Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-21, 22:17
Registered Member

Plan: lc
Stats: 190/190/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Fasting with low carb

Wondering if anyone has tried fasting and if so how did you do it and how well did it work for you? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-21, 23:51
Registered Member

Plan: LC + Noom
Stats: 200/190/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I'm wondering the same thing.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-21, 03:20
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Absolutely! There's hardly a LC-supportive clinician who thinks it's a good idea to eat all day. We have lots of threads discussing it. The bonus about combining it with carbohydrate control is the greatly reduced (or as I like to call it, 'normalized') hunger. I wouldn't last an hour if I was trying to do it with Special K and skim milk, but intermittent fasting started being discussed 'round these parts probably about ten years ago, mainly from Dr Eades' blog. It was easy for me and other 'seasoned' LCers to transition to a shorter period of eating during the day, and simply stretching out one's overnight fast.

If IF sounds too daunting, its partner concept (IMO) is simply not snacking. Rule of thumb for this: "If you're hungry, eat a meal. If you're snacky, that's cravings." -A forum member named Lisa. Short eating window doesn't really work for me right now, as my brain is stuck in biphasic sleep, but I've achieved a decent weight and very level blood glucose levels eating as I've been for the last decade or so. Basically, two meals a day about 10 hours apart.

Just an aside, putting on the moderator hat here: we only support short-term fasting here, as longer-term fasting should be done under medical supervision. More details here. It's worked for some of our members, but we ask that discussion thereof stay in the journals.

Last edited by Kristine : Thu, Mar-18-21 at 03:26.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-21, 03:32

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Everything Kristine wrote!

Note the Sticky right above your posts. This forum doesn’t support extended fasting, which is fine with me.

After I stumbled upon Dr Jason Fung in 2014, I did triy a few longer fasts but any results where not permanent. However, time-restricted eating, eating nourishing foods each day but within a shortened window, is wildly popular and commonly called Intermittent Fasting, I find a great adjunct to low carb plan.

Dr Westman has always advised "only eat when hungry" and most members of the local support group were eating a small "lunch" and main meal naturally, in a window of 4-6 hours. So I have done Time Restricted Eating/ IF since 2011, and currently am learning more about the fasting times good for my own body with Data Driven Fasting using blood glucose readings.

But for the very basic fasting, Gin Stephens has two books and a huge FB/podcast following or DietDoctor.com has good basic courses on IF. Dr Ted Naiman's P:E diet includes a shortened eating window. I recently lost some weight regained this past year, and easily maintain the loss eating two meals within a 6 hour window...what I did when I initially lost the weight on Low carb in 2011. Fasting longer is not better...Marty Kendall has some great new posts about that on his website.

MartyKendall https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=473285

Dr Ted Naiman: https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=483930

http://burnfatnotsugar.com/WhenToEat.html

Dr Eric Westman: https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=471186

Gin Stephens: https://www.ginstephens.com/

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Mar-18-21 at 07:02.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-21, 20:27

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

I agree with much of Kristine's post.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-21, 05:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I've found that two things help me skip a meal if I want: staying busy, and green tea with coconut oil. If either or both solves my hungry problem, I wasn't that hungry.

Which is another great benefit of low carb: I know when I'm hungry.

This is how I usually have an eating window of late breakfast and early afternoon dinner, two meals a day.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-21, 13:28

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I fast over 12 hours per day. From about 6PM to 7AM the next day.

When I started this, I lost another 10 pounds and got under my goal weight.

Bob
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-21, 22:03

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

I pretty much to daily intermittent fasting. Not 24 hours....but usually it averages 15 to 18 hours between a fairly early dinner and a later breakfast. For me, that's the best time to do it. By not eating for that period which is largely spent sleeping, you have a nice long period of time to burn fat!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-21, 09:39
~writes for Him~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 120/120/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
I pretty much to daily intermittent fasting. Not 24 hours....but usually it averages 15 to 18 hours between a fairly early dinner and a later breakfast. For me, that's the best time to do it. By not eating for that period which is largely spent sleeping, you have a nice long period of time to burn fat!

Same here. It helped me start losing again.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-21, 10:36

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM

#11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-21, 15:06

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

After a couple of years experimenting with fasting....after learning all about it from Dr. Jason Fung....I've concluded that long fasting has no particular benefit for ME. What I settled on was an eating "schedule" of two meals a day, and eating those two meals within a 6-8 hour window that ended from 5 to 6 pm each day. If I could eat breakfast later or eat dinner earlier, that was even better and I'd have a shorter eating window and longer fast. After dinner, I eat nothing until a somewhat late breakfast, which my current situation allows me to easily do. So I usually get about a 12-16 hour fast each and every day, and of course, that means you get 12-16 hours of uninterrupted fat burning (mostly as you sleep!).

On occasions where it could work out, I have very occasionally done a 24 hour fast, which is quite easy to do when you are in fat burning mode. For a variety of reasons, I'd end up skipping breakfast and just do dinner, which ended up around the 24 hour mark. I think that's an OK thing to do, possibly useful on an occasional basis to help counter some naughty eating you've just done, but I finally decided I didn't want to do a 24 hour fast very often. BTW, I once did 36 hours just to see if I could do it. It was possible, but the last 8 hours or so were the most difficult and ultimately, I didn't care to repeat it. So I just keep intermittent fasting using the dinner to breakfast time period as my usual fasting method.

Ultimately, I do believe we should view fasting as a "good" thing. If you are eating a lot of food and too often, your body spends its time digesting food and not burning stored fat. I've observed for myself that fasting doesn't necessarily result in a big weight drop, BUT...intermittent fasting is part of what keeps weight loss humming along rather than stalling so much.

Last edited by CMCM : Tue, Mar-23-21 at 15:16.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-21, 23:43
Registered Member

Plan: LC + Noom
Stats: 200/190/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I must be in ketosis now after 2 weeks of LCing b/c my appetite is gone and two meals/day are enough. And my knee pain has already decreased dramatically & that sluggish feeling has disappeared. Fasting during the night for at least a 12 hr stretch seems very doable.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-21, 05:15

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

That sounds great, eggsnsteak! I've found that the more I stick to what works for me, the more sensitive my appetite becomes, and yet at the same time, it's easier to not listen. In case it's not really hunger.

If I'm hungry enough to eat a whole meal, all healthy choices for my body, I'm motivated enough to do that. If it's not, I'm thirsty, or I need some tea with collagen and coconut oil -- sometimes, that's the meal my body is asking for.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-21, 08:41

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

^^^^ What everybody else said. I find myself eating mostly one meal which equates to at least a 20-hour fast. Once in a while I eat more often and end up with a 14-hour fast but usually, at a minimum, it is 16-hour fasts for me. This Friday, for example, I know I'll be eating later because I'm eating dinner out (it's prime rib night!) so my fasting time will shift.

I have had a couple of longer-term fasts but that was only because I never got hungry and just forgot about eating. I enjoy food and cooking so I like to eat once per day so I can cook!

Yes, it sounds like you are on the right path Eggsnsteak - decreased hunger is a wonderful benefit of this way of eating.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Apr-04-21, 13:34

Plan: LC, IF,no sugar
Stats: 294.5/278.3/180 Female 5'9" (top weight was 309)
BF:yes/I/do
Progress: 14%

Yep...IF every day til 1 PM