Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 11:04

Plan: Atkins-ish :D
Stats: 210/205/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Question Another Question about Depo Provera..and (Birth Control in General..)

Alright... Ive been on Depo for about 3 years now.. and for the most part, Ive never gotten my period while on it...BUT, last month I got my period full blown..(7 days..ugh..) and this month Im starting to spot... as in.. its not full on TOM, but its not just something I can ignore.. and I have no idea when its going to stop, its rather sporadic spotting..

Ive been on this WOL for maybe 3 months now.. but when I was on Atkins before this didnt happen... so.. I dunno.. I think its time to get off Depo and seek another alternative.. because I also believe that Depo is part of the weight gain problem.. (have gained 65 lbs in the last 3 years..since Ive been on it..) Sigh..

Anyone have any other birth control suggestions?? (Aside from the pill, I hate the pill..) Thanks..!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 11:46
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 180/169/150 Female 70 inches
BF:28/24.9/19
Progress: 37%
Default Re: Depo

I am new to the atkins diet (2 weeks) but definetly not new to the world of birth control. I was on the annoying pill for 2 1/2 years when I decided to start on the Depo shot for convenience. After about 15 months I started having unusual heart rythems: I would be doing nothing and my heart would start beating wildly. I would be short of breath, dizzy and my heart would start beating wildly from doing nothing more than standing up, or moving quickly.

Then my periods started doing what yours are may doing:unusually heavy and painful one month, spotting two weeks later, not another regular period for two months. And all the while my weird heart beats were getting weirder. I got spooked, went to a doctor and he took me off everything for 2 months then right back on the pill.

Since starting atkins, my first period has been about normal. I have not noticed any other birth control-to-diet related problems.

I hope you figure it out! and if your doctor gives you an idea other than the pill, please let me know. I would love to quit those things.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 12:14

Plan: Custom/Modified plan...25-40 carbs per day - it's working!!
Stats: // Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 25%

I'm on Ortho Evra (the new weekly patch), have been on it for 6 months. Been LCing for 2 months and all's regular. You DO get periods regularly, but I've found I can delay it about a week if I'm on vacation or something if I have to.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 13:19

BF:

Hmm.. Im just worried the patch will come off.. I have a tendency to pick at things on my body.. I would get an IUD, but I would like to have children within the next 5-6 years and dont know if an IUD is a sensible option... my next appt is the end of August with a new gynecologist.. so Im hoping the new one will have some ideas for me.. Thanks all..
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 14:53

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Don't be afraid of IUD's. Generally they're not recommended for women unless they're in a monogamous relationship, as they do increase your chances of catching a STD through unprotected sex. Some doctors will give them to married women who don't want children in the near future. Overall, a year after removal the pregnancy rate is the same as if you'd never had the IUD in the first place.

There are basically two types widely available - one that lasts for 10 years (10 years!) and one that's removed after a year. I have the 10-year IUD, and it doesn't "expire" until 2006.

IUDs are widely used in Europe and they're about 99% effective - more so than birth control pills. And no hormones! The depo-provera shot made me fatter and took away my sex drive and the pill made me crazy.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 16:03

BF:

Ahh Chelle! My sex drive is almost nil.. I hate it.. I wish I could not be affected by it, but I mean.. to force yourself to want to have sex isnt normal, and its not fun.. Maybe its the Depo? Because I wasnt like that before... I will ask my new gyno what she thinks about an IUD... thank you so much for your reply..
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 17:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/172/163 Female 69.5
BF:28.5%/25.3%/23%
Progress: 74%

I'm new here, but I'll throw in my 2-cents anyway.

My main forum use is Hair Loss Talk, a slightly different emphasis. But I've gained information over the past few months that may help.

When you see your new gyn, get your estrogen and progesterone checked, and also their ratio. If they are out of balance, all sorts of unhappy things can happen: hair loss, LOW sex drive, PMS, weight gain settling on the waist, migraines, etc.
See: http://www.johnleemd.com/
Part of your problem may be estrogen-dominance. It could have been a factor in your hair loss, L/C simply set it off.

No thoughts on B/C, I'm past that time of life.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 22:33

BF:

Thanks MarieJoe.. as far as hair loss... I havent experienced that...(I have thick, waist-length hair!!) but I will definitely have my hormone levels checked... thanks again..!!