Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 10:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/148/133 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%

I'm pretty sure that there's nothing in Atkins recommending carbing out. I suspect Dr A would regard it as dangerous (if for no other reason than the possibility that you would regain your cravings for sweets.)
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 11:41

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

Just for those interested there is a section in the Atkins book about "the myth of carb loading". For those who want to include this idea I recommend trying Carbohydrate Addicts Diet which allows a similar idea of a carb blowout every day. In the reward meal you are allowed to eat whatever carbs you want as long as you balance it with protein and what they call "craving reducing vegetables". For those on pure Atkins however, this is definitely not an "atkins" idea. I personally am a complete carb addict so I first tried the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet. I bought actually all 3 books...Atkins, Protein Power and Carbo Addicts. Oddly enough the carbohydrate addicts diet is the one that lets you have the most carbs!!! For msyelf this is not a good thing. I find it just restarts the cravings. But I do believe there are some who don't experience this type of allergic reaction to carbs that Atkins describes. For those that can handle the carbs I would recommend trying the CAD. However, for those, who adhere to atkins religiously, I can safely say Dr. Atkins would not be advocating carb loading. Just my 2 cents!! I highly recommend reading his book cover to cover more than once. He really talks about plateaus in there and he is very detailed in his advice about it. He has a whole chapter devoted to it. There really is no substitute for reading the book yourself. I have found it to be the most important book in my house next to the Bible! I own 2 atkins books. I carry the smaller one in my purse and the other stays at home. (I am a little fanatical about it but I figure knowledge is power and when you find something that works commit it to memory!)
  #198   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 13:58
<---The Crazy One!

Stats: -/-/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%

i had too much to drink last night..and woke up feeling gross..(i drank on an empty stomach last night..and threw up )but my body felt like it needed carbs..so i had about 160grams today...i'm not really proud..i wan't planning on doing carb days anymore.but i gave what my body needed...i had half a double cheeseburger..half med fries..med choc milkshake,tall soy latte w/ 1raw sugar and 2m&ms...i just had that within 1hr...and i'm feeling stuffed..and gross..i lost 4pounds over night though..but i prob gained it back ...
  #199   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 15:49
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

There's a new article on the Atkins web site that is somewhat appropriate.

http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-370312.html

Quote:
Another more serious concern is the impact this going back and forth can have on your metabolism. (See "The Wrong Way to Do Atkins" ) You may have heard people say, “I love doing Atkins because I can cheat on the weekends, then go back to Induction on Monday morning.” While this behavior pattern may work for the short term, it will probably backfire in more ways than one. It's likely that your metabolism will adapt at a certain point—in a sense, developing a tolerance. People who repeatedly regain weight and go back to Induction sometimes find that they do not experience the dramatic and easy weight loss they initially enjoyed. Add in the facts that none of us is getting any younger and that our metabolism's natural tendency is to slow down with passing years. Finally, your body pays a price healthwise if you dramatically switch back and forth repeatedly from a fat-burning to a glucose-burning metabolism.

The Wrong Way to Do Atkins http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-535293.html

Quote:
Misconception: You can do Induction during the week and binge on weekends and still lose or maintain weight.
Reality: When you do Atkins during the week and then cheat on the weekends, for several days after your binge you are no longer burning fat. At most, you could be in the fat-burning state for only three days each week. In addition, you may have overstimulated your insulin response, increasing the metabolic risk factors underlying your weight problem. Remember that when you burn fat, dietary fat is also being burned. However, if you combine high carbs with high fat—the typical American diet—you can be increasing your cardiovascular risks.

Misconception: Atkins can be used as a short-term or crash diet.
Reality: If you do Induction for two weeks to drop 10 pounds and then go back to your old way of eating, you will be treating it as a crash diet. But that goes against everything Dr. Atkins recommends, and will lead to problems in the long run.

Last edited by LadyBelle : Sun, Aug-24-03 at 15:51.
  #200   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 17:24

Stats: 226.5/193.0/185 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

That is similar to what I did last night Vpeach. Worked hard all day, ate very little until dinner and then dined on white wine, small prime rib, and salad. Ran into friend, rode her on bike until two AM and since there was no wine or low carb beer available finished myself off with Lebatts. Weighed almost what I did prior to my cheat day at the faire when I checked this morning, must have been all the liquid.
  #201   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 19:12
<---The Crazy One!

BF:

it sucks..doesn't it? i really wanted to get away from cheating...since i read that article that ladybelle mentioned a week ago..i was trying to stay away from carbs... but..i didn't control myself i guess..now i feel bad ..but...oh well..i rarely drink..and i dnot plan on going off anytime soon..hopefully those days that i can't control myself will be in the past.......
  #202   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 19:44

Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by armywife3
[QUOTE=absinthe]She says that eating the carbs will keep the metabolism going.

-----

What worries me is that it will also restart the cravings. For me stabilizing my blood sugar is what made the cravings go away. I was constantly overeating due to these cravings. If I was to have a carb day wouldn't that just mess up my blood sugar and restart the cravings. It might jumpstart my metabolism, however if I started craving sweets again I would start eating them again and I'd just gain back the weight. The only reason I can succeed on this diet is because I don't have the cravings anymore. Maybe this only works for people who aren't total addicts like me.

I have read (several times) Dr. Atkins' original book and his latest, "Atkins For Life, and do not remember reading anything about carb blowout days being ok. Maybe it is there and I just missed it; I'd be curious to know. However, everyone is different so it may work for some and not others. I tried it once and it made me crave carbs even more; and made me feel hungry again much sooner. Didn't work for me at all! Again, everyone is different so I can't say how you would do with it. Myself, it's easier for me to leave something alone entirely, than to have it once in awhile as a teaser. Just speaking for myself.
  #203   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 10:29

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan1974
I tried it once and it made me crave carbs even more; and made me feel hungry again much sooner.

This is the same for me. The entire point of the Atkins diet is to level out one's blood sugar so that you no longer crave those things. Once you stop craving them then it is effortless. So the idea of carb loading is not at all an Atkins idea and in fact is a complete contradiction of the Atkins WOE. To load back up on carbs is to start back up the cycle of craving which doesn't even make sense. Isn't the whole point to stop craving and not start it again? I think the better question to ask here is why would you even want to in the first place? If you have been truly relieved of your cravings then you will no longer desire to "cheat". If you are wanting to cheat then that means you have not leveled out your blood sugar. In order for Atkins to work you have to eliminate those things from your diet that are causing you to trigger cravings. Until that happens there will be a constant desire to cheat. I occasionally have my cravings triggered and it is always because of something I ate. A careful look at the ingredients always reveals something in there I am "allergic" to. Some people are sensitive to sugar, yeast, white flour. It is very important to fully investigate all the things you are "allergic" to. I would also like to mention that the article link posted above that was on the atkins site is actually an excerpt from the book. I am quite sure all the articles on that site are actually excerpts from the book. The section I described also about yeast, sugar etc. is in the book. There is a lot more in the book than just the list of acceptable foods!! I really think that it is very beneficial to thoroughly read his book and apply it to the letter. Only then will you be free of cravings. What we really need is a "craving free" icon!!! When you are craving free it follows naturally that you will be cheat free.
  #204   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 14:30

Stats: 190/140/140 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ah, I'm spoiled that way. Never was much of a carb person to begin with, so cravings were really not a problem for me.

Again, what I was talking about is slightly different from what the book refers to. I'm far from suggesting this be a pattern - in fact, quite the opposite. But through trial and error people learn things about their bodies. My body works in this particular way - after a (very infrequent, only had two, and both - by accident) carb blowout I seem to start loosing very fast. After one "allowed" chocolate bar I gain fast. There will be people who's bodies will react in the exactly opposite way.

Also, keep in mind that I'm consistenly on 20g a day - not becaue I'm trying too hard, I simply can't fit more in most of the time. I'll have an occasional day of 25 or 30, but most of the time it's somewhere between 18 and 22.
  #205   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 14:45

BF:

Should be interesting, having a Caribbean night at the house this weekend, sister bringing dessert. Cooking turkey in fryer, beans and rice available. Will try to pull will power from toes I guess.
  #206   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 16:32
<---The Crazy One!

BF:

good luck Bayrat! I know you will do great! I dont think i've ever had fried turkey...
  #207   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 16:40

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

Did have much choice this week-end. Spent my week-end at an agility trial (dogs) and lunch for saturday was Pizza & lunch for Sunday was Subway. I wass hungry & so I ate... The end! But had LC for dinner both nights and back to LC today. Oh well that's life. I'm not going to fret.
  #208   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 16:50

BF:

We shall see, I believe it can be done! After all, I have passed up numerous homemade cakes and cookies all summer and those are my downfall. First time for the fried turkey myself, never allowed body to have it before Atkins.
  #209   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 17:17
<---The Crazy One!

BF:

Let me know how it goes..k?
Thats good 2Airdales! you shouldn't fret...i should take your example...i was all p.oed yesterday cuz i screwed up...oh well..it happens.
  #210   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 17:27

BF:

Did you show much gain 2A's?