Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 04:48
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 176/170/130
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default antidepressants, chronic illness and low carbing

Hello, I'm new and this is my first post. I haven't started the diet yet-well I tried going on the Scasrdale, which I could do before for 2 weeks no problem-thi stime I couldnt' even do it for one day. The craving for sweets was so bad. Now, I have a few questions, if anyone could help, I would appreciate it very much. First of all, right now I'm on amitriptyline-I know this makes you gain weight. The problem is, it seems all antidepressants do. So which one should I try? I've tried wellbutrin-couldnt' breathe. I also could'nt breathe on 50mcg of l-thyroxine(synthroid). My thyroid is borderline hypo-6-8 TSH-it fluctuates, but since I can't take the pills-I dont' know what I'm supposed to do about that. I have been chronically ill for over four years now. All my tests come up "normal". I'm exhausted, muscle pain, brain fog, can't work, can't sleep, reflux everyday(bring up food), weakness, bad skin, hair loss, dry eyes, problem going to the bathroom etc. I've seen an endocrinologist-everything's "normal" hormone wise-except a low cortisol, but when they stimulated it-it was "normal"-case closed. I'm at least 40 pounds overweight.Anyway, What antidepressant would you recommend for least weight gain and what the heck do you do about really bad cravings for sweets. I've got will power-I've quit smoking, drinking, and a lot of other things-this use to be far less of a problem-but like I said-I couldn't even stick to Scarsdale for one day! I think I have CFS, noise bothers me, smells bother me-heck-everything bothers me! I would like to try low carbing. Thank you for this message board-sorry for the long post.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 14:58
Registered Member

BF:

Hi again, I read over my post and I thought that Iit looked like I haven't read the other posts. I have read through this thread. I just wondered if anyone had experience with an antidepressant where they didn't gain weight, or not very much. About the cravings, obviously a person just has to tough it out, but I wondered if anyone found anything that might help with that. I know that lowcarbing is a way of life and not a diet and I want to start. I've started reading Dr.Atkins book, and I read the scarsdale book, but I don't know if that is considered lowcarbing. I'll look around the site and look into the different plans. I just wondered for now about the antidepressant , as I have an appointment with my doctor to change from amitriptyline to something else. Thanks.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 08:24

Plan: schwarzbein/ hellers low carb
Stats: 150/142/119
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hi eurydice,
I wrote u a really long reply yesterday ....then lost it thanks to my husband ......who was trying to be helpful!

So i'll keep it shorter today!

I empathise with your plight as a fellow me/cfs sufferer......if u need to check whether u have me/cfs there r some very good sites on the net. There are also sites re: antidepressants and weight gain.....worth having a look.

I'm also hypo thyroid and take armour thyroid and doing very well on it.

In regards to a low carb diet the first 2 weeks were hell for me but i stuck it out as i knew it was withdrawal............I had bad depression as my serotonin levels plummeted......but that was me not necc that that will be your experience.

I now take St johns wort (herbal antidepressant)to support my serotonin levels....and now i'm getting used to low carbing my energy (what little i have )is far more stable......and eventually my serotonin levels will normalise in time.

I would recommend the schwarzbein principle as a good read re healing your metaboloism she also mentions the use of antidepressants and what they do to your metabolism.

Which ever plan u choose to follow it is worth it .........my ME/CFS CONSULTANT RECOMMENDS A LOW CARB DIET and she is the medical consultant to ACTION FOR ME......she even does it herself!

If u need to ask me anything email me if u like.

Liberty x

I
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 13:28
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Liberty, Thanks for your reply. Forgive my ignorance, but I looked at your profile and don't know how to email you. Thanks for pointing me in a beginning direction. I'm going to check out the Schwarzbein Principle from the library today. I'm really curious about the armour thyroid you mentioned, I've never heard of it. I'll look it up. I hope that whatever it is, there's something like it in Canada. Thanks again! I really like this board. It's a good feeling to know that there's other people who feel like I do, but who've gotten some kind of relief. I've been going out of my mind.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 18:01
Registered Member

Stats: 330/330/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Hi there

I know not everyone is the same, or going through the same problems. But I've been through the antidepressant search and still go through the chronic pain and sheer frustration!

Sweet cravings are hard, I still get them even being an LCer. Usually at 10 at night. However, I don't ignore them, I find something with a little sugar and some fiber in them so my head doesn't ache from eating it. And I don't eat a lot of it, just enough to put that craving to rest.

As for antidepressants. I was on wellbutrin then they pushed me up to serzone. Regardless (and this is why I say everyone's different) it didn't do anything but make me worse. I went radical and bucked the system going in for vitamin and mineral IV therapy with an alternative doctor and my depression was gone in two weeks.

What kind of vitamins are you taking? What kinds of foods do you eat? Those can make a big difference in how you feel. When I feel like absolute crap and the world sucks, that's when I want sugar... really, really bad.

As for which WOL... I switch around to see which one suits me. I did Atkins ages ago and hated it because it was so restrictive. A few months ago I started back again with Schwarzbien (which I'm basically doing now, but modified). And I've read most of the books on LCing. It has helped me, I found I feel better when I eat this way. And I try to do some kind of exercising when I don't hurt a lot. That helps too.

Search around and try different ones out and see what works best for you and makes you happy. Stress is a big factor in our health. And not being happy causes stress.

Welcome and good luck in your search. Help is always here when you need it.

- Bry
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 18:39
Registered Member

BF:

Hello Brycielan, thanks for your post. As far as the foods I eat. I usually wake up pretty late because I'm up and down all night-every night, so I get up, I have 2 cups of coffee with cream and sugar at around 11:00 or noon. Then I don't eat until supper. But I'm not hungry and sometimes I even feel sick enough so I can't eat. Yes-I know this is bad-so when I remember, I shove a half a grapefruit or apple into my mouth. Then comes supper. Usually around 6 or so.My roomate does all the cooking. Basically healthy stuff-to non-low carbers I mean-lean meat, vegetables, salad, light dressing. Not too much butter,etc. Then comes the problems. I usually have a huge can of carnation hot chocolate and I have a few of those. At night is when I go nuts for chocolate and start screaming for chocolate cake, bars, what ever. I usually try to stick to a few cups of hot chocolate, but I've been known to eat cake every night for a month.-But that's not most of the time. I also have earl grey tea with cream and honey. And some leftover supper later. I know that's a very messed up schedule, but it is difficult with my illness, I'm better off at night (feeling wise) the entire day pretty much goes by before I even get dressed. Anyway, I thought that usually-even with the cups of hot chocolate-as long as I'm not eating the cake or whatever-I'm still taking in 1500-2000 calories a day AND vomiting most of it up every night after supper, due to reflux-this has been going on every day for over 4 years-getting pretty sick of it. I have to keep an icecream bucket in the living room, because I coudlnt' possibly run back and forth to the bathroom that often. So I really wondered through all this-how can I maintain 170 pounds? Obviously some changes need to be made. I stopped taking the amitriptyline last night. I got the Schwarzbein book out, it's 5:20 and I had my coffee-can't do without that just yet-a cup of tea with cream and a touch of honey, an apple and I'm going to have pork in tomato sauce without rice or potatoes for supper (baked),carrots, broccoli, butternut squash and there is no hot chocolate or any other kind of chocolate or sweet in the house-except tea and honey, peanut butter and toast-I'll try to stick to the tea if I start going nuts. For vitamins, E, B, Cal/Mag, C, and cranberry so I dont' pee so often. I have to take a small amount of serax or soemthing if I'm not on antidepressant that makes you sleep.As far as the antidepressant, I guess I'll try Prozac or Zoloft. All antidepressants make you gain weight, but I think amitriptyline is alot worse. If those dont' work, or I can't take them, I'm going to try amino acids and /or St. Johns Wort. I will start the book and just try to keep away from deserts (sugar)and starches until I learn more. I bought some ketone sticks yesterday-probably a bit premature, but I thought they might help inspire me. I wonder how long before I should try them? And I go for short bike rides when I can. Sorry for going on and on. I've been kind of in a state. Thanks for your replies!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 19:23
Registered Member

BF:

Wow... that sounds so familiar! I've had fibromyalgia for 11 years now so I hope I can relate. I get up and cope until about two in the afternoon before I focus on the world. Or I try to anyway.

Okay, now everything I'm going to say you can take with a grain of salt, because this is just my experiences.

Acidic foods, like grapefruits... they can be really harsh on a person with stomach problems. Most raw foods are. So are processed foods, and fried foods.

If you're not hungry, don't eat anything. Drink some tea (spearmint or peppermint calm a stomach down and have no caffeine)

As for coffee, whew, I wouldn't go cold turkey. I had to wean myself off diet caffeine soda... and when I have a bad headache I drink it anyway. But earl grey is a caffeine drink. And as you must have figured out from this forum caffeine is evil. LOLOL It really can play havoc on your stomach though.

As for not losing weight when you're throwing everything up. Well, that can be a variety of reasons, your medication could be one. Another is if you throw everything up your body can go into starvation mode and store everything! In other words if you don't get enough calories your body isn't going to give anything up no matter how hard you try.

Cal/Mag is great! And B, I take a multi vitamin on top of it.

In LCing calories don't count. It's the carbs that do. I'll leave you to read the book. And if you have questions you can ask or look on the Schwarzbien group thread. They're a lively bunch of people.

- Bry
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 20:07

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 325/331/165
BF:
Progress: -4%
Smile

Hi there!

Please...please, whatever you do, don't switch to Paxil!
Weight gain?? Oh my gosh, YES!
Worse than the weight gain is the withdrawal that many users go through when attempting to cut back or stop 'using'.
If in doubt, go to Google and run a search on Paxil withdrawal.

I was just reading this thread because I have FM/CFS and, as my doctor says, "chronic pain syndrome". I'm not sure what that is aside from the symptoms of the other stuff but those were his words. He also recognizes the FM/CFS, and treats the pain and spasms and problems sleeping, etc. He is also working with me as I try to exercise at Curves for Women. I have missed many days yet paid for a year membership. He is working with me to hopefully get them to extend my paid membership. I HAVE felt better on the days whrere I am able to use the machines and the 30 minute workout is over before you know it!

As a female Veteran with FM/CFS/CPS I was soooo thrilled to learn that the VA Clinics do recognize and treat FM/CFS/CPS symptoms. They also supply the meds. with a small co-pay as well as the medical . I am blessed!

Since an auto accident in the '60's stirred the FM up even more (I've had it since I was a youngster) I have gained at a speed that frightens me and puzzles my doctor. I have gone from 162 up to 331. Being in a hospital bed for over 10 years, to the wheelchair and walker with a seat to rest , plus the canes to walk when possible, I welcome Curves machines and can REALLY notice the difference!

Well, I got off the topic of Paxil but I felt the VA information might help others if they have ANY Military History with an Honorable discharge.

I am planning on starting God's Diet or some other similar program after the first of the month. Maybe CAD or Adkins. Any suggestions?

Gods Blessings on all of you,
Myrtih
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 20:28
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks, I will keep in mind what you both have said-I'm grateful for any advice from more experienced people than myself at this stuff. It's very nice to talk to others and hear their expericences as I am feel very isolated as I'm sure some others are here.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 22:32
Registered Member

BF:

Oddly enough, God's Diet is one I've never heard of... Hmmm...

Atkins is vastly different than CAD. They're about the two opposing spectrums in LCing.

Atkins you lose fast (so I'm told, I've never been able to stay on it). CAD you get a reward meal. I like the reward meal, but I'm a snacker and you can't snack on CAD. I do a weird Schwarzbein and when I'm tired of that, I do CAD for a few days then go back.

Bry
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 23:58

BF:
Smile God's Diet

Hello!
God's Diet is a book by Dr. Dorothy Gault-McNemee, M.D. Copyright 1999. I had to get my copy from a used book site but it was quite reasonable and it got to me very fast. I think that some book store (???) told me they could order it for me but I ordered it online and got it quicker.

Basically, the diet is this: If God didn't make it, don't eat it."

It is said to help FM symptoms improve. I hope so!

No Flour, Sugar, Corn Syrup and Cornstarch, etc.

The simplest diet I've ever heard of.
It is for weight-loss yet you can eat baked potato with butter and sour cream; Ham with baked sweet potato; fruit, Steak, etc.
(these are all made by God!!) Mashed potatoes;etc.

You don't binge on anything but eat in moderation.

Interesting reading for 140 pages

Myrtih
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 00:28
Registered Member

BF:

I'll have to go check it out! Thanks for the info.

I about do that now. Haven't quite gotten sugary things and diet soda out of my system. (I still want to read it though) I've found that most of the stuff people eat in the other WOL's include things I can't really stand. They're big on pork rinds in Atkins... gack.

CAD comes to a point that really made sense to me though and helped me a lot. Carbs are addictive. Very addictive. But I ate the reward meal and man, I wanted more. I think that's why I have to do CAD only when I'm struggling then go back to a stricter LC.

So I could see doing God's Diet but limiting the intake of carbs. And truth be told, my pain and my sleep have been better since LCing. As long as I don't stress out. then it's a struggle.

Bry
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 00:35
Registered Member

BF:

Hey, I was just wondering, I know it kinda goes against the point but I buy those chocolate bars made in Germany that are made for diabetics. They are called Frankonia milk chocolate and come in 100 g. They only have fructose in them as far as sugar goes. The ingredients are: Fructose,whole milk powder, cocoa butter, unsweetened chocolate, soy lecithin, vanillin (artificial flavour) May contain traces of peanut and/or other nuts.
Now the reason I ask is, since it only contains fructose, could this be used as a treat without messing things up too badly? Is fructose a "good" sugar compared to dextrose, etc., or is it just as bad? **Awaits answer with hope in her heart**

I would be better with a program that you dont' have to follow an exact menu. I'd be better just knowing what I can and can't eat, I think. My main problem is chocolate. (As you can tell)

Last edited by eurydice : Mon, Sep-23-02 at 00:43.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 00:46
Registered Member

BF:

Fructose is a fruit sugar. It's still a sugar but (I'm assuming here) it's not treated with the chemical processes of regular sugar.

When it comes to raising your blood sugar or for diabetes, it still elevates it. (it's weird that's for diabetics)

Look on the package for the carbohydrates. If you're doing Schwarzbien you can have so much at a meal (or a snack). EAT A PROTEIN WITH IT THOUGH! Like cheese, or a bit of whatever meat you have for a leftover.

That's a big thing that will help you blood sugar not spike.

If I were you though, I would mix the chocolate bar with something else. Add some fruit, while that still has fruit sugar in it, it's natural with some fiber in it. Like strawberries. Or add some heavy whipping cream. That will be a staple in LCing. Or nuts, walnuts cancel out since the carbohydrates and fiber are the same.

If you really want chocolate try to find some with artificial sweetners in it. Or make a treat that uses unsweetened chocolate with a sweetner. I don't advocate them, but it's sorta unavoidable if you're LCing and want something sweet.

Did that help?

Bry
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 00:55

BF:
Angry Re:God's Diet, again

Hi, again!

Bry, you have written just about the very thing I planned to do. I have had great success with the CALP and only mess up by eating unwise in the 'reward meal'. Then............all bets are off!!

I thought Adkins but that is not something that I could 'live' with for the rest of my life. I could live with CAD and I'm sure that I could with God's Diet once I kicked the diet soda.
I lose weight slower but hey!! Ya can't have everything!! Can ya?? If we can, please clue me in!

I like a balance bar BUT, I soon start treating them like a treat or a candy bar so I've decided that they are 'out' Rats!!

Hope you can find a book seller that has the book. I didn't have any problem finding a used book and it is just like new.

Good Luck
Myrtih