Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 12:38

Plan: I just look at all nuitritional labels of everything I eat to reduce carbs
Stats: 153/150/130 Female 5'8"
BF:36%
Progress:
Angry Could DEPO PROVERA be the reason why I haven't lost ONE OUNCE on DAY 7 of INDUCTION?

Here's what I've eaten so far

Breakfast: 2-3 eggs (>1 carb) sometimes with cheese and mushrooms for an omelette (cheese=about 1, I hear MUSHROOMS are GOOD for induction but it doesn't say their carb count) and TURKEY BACON(ZERO CARBS)

lunch: SALAD with 3 cups of lettuce (2 carbs)and 3/4 cup of baby spinach(1 carb), alfalfa sprouts (1 carb)Mushrooms, (3/4- 1 cup)cheddar (1 carb) and Mozzarella cheeses(1 carb), and some sort of turkey or chicken meat with 2 or less carbs and a hard boiled egg ( I figure a total of 4 eggs a day is about 3 carbs)

dinner: shrimp (ZERO carbs), SCALLOPS (2 carbs) and BROCOLLI (3 carbs)
Also some times steak (with zero carbs)

I drink 8 or more 8 oz. glasses of water each day AND i'm staying away from the ALCOHOL!

Yet on DAY 7, I get on the SCALE. STILL 150 lb, and 37% BODY FAT. Is THIS NORMAL? Or would it have to be for a SPECIFIC REASON.

I heard that sometimes contraceptives like pills or DEPO PROVERA can STALL the process. But I'd LIKE to THINK that HALF-WAY THROUGH INDUCTION, I'd LOSE SOMETHING...Just a FEW POUNDS, maybe?

Does anybody know if DEPO PROVERA would cause LOW CARB to be INEFFECTIVE OR if I will EVER see some results? I realize I don't have THAT MUCH weight to LOSE and so the PROCESS will go SLOWER. But I'd like to think I'll lose SOMETHING at SOME point.

Is it necessary to STOP taking DEPO in order NOT to STAY at 150 lb with 37% BODY FAT? OR am I just being impatient?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 12:44

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

I think you are being impatient and should give it more time.
BUT, depo is notorious for causing weight gain and hard weight loss. My 20 year old sister, who is about 105 pnds and has the metabolism of a hummingbird, gained about 10 pounds of FAT while on depo. She decided to stop and has since lost weight.

Also, depo wouldn't cause low carb to be ineffective; the type of diet wouldn't matter.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 14:23

Plan: generic low carb now
Stats: 210/212/145 Female 63
BF:plenty
Progress: -3%

I gained 25 lbs. in 6 months on Depo. Never again. I now have had an IUD for 4 years with no problems.

Depo will make it harder to lose but stick to it. We call low carb a WOE (way of eating) not a diet because it is not just about weight loss but getting healthy. The weight will come off, but it may take a while. But, good for you, you have made it through a week and it will get easier after breaking the carb addictions.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 23:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I gained 20 lb in 6 mos on that Depo - never again will I have that stuff.
Be patient and keep trying, I am a slow loser too, only 5 lb in 3 weeks, but progress is progress!