Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 09:54

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%
Default A good blog I found

I stumbled across a blog titled "PaleOMG." SUPER recipes! An interesting young woman writes the blog. I like her sense of humour. Check it out!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 15:13

Plan: my own
Stats: 350/272/195 Male 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

#3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-12, 07:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

A lot of her recipes are sweet, so I worked out the counts for her brownie recipe (serves 3-6). If you make 3 servings, the counts are:

604 calories and 88g carbs per serving.

For 6 servings, they're 302 calories and 44g carbohydrate each.

She is very slim... so I checked out the rest of her blog.. and wasn't surprised to see a very low carb regime described in her page on what she actually eats on an average day:

http://paleomg.com/daily-food-affair/

In a reply to one of the posts further down the page, after people were pointing out that she hardly eats any veggies, she says:

"I just gain weight very easily, including with veggies, so I don’t consume a ton of carbs"

This particular blog isn't really a low-carb one, in my opinion, and she isn't providing a proper nutritional count for the recipes. They they look pretty fattening to me, because they combine substantial amounts of sugars with high fat.

Here's an alternative brownie recipe from Dr. Davis's blog:

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/...alnut-brownies/

I worked out the counts to compare.. For the same number of calories, Dr. Davis's brownies work out at 13g carbs, instead of 40g carbs. His are higher fat, while hers combine higher sugar with moderate fat.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Fri, Jun-22-12 at 09:01.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-12, 11:26

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

You make a good point Kirsteen. The young woman who writes the blog is a serious athlete, and can afford to eat more carbs than most of us. She is paleo (except for her unfortunate chocolate addiction) but not low carb. Thanks for pointing that out!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-12, 14:09

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsteen
Here's an alternative brownie recipe from Dr. Davis's blog:

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/...alnut-brownies/

I worked out the counts to compare.. For the same number of calories, Dr. Davis's brownies work out at 13g carbs, instead of 40g carbs. His are higher fat, while hers combine higher sugar with moderate fat.

Thanks for that, Kirsteen. Those look really good. Even at 13 gm carbs, they're barely low carb but still doable.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-12, 05:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

I'll probably try to cook Dr. Davis's brownies just to see what they're like - my boyfriend is a chocoholic, and it would be good to find a healthy treat to take to my parents occasionally. I am not sure if I personally could indulge, even though I think they look wonderful. I am sensitive/addicted to caffeine and those must have a ton of it. I find it easier to diet without the caffeine monster dragging me down the seductive chocolate/coffee slope. I worked out the carb count against the calories to make a direct comparison, but I don't know how many servings the recipe would make.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-12, 08:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Paleo isn't necessarily low carb, although it can be. Something to keep in mind when browsing paleo sites.

I think some paleo folks think honey isn't as bad for you as a non-caloric sweetener. I would disagree. Maybe if your metabolism is healthy, it isn't so bad to have on occasion, but I doubt mankind had as much access to honey as we have. And it really is HFBP -- high fructose bee poop.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-12, 10:31
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I think some paleo folks think honey isn't as bad for you as a non-caloric sweetener. I would disagree. Maybe if your metabolism is healthy, it isn't so bad to have on occasion, but I doubt mankind had as much access to honey as we have. And it really is HFBP -- high fructose bee poop.
You're totally correct, Nancy, and it REALLY bothers me to see/hear/read "experts" railing against added sugar, then in the next sentence recommend using honey as a sweetner
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-12, 08:47

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

In the interest of making honey a bit more appetizing...it is technically closer to being bee vomit, not bee poop...