Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 20:29
Registered Member

Plan: Diabetic
Stats: 220/-/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs down A1C went up to 6.6

I got back from vaction and found out A1c went up from 6.2 to 6.6. Arg!! I am eating much better. I am making healthier fresher LC foods to eat. Improving my diet everyday and I have been steadly increasing exersize( up to at least 30 min daily) but still A1C went up from before and I didn't know I was diabetic then so was doing nothing. Why would it be higher now that I know am diabetic and I am not eating all that junk food and microwave stuff that had snecked into my diet? I can think of two possibles one that A1C is an average and my average is higher because I am not experincing extreme lows anymore or I made changes slowly and caustsly and they haven't had time to have full effect yet. Any help or suggestion i want A1c to be 5.5 or lower. I am worried that when school starts back up will have trouble keeping up with new diet and exersize plan.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 21:27
Registered Member

Plan: LC
Stats: 225/171/165 Male 70.25 inches
BF:?
Progress: 90%

If you've been checking your glucose prior and after meals, you should have known or guess your A1C. But first, what is your typical menu for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. You're doing well in increasing your exercise. Now, you can increase that to about 1 hour a day. Please use your meter as your pilot to guide you with tour meal planning. Take care.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 09:16
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

That's just it. I use my meter 2-6x a day and it reads 90 to 109 before meals and 100- 120 after most meals occasionally have read 130 or 140 and have 4 opps of 220 while figuring out what I can't eat. I think my blood sugar problem is happening at night. Have tested at at 2 and 3am read between 60-80 but when I wake up in morning 100-120. have been eat snack of cheese slice or soy beand seems to help escpeccially if I have snack at 2 or 3 in morning but I don't always wake up at night and I don't always rember to eat snack. I'm starting to think that I need to go on meds. I'm having trouble fitting everything into scheduel now don't know how I would find time to exersize for hour every day. Would 30min MWF and 60min on T Th Sat Sun work?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 10:12
Registered Member

Plan: LC
Stats: 225/171/165 Male 70.25 inches
BF:?
Progress: 90%

>Would 30min MWF and 60min on T Th Sat Sun work?

Wonderful. Anytime spent on exercise will do you good for your glucose. I have the same suspicion as you do about your blood sugar at night. But please, do not worry too much about it. remember, worry cause stress and your body doesn't need it right now. I would leave the medications thing to your doctor to suggest. I've been taking 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar prior to each meal and I've been using 1 teaspoon of cinamon with my coffee (instead of sugar/condensed milk). You can google about these 2 items and their benefit to glucose level. I, myself, can not say much about them because I've lowered my glucose prior to taking them. My diet consists mostly vegetables and soy products (tofu, BOCA burger, vegetarian sausage). I'm not vegetarian, but this low carb thing has pushed me toward that . Please take care yourself, I know you'll be able to gain control of this disease. I feel like you have a strong will power.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-20-05, 10:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/154/135 Female 5.2"
BF:sc/ar/ey
Progress: 72%

Hi CAdiabetic. I was diagnosed type 2 in end of April myself. Are you type 2? What was your fasting glucose when diagnosed and your A1C?
Mine was 199 fasting and A1C was 6.5.
I had mine done Monday after 3 months it is 107 fasting and A1C was 5.5 I was VERY happy, so was doc. Are you on any meds?
Maybe diet menu would help us see.
I am doing atkins but keeping cals about 1300 a day have gone from 201 to 175 in weight and execercise every other day regirously at gym.SO far no meds for me. I am fulltime student and wondering how it's gonna be in fall too. We'll have to make the time. Also I am keeping carbs around 35.
Any more info for us maybe we can look at it for you. Diabeties SUCKS and is tricky at best. I wish you the best.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-05, 18:28
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I'm a new diagnosed T2 just this March. My husband is T1 for 38+ years. I have been cooking and measuring his food since we have been married 16+ years so diabetes control is not new to me. I was diagnosed 6.2 this is my first 3 month checkup after being diagnosed. I am just diasappoted it didn't go down right away. I know it ussally takes 6-12 months to bring sugars down to 5.5 range and I know it is common for A1c to go up slightly on first appointment while body ajjust to changes. Somehow I just thought it would already be lower. Unrelalistic! I know A1C are an avearge over 3 months and I am no longer expericing dangerous lows that bring my average blood sugar down. I know I have a mild dawn phenomen that brings sugars up in morning to 120. So 6.6 is probaly not a bad reading right now I am just starting out. I was just unrealastic to think all my years of experince helping my husband fight this disease would make it easier for me in my fight. Diabetes just stinks!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 14:08

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 145/131/125 Female 53 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Follow Bernstein book

Type II -- Back in July 2003 my a1c was 7.2 and my MDity said it was about time to go on insulin. I bought the Bernstein book and followed it. Six weeks later my a1c was 6.0 and the MD was doubtful. Two years later my a1c is in the 5.2 to 5.4 range. My overall health is much better.

ADA doctrine says that a diet that is mostly protein and fat will drive your chloresterol wild -- well, the good went up and the bad went down, just like Bernstein said it would.

You have to learn to ignore the ADA and the dieticians that follow the ADA doctrines.