Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: What Supermarket do you buy your food???
Morrisons 3 8.57%
Asda 5 14.29%
Safeway 3 8.57%
Tesco 10 28.57%
Sainsburys 6 17.14%
Co-op 0 0%
Somerfield 1 2.86%
Marks & Spencer 1 2.86%
Other....please state in reply 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

#31   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 14:21

Plan: atkins, paleo, vlc
Stats: 186/186/154 Female 60inches
BF:o/m/g
Progress: 0%
Default waitrose

because there's a big one near us and we think their quality is best. Sometimes Sainsbury's because there's one near where I work, or if they send us 10% off vouchers.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 14:47

Plan: low-carb Ali style
Stats: 175/167.5/145 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:No idea
Progress: 25%
Default Tesco

Tesco for the weekly shop.
I also pick up nicer hams, veg etc. from M&S, don't think much of Tesco fruit and Veg.
We have a new Asda being built, due to open in December. I will definitely be going there.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 05:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177/131/126 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 90%

I shop in the Co-op midweek but do a 'main shop' in Tescos. I'm quite proud of myself because I persuaded my Co-op to change the brand of ricotta they stock to the one I like, and to make sure they stock it regularly (I take 4 pots of it a week as I make my hot 'breakfast porridge' with it - I think I am their main customer for this product!).

I go out of my way to Sainsbury's though to stock up on soya milk (because I like theirs better than other supermarkets') and also for 24g carb chocolate (I must try and persuade my local Tescos to stock this)

Jackie
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 13:27

Stats: 152/136/119 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hi Jackie

Please tell us more about this chocolate. Spent about an hour in the chocolate & biscuit aisle last night reading the info on all the 'can't touch food' and didn't spot that one.
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 13:31

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

ebbie,if you,re stuck for choccy,asda extra special 76%cocoa solids chocholate is only 28cgs per 100gs.its bloody gorgeous.or sainsbury sells 85%cocoa choccy and the cgs are about 20.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 05:18

Stats: 184/162/112 Female 5'5"
BF:31/26/19
Progress: 31%

Out of interest, with milk and sugar off the list, how does dark chocolate manage to slip through the net?

Lindt and Green & Black's both do really nice dark chocolate if that's any help. Green & Black's especially is in most supermarkets nowadays in the organic section. Hmm... I wonder if their Maya Gold is allowed...
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 05:23
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%

I do our main shop in Tesco (I exchange the clubcard points for Air Miles) but we buy most of our meat at Costco. I also get some things at M & S and in the deli at Fenwicks (a large department store in Newcastle).

I did fill out a customer comment card at Tesco a few days ago, asking when they ere going to start and stock more low carb/sugar free products, but I haven't had a reply as yet.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 05:35

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

Somerfield is the only one local to me, but when we've got a couple of hours free we go to a really cheap independant supermarket in the main town, I can get 2-4 times more for the same money, but they don't always stock the same things and they have this terrible habit of selling really nice wine off very cheap.....
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 07:11

BF:
Progress:

gypsy,the 85%cocoa solid chocolate is the lindt one.green and blacks chocolats is around 50 carb grams per 100gs of product.its too high for me.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 07:16

Ah right... thanks for that Christine. It'd be way too high for me too...

That said, at the moment I'm having trouble managing even a small tomato or some lettuce, so anything with carbs seems too high for me!

Still, given the amount of salad and vegetables I used to eat before going on the diet, at least I can safely assume I know what caused the larger part of the ME now!
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 07:44

BF:
Progress:

when i eat chocolate i only ever have 1 square,its my treat on a night.1 bar lasts me weeks.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 08:11
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

everybody has to have a treat or we would go mad
i am going through a faze opf craving really sweet thing (but I have come on!!) I am scared if I eat the chocolate I wont stop, but thats my problem we are all different and have ways of controlling what we eat!! So a little of what you fancy in moderation cant hurt!!
I like this forum as it is here for help and advise and support, because we all dont know all of the answers, but together we get there!!!
Ive been on this diet 45 days now and know so much more from day one but god I still have so much to learn!!
Christine I am gonna try thsat chocolate cause i hate dark chocolate so I might be able to control the sweet cravings with a square and think yuk I dont want any more for now. lol
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 08:19

Of course, you could always melt the chocolate down in a bain marie with some cream and egg yolk to make a kind of chocolate mousse type thing...

I used to adore dark chocolate, but it really gives me a headache now. And, like you, have a real problem with that "just one square" concept; somehow it never quite happens that way with me!

Still, at the moment absolutely any carbohydrate seems to be making me feel really ill, so I'm mercifully light on the cravings front for now! I actually felt sick whilst my fiance was dithering over which cake looked nicest in the shop the other day... Never thought that day would come!
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 08:30

BF:
Progress:

dark choccy isn,t as "morish" as milk.don,t think i could stop at 1 square of milk choccy.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 08:48
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

me neither and if I bought a cadburys carmel I wouls have to go back and buy the whole shop!!
Oh I am terrible wanting things I shouldnt bieng a low carber I will be getting told of!! (I wonder do you?) lol