20 fashion tips for ladies losing weight...
I thought about this as I was commuting home. I work in part of the fashion industry and must dress accordingly. A lot of women at my office are on diets and they all must look stunning every day. My boss is a well-known icon of beauty advice and I'd thought I'd share some tips so that your wardrobe doesn't cost you an arm and a leg while you lose.
1. Elastic waist bands. Oh, I know, ew. But you can get a lot more mileage from a pair of well made trousers or skirts if you have a scrunchable waist.
--TIP: have waist band gap? you know, when the hips fit but the waist is too big? Take a piece of elastic that is about the height of your waist band (watch that you use black with black, etc) Stitch one side first then the other... stretch to fit your new sized back and stitch into place... not too gathered but it will help you get through a few sizes.
2. wrap skirts, shirts, and dresses. Look for clothing that can be cinched in as you go.
3. knits. Buying fitted blouses seems like such fun as you lose, but investing in some knit shirts that will shrink with you will keep you fashion forward and out of the poor house inthe long run.
4. colour. Use bright colours in your wardrobe that you might never have dared before. A great scarf, piece of fashion jewellery, or wonderful cami in a jewel tone can light up your face (sometimes dieters look a bit tired or drawn).
5. buy pretty shoes. Your feet might lose some size (really), but invariably your shoes will fit as you lose. Spending some money on some awesome shoes can make many outfits look amazing.
6. Try a belt. if you're thinking, What? with my waist? go big and wear a blazer or over shirt and leave it open. Get used to seeing a new waist.
7. smooth out the cellulite and other lumps and bumps. Spanx, girdles, and control top stockings are your friends! (oh, and wear beige under white please!)
8. Get your bra fitted. It takes a moment to get the right bra. Lots of department stores offer this service free and it will make the girls look great. Nothing says dumpy like a deflated bosom.
9. Dark colours where you want to hide stuff. Ok, so you're sporting that new emerald green blouse but you've lost less on your booty. Deck out the bottom (or maybe the top if you lose butt first) in a dark colour. The bright colour moves towards the eye, the dark recedes.
10. Cut your hair. Lanky hair, and bushiness is something most of us 'hid' behind. Let it go. Get a face framing, attractive and modern hair style.
11. Makeup. you might need to go to see what wonderful ways a makeup artist can highlight those cheekbones you can see now! Want to lose 10 years off your look? Smooth out your skin with makeup. (Mac cosmetics offers this free and they do a good job)
12. OH you old sew and sew... if you are handy with a needle and thread, start making darts, tucks, and take up those too-long pants before you look like you're always in pajamas.
13. remodel. Oh, you hate to buy new, do you? Well check out the 2nd hand clothing, but be very careful you don't end up looking like you should have driven up in a Delorean (note: shoulder pads are a no no). Just because the jeans at Goodwill only cost 2.50, it's not an excuse for wearing 'mom' jeans.
14. The staples. One pair black pants. One white, crisp blouse. all the rest can work around it.
16. 'Accessorize the positive'. Again, lovely scarves, jewellery, shoes, and some awesome cool purses (yay, Payless) can make you look hot.
17. Read fashion magazines. You have a new body to dress. You might need new rules!
18. Ignore fads. You love the metallic look this season? fine, buy a pair of ballet shoes in gold, or a neat bag. Just because your thighs are looking amazing doesn't mean they should be packed into gold pants.
19. Know how old you are! Yes, you can now fit into the juniors section, but are you over 30? Get back to the right department, missy! nothing ages a woman more than trying to look younger than she is with fashion faux pas.
20. Mani/pedis... if you can't afford it do it yourself, but along with lovely shoes, grooming your nails really goes a long way to making yourself look polished all over!
Okay now strut your new stylin' butts! (be the diva, be the diva)