Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-23, 05:17

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Fasting for 24 hours could weaken the immune system

Quote:
Fasting for 24 hours could weaken the immune system

Mice that fasted for 24 hours had more inflammation and were more likely to die from a bacterial infection than mice on a regular eating schedule

Fasting has previously been suggested as a useful approach for preventing or managing chronic diseases such as cancer, obesity and heart disease – but results from mouse studies show prolonged fasts may impair the immune system.

Filip Swirski at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York and his colleagues analysed blood and tissues samples from five mice without access to food for 24 hours. Blood tests comparing these mice with those given a regular diet showed that, on average, the fasting mice had less than 10 per cent of the number of monocytes – a type of white blood cell that helps fight infections and recruits other immune cells to treat injury.

“These are the cells that are really critical foot soldiers of the immune system,” says Swirski. The researchers found the decrease was due to monocytes retreating from the blood to the bone marrow, where they essentially hibernated, he says.

As a result, when the fasting mice were given food again, monocytes rushed back into their bloodstream. “Because there is this excess of monocytes that are hibernating and living in the bone marrow, they survive longer than they would otherwise,” says Swirski. “So, upon re-feeding, what we see is a surge of monocytes.” Compared with mice that continued to fast or those that never fasted, these mice had nearly four times as many monocytes in their blood, on average.

To understand how this affected immunity, he and his team injected 45 mice with a strain of bacteria that infects the lungs. Twenty-three of the mice fasted for 24 hours before the injection. The researchers then allowed them to access food.

After 72 hours, nearly 90 per cent of the mice that fasted died, while about 60 per cent of the mice that never fasted died. The mice on restricted diets also had greater levels of inflammation, suggesting that long periods of fasting impair immune responses.

However, Satchidananda Panda at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in California says that most common fasting regimens for humans don’t last 24 hours. In fact, his own research has shown that a 15-hour fast improves immunity in mice.

Even so, Swirski says these findings are important for how we think about the duration and implications of fasting. “Like so many things in life, balance is important. So, what may be beneficial in one way could have an unanticipated negative impact in another,” he says.

Journal reference: Immunity, DOI: 10.1016/j.immuni.2023.01.024

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...-immune-system/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-23, 05:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Very 🤔 interesting.

Yet NIH did a study where fasting during chemo therapy significantly reduced the negative impacts like hair loss. Published in 2005- or 2006.

Clearly the takeaway is reduce exposure to lethal infection during fast.....like don't get a jab at that time. Or Avoid sick children.

I would like to see the study using a different model. Like putting healthy mice next to a sick one with a contagious virus. Does the usual avenue ,thru mucosal linings, have a different outcome.

Do study on comparing obese mice and normal weight mice..

Thanks for posting. I will be sure to stay home....oh ,wait, ☺️ i already di that. My pandemic routine is still in place: stay home.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-23, 06:52

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I have a new take on fasting. I've read a couple of books recently where they theorized that vegan diets are so poor in bioavailability of any actual nutrients, that their "healing" qualities are really that they can act as a low calorie fast.

If, as I suspect happens 99% of the time, it's a SAD eater turning vegan. Which will only kill them quicker, IMHO, but the sheer bulk of what they eat, while they lose weight and feel great, can feel magical.

I think they have explained the Vegan Honeymoon Effect. Which means fasting is good for people. We still don't know about mice.

Last edited by WereBear : Sat, Feb-25-23 at 15:17.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-23, 09:27

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Of course, the study subjects were mice. How that translates to humans is the real question in this case. Many potential variables involved that could confound these conclusions. To conclude that fasting for 24 hours could weaken the immune system is not a bad conclusion, but I'd be a lot more concerned if I were a rodent.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-23, 16:44

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

That would be an easy test to do on humans. It's just fasting for 24 hours with a before and after blood test.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-13-23, 08:28

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

For me, fasting is great when I'm well. But not when I'm sick. Now, fat adapted, I can adjust my fat intake for energy. I have options I learned from the Atkins fat fast to do that. That's how I actually became underweight by a little.

I needed to emphasize protein until I found the right level. Now, I've found adding fat seems to be what I need.

A sign I am running on ketones. I burn fat, but I also need to eat extra for just a bit of storage. No worries, it was at my last checkup and nothing bad is going on. He said, "if you add some healthy carbs it isn't a problem." He's a happy bullet proof coffee man.

Lack of appetite which I'm treating with morning glory root. Tastes great in dairy. My favorite adaptogenic herb. Arctic root is what native arctic people use, and many people like it. It comes in capsules so you don't have to worry about the taste.

I have a few I cycle through. Then rest. Don't want to become adapted, and stop responding. Like now, I start one with 1/4 tsp twice a day, for six to eight weeks. I have missed it!