Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 17:14

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 165/155/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default natural dessicated thyroid horomone

Hi! Is anyone on natural dessicated porcine thyroid hormone or some type of natural thyroid hormone? How did this work for you? I hear that this is very similar to Armour. Also, do you know if this contains throxine? What is thyroxine? MY TSH levels are above 2.5, but my doctor won't perscribe thyroid meds b/c she doesn't think that it is too high, so I'm going to try the natural route.
Thanks!
Tori
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-02, 00:50
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Dessicated thyroid tablets are only available by prescription. As far as I know, Armour thyroid granules are similarly only available through a health practitioner or by prescription.

Any thyroid "glandular" extract that you may find at a health food store for sale over the counter has had all of the active thyroid hormone removed. This is required by law.

Natural thyroid remedies generally contain kelp or other iodine-rich herb ... iodine-deficiency can be responsible for sluggish thyroid function. However .. table salt has iodine added, and seafoods which are good sources of natural iodine, are available inland year-round, so iodine-deficiency isn't as common as it was 75 yrs ago.

Some other thyroid "boosters" sold in health food stores may actually be thermogenic stimulants, designed for fat-burning and weight loss. These may contain ephedra, guarana, caffeine, citrus aurantium and/or other compounds which are NOT recommended if you have thyroid disease.

There is some evidence that for women a TSH below 2 is best for proper thyroid function. If you are having hypothyroid symptoms such as low body temp, dry skin, thinning hair, fatigue, menstrual irregularities, high cholesterol, difficulty losing weight, depression etc, etc .. and your TSH is "normal" .. it would be a good idea to have the actual levels of the thyroid hormones measured .. free T4 and T3 as well.

Check out this article at About.com's Thyroid site HELP! My TSH Is "Normal" But I Think I'm Hypothyroid.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-02, 09:38

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 165/155/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Nope, I definately got raw dessicated thyroid hormone. You can order it on line at www.nutri-meds.com, and they also had it in the health food store I go to. The only ingrediant listed is raw dessicated thyroid hormone. Check out the website! They also sell the adrnal tablets. They are the same things as the prescription stuff.
Tori
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-04-09, 12:06

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
...Any thyroid "glandular" extract that you may find at a health food store for sale over the counter has had all of the active thyroid hormone removed. This is required by law...

For the sake of precision...
Quote:
Thyroid bovine glandular supplements have been used since the beginning of thyroid treatment. Dr. Barnes used Armour Thyroid, (available by prescription). However, over-the-counter thyroid glandular supplementations are also available. The over the counter thyroid glandulars come from pig glands just as the prescription drug Armour thyroid. However, unlike Armour Thyroid, over the counter thyroid glandulars contain no T4, only T3. By removing the T4 manufacturers can then legally sell the glandular extract with out a prescription. Since these raw thyroid tissue concentrates contain the active thyroid hormone T3, they can be used as a first line of treatment for low to moderate hypothyroid dysfunction. (ref)

So they are still very useful.

Patrick
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-04-09, 12:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Huh! I'll be damned! Interesting stuff.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-09, 17:07

Plan: Schwarzbein/gluten free
Stats: 148/146/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Look up Ann Louise Gittleman's blog from 8/24 on Sluggish Thyroid. It's all about the importance of iodine intake, absorption. I think you might be able to bypass any supplemental hormones.....
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-09, 18:29
Experimenter

BF:

Not if you don't have a functional thyroid.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-08-09, 19:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmezak
Look up Ann Louise Gittleman's blog from 8/24 on Sluggish Thyroid. It's all about the importance of iodine intake, absorption. I think you might be able to bypass any supplemental hormones.....

I took kelp for 6 months with no results. In my case, I really needed desiccated thyroid. Which is probably the case for anyone who was or still is severely overweight.

Patrick
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-09, 13:00

BF:

It looks like taking Kelp is useless. We need something like Iodoral.

Patrick
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 14:31

BF:

No I never meant that iodine would help someone with a non functioning or absent (surgically) gland. But before taking a glandular supplement, I think iodine may help. Also, I am not sure that kelp works. There are different forms of iodine and not all are equally absorbed. I have tried kelp also, and it hasn't made a difference. I am trying a low dose (12.5mg) of Iodoral to see if it will. If the problem is an iodine deficiency or inability to absorb it from food, this might help. Interestingly, celiac, or gluten problems can cause one to be low in iodine also.

Last edited by pmezak : Thu, Sep-10-09 at 14:57.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 15:00
Experimenter

BF:

I'm reading the Eades latest book and they mention that plain old kelp won't help. It might be that potassium iodide is a good thing. Haven't read their recommendation yet.

Besides, a lot of those kelp supplements have lead in them.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-10-09, 19:15

BF:
Default lead?

I just received my Iodoral today. It's the lowest formula, 12.5mgs. I took it and I am actually feeling quite good. Seems kind of fast for it to have an effect though. I will see how it goes and take 1 a day. I guess also Jacob Teitlebaum of Fatigued to Fantastic likes iodine supplementation. Just for the record, I had RAI for a hot nodule in around '97. Since then I have been taking .88mg of synthroid. I have pretty dry skin, and what seems to be fibroids....so I was reading about iodine when researching fibroids. Meanwhile I had thyroid abnormalities also. We'll see how it goes, but I will try to keep posting if it helps....I am about 15-20lbs overweight and I love low carb....
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-09, 08:15
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

My thyroid dr recommended 25mgs Ioderal/day. I felt good before but I seemed to feel a little better in 2 days.

pmezak your fibroids might be helped by progesterone, you can get it at the healthfood store also. I didn't realize you can have hormonal imbalances in your 20s, although a gynecologist told once that having a high estrogen to progesterone balance was probably causing my problem. The doctor in the book I'm reading says that he shrunk fibroids with progesterone. Do you have good T3 levels?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-09, 11:37

BF:

Yes, my t4, t3 levels are normal as of the last panel I had....I have read alot about progesterone also. Apparently in some people it can work the opposite and make fibroids grow. I have tried it in the past, with a functional md, but I didn't see any change. Now I am trying the iodine....
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-09, 12:16
Experimenter

BF:

The Eades recommend Ioderol in their new book. It's just awfully expensive for iodine.