Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 09:57

Plan: the Zone
Stats: 230/187/160 Female 5ft6 1/2in
BF:
Progress: 61%
Smile

I'm new to LCing - tho I did it naturally about 15-10years ago and felt great and was thin -- And want to say that my FMS and MS symptoms are much less eating more protein and fats and so few carbs. And my "mild Sjogren's Syndrome" has lightened up so drastically -- still need eyedrops but I do actually have tears, and saliva! Kind of wonderful. I'm struggling with the no sweets in the evenings, and raw leafy food messes things up, but I feel so much better and really makes me wonder how much of my illnesses is due to my (wrong) diet!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 12:32

Plan: Suzanne somers
Stats: 237/232/170 Female 5: 6 1/2
BF:47.6/47.8/
Progress: 7%
Default new

Hi Jan,
Welcome!
I am new to LCing as well. I did do no flour, no sugar and no caffeine for 15 years, years ago. I had a slimmer body and definitely a life. I believe for me no flour and no sugar are key to feeling better. I had my LCing down and managed 8 weeks just before Christmas. The sugarplums got to me and I am beginning again today. I did not manage to loose weight and I was getting discouraged. I should have kept on my plan and not listened to those who said I needed to eat more. I feel just too many well-intentioned suggestions.
I am managing today and feel just maybe I can still do this. The first few days are the hardest.
Oprah had a good show on yesterday. If you access her web site she has a lot of great suggestions on how to get better. One of her best secrets she found was not to eat three hours before bed. She claims that when you feel hungry at night it is your body using fat stores. So if you could replace the urge to eat at night with thoughts of food urges not acted on will decrease those love handles and thick thighs, it just might help us get over that night time march to the kitchen.
hugs Martha
  #18   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 10:23

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 197/150/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default A Serious Low Carber

I thought I would shed some light on Low Carb for the lady who seems to be having a problem with weight loss. First off, just cutting out a wee bit of this and that won't do it for you. You really NEED to pick up Atkins book and read it through. Only then will you fully comprehend what it is all about.

Induction is in place for a reason, to rid your bod of the garbage it has accumulated, and to break your addictions (sugar coffee etc)

You say "oh I just had a bite of this and that", but what you are really doing is backsliding. There is no halfway with Low Carb, you WILL continue to crave unless you rid yourself properly of those evil things (sugar, starches, high carb veggies and fruit, coffee, sodas, anything with aspartame, flours, breads)

Splenda is at least a derivitive of sugar and tastes VERY similar to sugar. Stevia is another natural sweetener with no carbs. I prefer Splenda to Stevia but everyone is different.

Do it properly...no cheats.....no reasoning with yourself that one piece of pie is ok! Its NOT! Low Carb is NOT a diet, its a way of life and should be accepted as such. You WILL be successful, as long as you quit fighting it.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 14:44

Plan: Suzanne somers
Stats: 237/232/170 Female 5: 6 1/2
BF:47.6/47.8/
Progress: 7%
Default hypothyroidism/FMS/CFS link

#20   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 18:50

Plan: my own
Stats: 175/122/122
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default hypoglycemia

Can you tell me how long it took before the hypoglycemia, started to get better, I have just been diagnosed with it, and been on the diet the better part of 7 weeks, but still have bad mornings, evenings seem to be better, yesterday was a great day in comparison to others. I dont know a soul with this disorder and could really use as much info as possible, I live in Calgary, and dont even know of a dr who treats it here... V
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 14:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/120/130 Female 5"3
BF: ?
Progress: 120%

hi laurie
I have mctd(mixed connective tissue disease: lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia) i have also been on ALOT of medications because I suffer from recurrent and prolonged migraines, chronic pain from the rheuma and sleeplessness from the fibro. I was on a amptrytiline(sp?) and it caused a major weight gain. My doctor said that many time SSRIs can slow down weight loss or even cause it , also he said that many times pain medication also can have a slowing effect. My doc told me that I needed to lose weight back in November, I went on the low fat, low cal diet and it did very little, I was convinced that I would not lose any, it has been only with Atkins that I have been able to lose! Plus it has helped with the firbro pain and sleeplessness. Do not despair... Good luck
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 19:58
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 277/267/160
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Ditto the thanks, Doreen

This is great information. I never realized fibromylagia was result of dysfunctional metabolism. Thanks for the info.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 10:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/135 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress:

I am so very happy this diet is working for you, I have been on the same for over a week now, problem is I feel more tired than ever and near tears all the time, don't know what I am doing wrong, starting to think I need the serotonin from carbs, any of you ladies have had this experience? I swear I WASN'T DEPRESSED BEFORE AND NOT NEARLY SO TIRED, JUST FATTER , ANY INPUT FROM YOU WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 11:50

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Yeah, unfortunately, I know how you feel.

Not much strong sun out this time of year either, which doesn't help with the moods.

It is why I can't do strict low carb anymore. It helps in every other way, but the moods. I get very tired, especially if I try to do something strenuous.

Some say it goes away if you give it time, but mine didn't. I remember feeling flat all the time. So, if you can't do a strict low carb, there are more modified versions to try.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Feb-07-05, 16:01

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

An update on the info Doreen started this thread with. Miryam Williamson has writen a second book called Blood Sugar Blues. I had her first book for years but I don't need it now. I find the second book very useful.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Feb-12-05, 07:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163.5/157.5/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I couldn't help but laugh when I read the first sentence in this post......"Many practitioners are recommending"

IMHO Finding practitioners that actually recognize FMS is a chore in itself. Then when you do find one have you ever heard the words "You just have to find what works for you and live with it"

Now, don't get me started on insurance plans and what your options are in finding an expert.

Here is what I know out of experience:
Eating the Atkins way of Life helps!