Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#226   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-19, 11:30

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

WOW!! 3 minutes is HUGE!

I keep trying to help my kids go low carb, and play on the increase in capability..... in hopes they will hear the message. Fortunately I can control much of their intake!
Sponsored Links
  #227   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-19, 11:31

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Happy New Year!!
  #228   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-19, 21:18

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
Kelsey and I ran a 5K on the indoor track at the Y last night. I was 23 hours fasted and ran before dinner. My time was 3+ minutes faster than my December 5K times.

Mile 1 pace: 11:42 min/mile
Mile 2 pace: 11:16 min/mile
Mile 3 pace: 10:15 min/mile
.1 mile "sprint" to the finish: 7:51 min/mile
Total time: 34:00
Overall average pace: 10:58

That pace is on par with my best 10K time. I've got 3 months to improve upon it. April's 10K will be here before I know it.

I have always been worried about fasting while working out. Reading this has really motivated me to give it a try. Maybe at least once a week. Currently in the middle of my first 24 hr fast. So far felt fine through the morning workout and throughout the day. It will be interesting to see how I skate tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration.
  #229   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-19, 20:34
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Kel wanted to run at the Y again today. I ran another 5K with only one day off in between. To my surprise I ran it a little faster than the last time out.

Mile 1 pace: 11:27 min/mile
Mile 2 pace: 10:40 min/mile
Mile 3 pace: 10:01 min/mile
.1 mile "sprint" to the finish: 9:09 min/mile
Total time: 33:04
Overall average pace: 10:40
  #230   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-19, 10:56
Say NO to Diabetes!

Kel is wearing me out. So we did that 5K on Saturday and what does she want to do on Sunday? "Dad - Lets go do some interval training at the school track." It was an unseasonably warm day for January (63 degrees). I decided to ride my bike to the track. So yesterday I bicycled for 7.5 miles and walked & sprinted 4 miles at the track.

Kel and I did 120 yard sprints, walking the remainder of the lap on the 1/4 mile track. We did that 8 times, then walked a couple more miles to warm down.

We even raced a couple of times. She is faster by about 15 yards. Much to my surprise I feel fine today. I can feel that my hamstrings had a nice workout, but I am not sore at all. Our plan is to do another 5K at the Y this Tuesday. I think that I'll be fully recovered and ready to go by then.

Last edited by khrussva : Mon, Jan-07-19 at 13:13.
  #231   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-19, 21:01
Say NO to Diabetes!

Workout night at the Y. Both Kel and Courtney joined me tonight. Both are doing the 10K in April and both are bringing their boyfriends along. Fun, fun, fun.

I'm fasting again today. 24 hour since my last meal. Ran my best 5K time yet.

Mile 1 pace: 11:09 min/mile
Mile 2 pace: 9:41 min/mile
Mile 3 pace: 9:02 min/mile
.1 mile "sprint" to the finish: 7:35 min/mile
Total time: 30:37
Overall average pace: 9:53

Looks like I'm just about there as far as my pace goes. Just a little faster X 2 and I'll get my sub-60 min 10K. It's time to start working in some longer runs.
  #232   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-19, 02:46

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wow, you are almost at the 9-minute mile. At this rate, you will achieve your 10k goal.
  #233   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-19, 12:22
Say NO to Diabetes!

I had a little hiccup with my workouts the other day. Last Thursday I'd planned to jog 4 miles at the Y. Half way through the 2nd mile my hamstrings started cramp. I ran a few more laps and it wasn't getting any better so I cut the workout short at 2 miles. I think that the sprints form Sunday and perhaps my lack of a two day break recently must have caught up with me. The only other times that I've experienced cramping before was in the days following high intensity training (aka running as fast as I can in short bursts). BTW: I was not fasted before that run -- I went right after dinner.

Mile 2 pace: 10:47 min/mile
Total time: 22:16
Overall average pace: 11:07
  #234   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-19, 18:45
Say NO to Diabetes!

No signs of tightening hamstrings on today's workout. I put in another decent 5K time at the indoor track at the Y...

Mile 1 pace: 10:51 min/mile
Mile 2 pace: 10:03 min/mile
Mile 3 pace: 9:34 min/mile
.1 mile "sprint" to the finish: 7:47 min/mile
Total time: 31:12
Overall average pace: 10:05

Kel beat my 5K time (again) by a couple of minutes. She runs her fastest mile first, then the pace slows down. On these 5K's I do the opposite. So on this 16th of a mile track she laps me quickly early on, a few times in the middle of the run, and by the end of her run I have caught up to and surpassed her pace. Of course I still have several laps to go to finish up the 5K. Kel commented today that she knows that she can kick my butt in a 5K, but the jury is still out on the full 10K. I can keep going and going and going at my pace. She can't sustain her pace for 5K, let alone a full 10K. The race is 3 months from today. We are both taking our training very seriously. May the best Russell win!
  #235   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-19, 08:41
Say NO to Diabetes!

I opted to go on my own to the gym last night so that I could run the opposite direction on the Y's little indoor track. They alternate direction daily. The tight corners stress the joints quite a bit and I'd read that this can be a problem if you don't balance it out by working out in both directions.

Kel likes Tue, Thurs, & Saturday workouts -- all the 'clock-wise' days. This is her last week at home before returning to GMU. After Thursday I can workout on my own schedule again. It has been fun having her home. The completion has made us both work a little harder.

I added a mile to what has become my typical 5K workout. 4.1 miles. Looking back I realized that I had not run 4 miles since November when I was still doing the low-zone cardio MAF training. I was jogging slow 13 to 14 minute miles. I've picked up the pace quite a bit since Kel's been home. Here are my mile splits for last night's run:

Mile 1 pace: 12:14 min/mile
Mile 2 pace: 11:18 min/mile
Mile 3 pace: 10:53 min/mile
Mile 4 pace: 9:59 min/mile
.1 mile "sprint" to the finish: 7:41 min/mile
Total time: 45:11
Overall average pace: 11:01

I was working out fasted 23 hours. I watched a video this past weekend about the benefits of such workouts -- training your body to more efficiently burn fat. I didn't push too hard on this run until the last few laps. As I warmed up each mile got a little faster. My energy was good. No tight muscles or cramps this time. Good workout. I may join Kel on her workout tonight. Walk or run? I'll wait and see how I feel.
  #236   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-19, 22:07
Say NO to Diabetes!

I tagged along with Kel on her Tuesday workout. I'd run 4.1 miles the day before, so I decided to run 2.1 miles on this workout for a total of 10K in two days. Here were my results:

Mile 1 pace: 11:49 min/mile
Mile 2 pace: 10:00 min/mile
.1 mile "sprint" to the finish: 9:23 min/mile
Total time: 22:46
Overall average pace: 10:50
  #237   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-19, 22:20
Say NO to Diabetes!

Tonight Kel and I went to the Y for our last workout together before April's 10K. She is headed back to school tomorrow. I've really enjoyed this time together -- company and friendly competition. We both put in our best efforts and achieved good times. My results:

Mile 1 pace: 11:20 min/mile
Mile 2 pace: 10:07 min/mile
Mile 3 pace: 9:42 min/mile
.1 mile "sprint" to the finish: 7:54 min/mile
Total time: 31:58
Overall average pace: 10:18

Not quite as good as my last 5K. I'll take it. Kel ran a full 5K for the first time. No walking at all. Needless to say, that produced her best time yet... 28 minutes 13 seconds. Her best 10K so far has been one hour and 15 minutes. I have no doubt that she is going to do the next one in under an hour. The hope is that both of us will.
  #238   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-19, 15:38
Say NO to Diabetes!

Default Practice 10K on the indoor track at the Y

I ran my first ever practice 10K. When prepping for the last 3 10Ks I don't think that I ever ran more than 5 miles -- and that only one time. Between now and April I'm planning on doing this several more times. Maybe then the 10K will just feel like another workout. Todays workout was work. For those last 2 miles I was feeling the burn in my legs.

For today's run I just wanted to find a decent pace and then just do my best to sustain it. I wasn't loafing, but I wasn't pushing the pace hard either -- not until that last .2 miles. Here are today's 10K results:

Mile 1 pace: 11:28 min/mile
Mile 2 pace: 10:56 min/mile
Mile 3 pace: 11:10 min/mile
Mile 4 pace: 10:53 min/mile
Mile 5 pace: 11:03 min/mile
Mile 6 pace: 10:52 min/mile
.2 mile "sprint" to the finish: 8:01 min/mile
Total time: 68:01
Overall average pace: 10:57

I was running on two days rest. While that is my 2nd fastest 10K ever, I was hoping for better. I need to shave 8 minutes off of that time to hit my goal.

Weather permitting I'd like to do an outdoor 10K soon. The fitness tracker cannot use GPS indoors. The distance is simply an estimated calculation based on who knows what -- my step count, cadence, typical stride length? I'd like to find out how accurate this estimate is by running outside with GPS tracking thrown into the mix.

Another thing to consider is that this indoor track is only 1/16th of a mile. There are 4 fairly sharp 90 degree corners per lap. Do the math and that is slowing down for 397 corners to complete a 10K. I have no idea how much this affects my overall time. I do know that the tight corners do add stress to the workout. Running outdoors won't have all of those tight corners, but the surface won't be flat as a pancake either. So again it is hard to know how an indoor vs. outdoor 10K will compare. That's why I want to do one.

Last edited by khrussva : Thu, Jan-24-19 at 11:34.
  #239   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-19, 22:00
Say NO to Diabetes!

I ran another 5K at the Y tonight. Looks like 3.1 miles is going to be my new 'short' workout. During the first mile I was feeling a little leg tired and sluggish from my 10K two days earlier, but after that I felt good. The 3rd mile was my fastest yet.

Mile 1 pace: 11:44 min/mile
Mile 2 pace: 10:33 min/mile
Mile 3 pace: 8:52 min/mile
.1 mile "sprint" to the finish: 7:39 min/mile
Total time: 31:53
Overall average pace: 10:18

The track at the Y is supposed to be 16 laps per mile. I counted laps for the first mile today while running the outside lane. It took me a few steps past 17 laps before my fitness app reported a mile. So perhaps I am doing a little better than I think I am. I need to get outside to find out.
  #240   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-19, 07:40
Say NO to Diabetes!

Yesterday at the Y I ran a 5K with the same kind of effort I did doing the 10K the other day. I just found the pace I was comfortable with and went with it without pushing the limits too much. Even a rather leisurely jog resulted in a decent time.

Mile 2 pace: 11:11 min/mile
Mile 3 pace: 10:07 min/mile
.1 mile "sprint" to the finish: 7:27 min/mile
Total time: 33:28
Overall average pace: 10:48

The first mile of the run is me warming up. It is never enjoyable and tends to be my slowest mile of the run by far. During that first mile I'm always having second thoughts about how far to run. I'm thinking "2 miles will be enough for today." But by the end of the 2nd mile I am warmed up and feeling fine. I don't think twice about marching on to finish the 5K. That has been the pattern. Next week I want to mix that up a bit by brisk walking for 10 minutes before I start, then run the 5K pushing at my limits. I think it's time for me to break the 30 minute barrier.

Last edited by khrussva : Fri, Jan-25-19 at 10:27.