Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-13, 13:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Poppyseed Dressing -- LC

I had a wonderful salad mix (Sweet Kale) from Costco with a poppyseed dressing and I wanted to make the dressing LC.

I took this recipe from Epicurious and instead of using onion juice, I added about 1/3 cup of sweet onion and just pureed it in my Ninja blender. I used a mix of "Just Like Sugar" and liquid sucralose and did it to taste. Use whatever sweetener you want, but be cautious with Stevia. It might work, might not. I also added slightly less than 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum to make it thicker.

It tastes great!

Instead of using the sweetened dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds in the salad kit, I used roasted sunflower seed.

What a tasty and healthy salad!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Sat, Sep-21-13 at 15:32.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-13, 13:32

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Nancy, when you say "just sugar" do you mean this sweetener?

http://www.justlikesugar.com/

Im in rebellion against kale at the moment. All greens used to be cheap until someone decided they were haute cuisine and the prices all got jacked up. But this sounds like it would be good on mixed baby lettuces, too.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-13, 15:01

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Hmmmm, the recipe instructions say "Dissolve the sugar, salt and mustard in the vinegar" but there's no mustard in the ingredients list. Did you use table mustard, Dijon, or dry? And how much?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-13, 15:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

LOL! I didn't use mustard, probably because I didn't even read the instructions! Hmm... maybe I will go back and add it.

I would probably use dry mustard. Not sure how much. Maybe 1 tsp. One of the commenters used 2T. of Dijon, that seems like a lot.

This recipe uses 1 tsp of dry.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/poppyseed-dressing/

I'm fairly certain the Costco version didn't have mustard. It was very white.
I didn't dissolve anything into anything. I just poured the dry ingredients in the blender and blended it well, then I added the oil and xanthan gum.

Yeah, that was what I meant. "Just Like Sugar". You could use almost any sweetener you have on hand, except I would be wary of stevia. It might work, but it can be hard to work with.

Here's that Sweet Kale mix from Costco. Awesome ingredients and VERY good with the sweet dressing. I'm not sure I would like it without the off-setting sweet flavors because those greens can be kind of bitter.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Sat, Sep-21-13 at 15:33.