Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-21, 09:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 328/266.8/230 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Exercise stalled my weight loss, I think..

My weight loss has slowed so much lately and I am doing everything right diet-wise. The only variable is that I started exercising about a month ago. At my heaviest I was 328 lbs in April 2020. I started getting serious about weight loss in late September and dropped from 312 lbs to 275 in a little over 3 months. I have now slowed to the point where I am losing only about 1 lb a week for the past few weeks. Does exercise slow you that much? I would have thought that it would have accelerated my weight loss. I think the answer is that I am converting fat to muscle but it's pretty disappointing to see the massive weight loss slow down while I am maintaining such a strict low carb diet, trying to stay under 25-30 carbs per day.

I am staying in ketosis according to 2 different urine strips. I've been riding a recumbent bike 6 miles, lifting 10-15 lb dumbbells and doing 60 sit-ups, every other day. Any advice to help me speed up my weight loss would be appreciated. I am looking to get to 220 by Summer. Thank you
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-21, 09:36

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Congratulations on your progress so far!

While exercise improves fitness and helps keep the pounds off, it doesn’t really contribute to weight loss. However, it is possible to gain muscle at the same time as you lose fat. This is particularly common if you recently started exercising. Also, while you've already lost a lot of weight, weight loss will often slow down as you move towards your goal weight.

It is a good idea to use something other than the scale to gauge your progress. For example, measure your waist circumference and body fat percentage once per month. Also, how well your clothes fit and how you look in the mirror can be very telling.

In the meantime, keep on doing what you're doing, you're doing a great job!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-21, 10:09

Plan: SEC
Stats: 198/183/150 Female 168 (5.512 ft)
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec35
My weight loss has slowed so much lately and I am doing everything right diet-wise. The only variable is that I started exercising about a month ago. At my heaviest I was 328 lbs in April 2020. I started getting serious about weight loss in late September and dropped from 312 lbs to 275 in a little over 3 months. I have now slowed to the point where I am losing only about 1 lb a week for the past few weeks. Does exercise slow you that much? I would have thought that it would have accelerated my weight loss. I think the answer is that I am converting fat to muscle but it's pretty disappointing to see the massive weight loss slow down while I am maintaining such a strict low carb diet, trying to stay under 25-30 carbs per day.

I am staying in ketosis according to 2 different urine strips. I've been riding a recumbent bike 6 miles, lifting 10-15 lb dumbbells and doing 60 sit-ups, every other day. Any advice to help me speed up my weight loss would be appreciated. I am looking to get to 220 by Summer. Thank you

Hey!
Have you tried to average your weight? Our weight differs so much from day to day. This way you write down your daily weight or what the measure tejp says every day for 7 days - then you divide the total with 7 = your weekly average.

Are you eating the same amount of meals?

Congrats on the muscles and progress. Agree with Demi, check out your clothes as well.

Bless!

Last edited by Happy girl : Sat, Jan-23-21 at 10:17.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-21, 10:17

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Losing 1-2 pounds per week is average weight loss, so I don't think exercise has slowed it down.
You mention still "being in ketosis" after 3 months, which is not an indication of burning your body fat. It could just as well reflect the fat you are eating. Although a low carb diet makes it easier to control your food intake, you still have to be in a calorie deficit. Eat the natural fats that come with meat, but don't drink buttered coffee or any of the new internet keto ideas. If you are following Induction phase for Atkins it has some strict limits on fat intake. Calories still matter, though you do not have to count them. Dr. Westman on keto myths: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ-WZ2TYx58 Have you been able to reduce your eating window? not snacking, eating two satisfying meals within 6-8 hours. Not to "power through hunger" but most people on a LC plan find they are less hungry naturally.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jan-23-21 at 10:22.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-21, 10:38

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Another idea is to find a photo of yourself when you were at your highest. Then, each month, take a new picture of yourself. Sometimes what you don't see in the mirror is strikingly obvious in pictures. If you still have the same clothes as when you started, it's fun to take progress pictures in them on a regular basis.

Also, you're losing at an amazing weight, even if you don't believe it. Sometimes the body has to slow down, assess, and be in stasis for a while.
You've averaged 12 pounds per month so far. That's freakin' AMAZING!

One last thing is that a lot of us found that after losing a good chunk of weight quickly (as you did), things will slow down for a couple months. When I originally did Protein Power many years ago, I lost pounds quickly for maybe 3 or 4 months, and then BAM! I hit a wall and couldn't lose any more. But, I stuck with it and in the next couple months I dropped a pants size even with no additional weight loss.

Don't start questioning things yet. You're doing GREAT!!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-21, 10:45

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Mike - you've received excellent replies to your questions. I'll only add that what your are really doing is laying down a foundation for a healthier lifestyle, and believe me, you are changing your lifestyle to one that will guarantee good health for the long term.

Your initial weight loss was well done, and a continuing weight loss of 1 pound a week is pretty consistent with what many have experienced.

Demi's point about not being scale focused is excellent, because weight is relative and while you're exercising, weight moves around (or more accurately, fat is reduced, muscle grows with exercise and a good protein supply) to healthier tissue like muscle. I use my clothes and how they fit as the main indicator. I rarely jump on a scale.

Happy girl's method of weight averaging is a great idea, as you do this over a period of time, not daily, which never makes sense.

Janet's point about keto and measuring whether you're in "ketosis" is really important, as the information out there about "going keto" is often wrong and misguided. Matter of fact, recent research shows that measuring ketones over a period of time shows that they are higher initially, then after several months, they go down significantly. This is normal and theories abound as to why this occurs, but the point is that keeping carbs low, eating only the fat that comes with healthy whole foods, and emphasizing healthy protein is the best way to lose body fat. The myth about eating too much protein, thereby causing increased glucose production (gluconeogenesis) and "kicking you out of ketosis," is just that, a myth. Matter of fact, when one is following low carb, increasing protein does not interfere with the ability to burn fat, and it results in better health.

And Bawdy's point about weight peeling off in stages is another dynamic many of us experience as long as we stay the course.

I always viewed adopting low carb as a journey of self discovery. I've learned what works best for me, learn from many on this forum and other valid sources, and make the necessary course corrections to achieve better health. The most important thing is to enjoy the journey. There is no such thing as a magic trick to rapidly lose weight, and some of these misinformed ideas about consuming more fat to lose fat have confused many. Losing 1 pound per week means that in 10 weeks, you're likely to . . . well . . . you can do the math. Calculate where you may be by summer, and that's a reasonable goal. Good luck, all the best.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Sat, Jan-23-21 at 10:59.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-21, 12:21

BF:

Thanks for all the great replies and suggestion. I just ordered a body fat scale so I can better see progress. I also ordered another scale to use to make sure my scale is accurate. I am pretty much intermittent fasting as well, I usually condense all of my meals within 8 hours or less. I do have occasional snacks, cheese or nuts or low carb shakes or protein bars. Many days I go all day on just a Atkins shake and 2 eggs or a protein bar. I actually tell my wife many evenings before supper that I have run all day on like 400 calories.

My hunger is pretty much non-existent. I'll try the weight averaging approach, I like that idea. An interesting thing about the keto test strips with me is that for the longest time I was barely registering on the strips. A lot of what I have learned says that it doesn't really matter how dark you are on the scale as long as you are showing in ketosis. The last few weeks I have been darker than normal.

I probably am just shifting and converting fat to muscle, but it seems a little discouraging to lose so fast then slow down as much as I have. I am down 3 pant sizes and went from a 3 xl T-shirt which I refused to wear out in public to a 2xl and some xl's that I am not embarrassed to be seen in. I also bought a leather jacket 2 sizes smaller than I normally wear for rides on my Harley - I'm thinking it's a good motivator.

I know I feel and look a whole lot better and plan to continue. I am having a total knee replacement on Feb 17th, I hope the hospital stay and their food doesn't set me back! I am thinking riding my recumbent bike 6 miles daily will have my legs in good condition going into the surgery thus helping me to recover quicker. I'll keep referring back to this thread to help with motivation, I appreciate all the support!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-21, 12:42

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

You may want to cut out those shakes and protein bars and eat real food.

The following video and article may also be useful:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/the-top-...-to-lose-weight

https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight/fast
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-21, 03:49

Plan: SEC
Stats: 198/183/150 Female 168 (5.512 ft)
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec35
I am having a total knee replacement on Feb 17th, I hope the hospital stay and their food doesn't set me back! I'll keep referring back to this thread to help with motivation, I appreciate all the support!

Bring your own food. Plan ahead.

Have a great day!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-21, 07:32

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi Mike, good work. I'm another larger fellow (started in the 340's) I did have plenty of stalls, plateaus and furious drops along the way (about 18 months) So I can relate.

It's unlikely that you're converting fat into muscle, at least that's the way I understand it, you lose fat and build muscle at the same time (if that's your definition of "converting" then I agree!)

Question for you, do you have a glucose meter? I'm finding a new way of thinking about energy storage and metabolic pathways from stuff by Marty Kendall. If you don't have one, pick one up just for the fun of it and do one thing.

Measure you waking blood glucose level.

Mine has always been on the "high" side in the mornings and I never thought much about it and chalked it up to something called "Dawn Phenomenon" I'm starting to believe with some practice and insight that this might really be a signal of energy abundance in my system. Currently I'm investigating Marty's "Data Driven Fasting" idea - It's very interesting and I'm trying to get in touch with my hunger cues via the data of blood glucose readings on waking and pre-meals.

Anyway, just a thought. And another bit of data, my AVERAGE over the 18 months of first losing was between 1-2 lbs - 1.6 if I recall. The drops can in fits and spurts like mentioned above by others. Loss was very fast at the begining and tapered at the end, but at the end I was also pushing hard on IF fasting - and might have been doing my body a disservice by focusing on high fat refeeds rather than my new approach of focusing on nutrient density.

When you have a lot of fat to lose, You don't necessarily need to eat more of it. You can, and it's probably not that harmful (unless you mix it with hyperpalatable or hyperprocessed carby foods) but you want to try to burn the fat you store rather than the fat you eat for quicker weight loss.

Whew, that was a mouthful of opinion right there. Good work and keep going!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-21, 07:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
You may want to cut out those shakes and protein bars and eat real food.

The following video and article may also be useful:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/the-top-...-to-lose-weight

https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight/fast

I only do an occasional shake or protein bar, they get my by when I am traveling so I don't pull over and buy something less healthy. Thanks for the links..
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-21, 07:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Hi Mike, good work. I'm another larger fellow (started in the 340's) I did have plenty of stalls, plateaus and furious drops along the way (about 18 months) So I can relate.

It's unlikely that you're converting fat into muscle, at least that's the way I understand it, you lose fat and build muscle at the same time (if that's your definition of "converting" then I agree!)

Question for you, do you have a glucose meter? I'm finding a new way of thinking about energy storage and metabolic pathways from stuff by Marty Kendall. If you don't have one, pick one up just for the fun of it and do one thing.

Measure you waking blood glucose level.

Mine has always been on the "high" side in the mornings and I never thought much about it and chalked it up to something called "Dawn Phenomenon" I'm starting to believe with some practice and insight that this might really be a signal of energy abundance in my system. Currently I'm investigating Marty's "Data Driven Fasting" idea - It's very interesting and I'm trying to get in touch with my hunger cues via the data of blood glucose readings on waking and pre-meals.

Anyway, just a thought. And another bit of data, my AVERAGE over the 18 months of first losing was between 1-2 lbs - 1.6 if I recall. The drops can in fits and spurts like mentioned above by others. Loss was very fast at the begining and tapered at the end, but at the end I was also pushing hard on IF fasting - and might have been doing my body a disservice by focusing on high fat refeeds rather than my new approach of focusing on nutrient density.

When you have a lot of fat to lose, You don't necessarily need to eat more of it. You can, and it's probably not that harmful (unless you mix it with hyperpalatable or hyperprocessed carby foods) but you want to try to burn the fat you store rather than the fat you eat for quicker weight loss.

Whew, that was a mouthful of opinion right there. Good work and keep going!

Thanks for the advice. My thinking was that I was converting my body from fat to more muscle, although I didn't convey that message well.

I am down 3.8 lbs in 6 days. I am exercising every other day, usually at night while my wife and I are watching tv I get up and go hop on the recumbent bike and ride 7 miles. I then work out for about 15 minutes lifting dumbbells and then proceed to do 100 sit-ups. I am doing this routing every other day.

I bought a digital scale that's helping me track my weight. I thought my scale was off when it slowed down, bought the new one and the dang thing showed I weighed 1 pound more than the one I had!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-21, 08:16

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Excellent report and yep, for sure you can be gaining lean and losing fat. My February is going to include starting on some body weight exercises - Keep Rolling Mike!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-01-21, 10:50
Registered Member

Stats: 339.8/272.6/200 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Mike - I just stumbled across this thread. You are doing great, more than 60% to your goal. I am also using a recumbent bike for cardio. I like that it is much easier on the knees and back than the treadmill. I am also starting to work on resistance training like you and Thud.

Thud - thanks for visiting my journal. Much appreciated
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Feb-27-21, 10:00

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Mike, Rob has stated in detail, what I was going to say. However, my phrasing would make a slightly different point. I was going to suggest that this shift is good training for maintenance.
I'm 60 years old. When I was 39, I was pointed to Protein Power by my slender sil. She had heard from somewhere about the science of avoiding sugar. I jumped on it and lost 60-70 lbs between May and November. However, I had developed diet fatigue, only mitigated by the thrill of seeing the scale go down. I was addicted to the reward of losing for the sake of it. I was not headed for an eating disorder because I was still all about taste and finding what I could eat without gaining. But, once I h it goal, it got boring to see the same number on the scale all the time and still have to constantly think about what I ate.
My point is, you're exercising, which is good, and will undo the skin-stretch damage, which can be discouraging after all the effort to lose. You're just at a point where maybe the scale is not your friend and you can start to look for alternative, real-life motivation and encouragement.
And, congratulations. You're making it work.