Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-19, 04:51

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Stephan Guyenet is still keto-bashing

I'll be honest, I never liked the guy. He's into his "hyper-palatability" theory, where people eat too much because it just tastes so darn good. Riiiiiiight. When I once binged on canned pineapple and Cool Whip because it was all I could get a hold of, it was the delightful taste of chemical and can.

This popped in my news feed, even though it's an older article. But it meant people had looked for it, and made it popular again.

Quote:
The Keto Diet, Explained
Feb 21, 2018 - “What's been demonstrated is that [the ketogenic diet] controls blood glucose levels,” explained Guyenet. “That's a good thing. But to show true remission or reversal, you have to show a person can go back to being able to eat carbs without having diabetes again.” And that has never been proven with the ketogenic diet.

But to show true remission or reversal, you have to show a person can go back to being able to eat carbs without having diabetes again

What, he doesn't know the difference between remission and reversal? I tend to say "keto eating put my autoimmune condition into remission" because yeah, if I went back to the SAD, it would happen again.

I'm happy with it in remission. So now low carb has to give us the pancreas we had at birth? Is that what LIPITOR does for hearts?

My only side effect from keto eating is having to buy new clothes. And if I stop, they won't fit any more.

Oh, this guy always, always, has a big piece missing from the puzzle.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-19, 05:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I've saved so much time and memory space by not reading anything the Guyenet writes.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-19, 08:58

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

rofl

of course nobody can go back to carbs and not trigger diabetes... .sigh.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-19, 09:05

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

If you have the sort of type II, diet-related diabetes he's talking about--prove, by his definition, that you weren't born with it. Anyways--can't go back to eating carbs without developing it again? He's making some assumptions here. Who says you can't?

If you just have good blood sugar eating keto, and haven't lost an appreciable amount of weight--well that's one sort of remission, not reversal. If you have results more like the Newcastle studies, with reversal of liver and pancreatic fat--those people certainly did eat carbs, even while reversing their diabetes. And can eat carbs at the end of the study without diabetic blood sugars. They can't go back to the diet that over time gave them diabetes. I think a ketogenic diet at that point would likely make it easier for a lot of them to not re-develop diabetes. There might be higher carb approaches that would do the same, at least for some people--but ultimately they would have to be as strict, in their own way, as a ketogenic diet or else the heavy societal/environmental pressure that got them in trouble in the first place is likely to get them back into trouble. Cans of cool whip and pineapple everywhere you look... which actually still sounds pretty yummy to me, though I wouldn't eat them.

If you're a diabetic with good blood sugar numbers because you eat ketogenically, that's good. If you've lost 50 pounds on a ketogenic diet and reversed fatty liver and pancreas and can now tolerate carby meals without elevated blood sugar, that's good too. If you can't eat a carby diet on a regular basis and maintain this--that's a criticism of carby diets, if anything. Or maybe that's just my bias. It's not even, like I said, maybe there are higher carb approaches that would work as well for the individual. Maybe getting a little greedy, like wanting to win the lottery twice.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-19, 09:12

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I have no doubt that if I went back to eating a heart-healthy, whole-wheat, high-carb diet again that I would be dead, or close to it, within 10 years. If I started eating arsenic then I would have the same problem. Neither one is healthy for me.

Last edited by Dodger : Fri, Nov-22-19 at 10:04.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-19, 09:51

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Arsenic might be faster... certainly less painful.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-19, 10:14

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

That's been my approach with this guy, as well, ignore at all costs. There are much better ways to spend my time than to listen to the meanderings of one who claims to know the perfect human diet. I already know his recommendations won't work for me.