Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-08, 23:49

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%
Default Gail's Cornbread Stuffing Dressing

I got rave reviews with this recipe from my LC and non-LC Thanksgiving guests so I am confident you will love it too and of course, it was even better the day after Thanksgiving.

Step One:
The Bread:

1 Cup of Almond Flour
½ Cup of Flaxseed
1 Cup of Corn Juice (drain the juice only from 2 eight ounce cans of sweet corn)
4 Egg Whites
1 Package of Active Yeast
1 tsp of Baking Powder
1 tsp of Powdered Sage
½ tsp of Powdered Mace
½ tsp of Lawry’s Garlic Powder
½ tsp of salt
1 tsp of *regular* sugar *not splenda* to be absorbed by the Active Yeast (no added carbs)

Add all dry ingredients, then add in wet ingredients one at a time for eggs and slowly pour corn juice and mix all.

Preheat oven to 350
Bake bread for 1 ½ hours to get a crispy crust. After baking, slice open bread and cut out the inner part of the bread because this will be firm, but not crusty. So cut it out and dice it then place back in over for 30 minutes or so - so that it is also crusty because we don’t want any soggy stuffing around here.

Once all of the bread is nice, crisp, and diced the you’re ready to move on to Step Two.

Step Two:
The Veggies, Seasonings & Meats

Sautee in butter 3 to 4 stocks of diced celery and 1 small chopped onion and/or scallions
1 tbls of Living Fresh Herbs Chives
1 tbls of Living Fresh Herbs Thyme
1 tbls of Living Fresh Herbs Sage
¼ cup of Melted Sweet Cream Butter
A few dashes of salt
½ cup of chicken broth to moisten (do not soak – only to moisten)
Cook up 1 small pot of turkey necks and giblets - remove all bones from necks chop up and add all to stuffing.
Cook up 5 slices of Smokey Bacon - dice and add to stuffing.
Chop up and add the dry ingredients to your diced bread, then add the butter then the chicken stock.

You are now ready to stuff your bird (I used Cornish hens).

Serves 6 to 8 guest

No. I do not know the carb count, I just know it's very low. Check fitday.com for exact carb count.

Thank you.

Dive deeply into who you really are, and have the courage to explore your most treasured dreams. Keep yourself connected to those dreams, and they will play out upon the stage of your life. ~Ralph Marston

Live life abundantly and enjoy yourself in your “Journey To Wellness” because it is by the grace of God that we are able to do so. ~Gail~

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will grant you the desires of you heart ~Psalms 37:4

Last edited by 2007 : Sat, Nov-29-08 at 00:03.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-08, 10:24

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Sounds awesome. I hadn't ever thought of just using the "juice" of canned corn to give a corn flavor to corn bread. I really need to try that. I have always just been using just a little real cornmeal combined with nut flours to get the desired taste.

One question though, are the "living fresh" herbs actually fresh herbs or are they dried? I haven't seen that brand around here before. I usually like to use fresh herbs normally in cooking and just unsure if this would work best.

Of course knowing myself even though most of the sugar you add would be used by the yeast I think I will substitute a sweetener that at least has some nutrients in it (maple syrup, brown rice syrup...or even raw sugar).
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-08, 14:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA

One question though, are the "living fresh" herbs actually fresh herbs or are they dried? I haven't seen that brand around here before. I usually like to use fresh herbs normally in cooking and just unsure if this would work best.

Of course knowing myself even though most of the sugar you add would be used by the yeast I think I will substitute a sweetener that at least has some nutrients in it (maple syrup, brown rice syrup...or even raw sugar).

No it's not dried...it's *living* as in *alive*. It is a *living* herb.

It is found in the fruit/veggie department and it comes in a clear box rooted in dirt so it is very much alive.

If you use a fake or substitute sweetner then it will be pointless to put in the active yeast because yeast needs real sugar to make it become *active* otherwise it remains dormaint and serves no purpose in being in the recipe so you can either use real sugar or leave it out because it would just be a waste.

Dive deeply into who you really are, and have the courage to explore your most treasured dreams. Keep yourself connected to those dreams, and they will play out upon the stage of your life. ~Ralph Marston

Live life abundantly and enjoy yourself in your “Journey To Wellness” because it is by the grace of God that we are able to do so. ~Gail~

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will grant you the desires of you heart ~Psalms 37:4
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-08, 15:21

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Thanks for the clarification on the herbs.

But just FYI all those sweeteners I mentioned are totally NOT artificial, maple syrup, brown rice syrup and raw sugar ALL contain plenty of real sugar. I already knew the purpose of the sugar in the recipe is to feed the yeast. I just would use them because at least they contain some nutrients (and additional flavour of course) unlike normal granulated white sugar.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-08, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA
Thanks for the clarification on the herbs.

But just FYI all those sweeteners I mentioned are totally NOT artificial, maple syrup, brown rice syrup and raw sugar ALL contain plenty of real sugar. I already knew the purpose of the sugar in the recipe is to feed the yeast. I just would use them because at least they contain some nutrients (and additional flavour of course) unlike normal granulated white sugar.

Yeah, sorry about that, I realized that *after* I posted my response. That's what I get trying to respond while I've got one foot out the door.

#6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-08, 22:03

I wanted to mention that it would be best to cook up (boil in salt water) your turkey necks and giblets/gizzards the evening before or several hours before making your stuffing since these meats take several hours to get tender.

Also, you will want to remove any fat parts from giblets/gizzards before adding to your stuffing and of course remove the meat from the bone of the turkey necks before adding to your stuffing.

Okay, I think that was it.

Oh...well with the Living Herbs...it doesn't have to be that exact brand it can be any brand as long as they are alive fresh herbs to get that wonderful taste they put in your dish.

You can use dried herbs if you like, but I don't think the taste will be anywhere near as good as with fresh live herbs.

Okay, yeah...that's it for now.

[Dive deeply into who you really are, and have the courage to explore your most treasured dreams. Keep yourself connected to those dreams, and they will play out upon the stage of your life. ~Ralph Marston

#7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 08:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

this sounds pretty good. sue
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-11, 12:29

Plan: Atkins/hcg/CNS/Diabetic
Stats: 305/288/220 Female 5'7"
BF:Try, try again!
Progress: 20%

Has anyone still around tried this recipe for Thanksgiving?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-03-11, 17:00

Talking

i have.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-12, 19:12

Talking

bumping since the holidays are just around the corner, besides i need to remember what i did myself.

Enjoy & Happy Holidays Everybody!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-12, 19:45
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007
bumping since the holidays are just around the corner, besides i need to remember what i did myself.

Enjoy & Happy Holidays Everybody!

Please don't bump recipe threads. If you wish to find a recipe again, all you need do is look through the Contents sticky, where all recipes are linked.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-12, 13:08

Wink

my bad.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-15-12, 15:15

Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

Good recipe! I want to try this one!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-12, 06:43

Stats: 165/116/110 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Sounds great but I wonder about the corn juice. Don't you think that would have starch (aka carbs) from the corn?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-12, 15:18

i'm sure it would have a minute amount since it is derived from corn.

it's never affected my loss even at the induction stage, but hey everybody is different if you feel that concerned just don't use it.