Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-03, 08:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Is Provera the same as Depo Provera?

My Dr. wants me to take Provera to get TOM started, which is almost 2 months overdue. I made a search and found a lot of info on Depo Provera, mostly posts that say Depo Provera causes stalls and people have difficulty loosing while on it.

Should I take the Provera or not? I have not lost a pound for 2-3 weeks now. Could it be water retention due to TOM?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 23:52

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Provera and Depo-Provera are two entirely different drugs. Provera is used to induce a period and Depo-Provera is birth control. If your doctor feels you need to have a period, then by all means do it. Not having a period for an extended period of time only increases your chances of cancer.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-03, 08:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Thanks for your reply. I had not heard of cancer because of lack of TOM.
I have the Provera pills, although I'm waiting because I have to take a long airplane trip next week and I'm afraid of heavy bleeding. I will probably start taking them next week.
Also, I have to admit, I'm afraid of weight gain while taking them. Although I'm not sure why I'm so afraid of weight gain, really. I have not lost a single ounce in more than a month. I sure hope it is due to the lack of period/TOM. I have even cut all the LC bars/chocolate, etc and the scale seems to be going up!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 18:22
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 150/138/115 Female 5'2''
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hey Latingirl,
Whatever you do do not go on Depo-provera, I was on it for a while and my usual 110lbs went to 150 in a short amount of time...I wanted to cry everyday...
I'm sure what your Doc. is giving you is not the same at all.

BTW, where are you from?

Raquel