Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 20:21

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Default Gym vs. home?

Ok. So here's the big question: Do you prefer working out at the gym or buying the minimum equipment and working out at home (read: dumbbells, adjustable bench, jogging)

I can think of a few pros and cons for each. I can't decide if I should join a gym or buy weights for home. From your experience, have you found it better to invest in your own minimal equipment (I say minimal because that's all I can get), or join a gym?

Gym:
has all the equipment
don't have room at home or $$$ for lots of equipment
not get bored as easily, lots of choices for exercises and esp. cardio (right now, all I can do is jog outside and it's getting too cold for that)
experts to show me if I'm doing it right

Home:
I like to be alone when I work out
personal trainers
essential morning time saved not driving
shower, clothes, makeup etc. there (I have to go to work right after I work out)
don't have to fight others or wait to use equipment
open all the time
cheaper than gym
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 20:53
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

There are good and bad points to both.

Gym:
Variety of machines so you can change out exercises
Cheaper then buying a complete weight set, and doesn't take up the room

You have to drag yourself there
Seeing all the tiny girls with 2% BF :P
Travel time needed to and from

Home:
Can work out when you want 24 hrs
Don't have to get extra motivation to make it to gym
No Child care needed

May not work as hard as at gym (like with cardio)
Weights take up alot of room, and may not have as complete a set as gym
Higher chance of interuption
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 21:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

I would add this:

higher chance of not doing it at home.
also once you begin at the gym, you can compare yourself to all the people there not making any progress or change and be MOTIVATED to keep on thru the tough times!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 22:03
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi,

I joined a gym with my son a few years ago, I went for the first month, then nothing, my son has been going ever since, faithfully. I love you son He looks great and is eating great, not bad for a 19 year old...

As for me, after I spent a fortune to join the gym with all their fees, I bought a used treadmill out of the paper for $50. This way I can get on it, no makeup, with clothes that don't match, sweat, listen to my music, not smell the gym and do it in a quicker amount of time than putting on my face, clothes, driving over there just to come home and take another shower, new makeup, etc. I can sing on my treadmill, turn up my sterero, listen to what I want as for music, etc.

For the son, its a great place to share and visit and meet people, for me..... I want my privacy, then a hot shower.....
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 08:48
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%

I started out at home and ended up with a comprimise. I found that using the minimal equipment I had at home (bench, dumbbells, 15 lb bar) just wasn't enough. I also didn't want to add things like a squat rack at home because of the expense and I didn't have space for it.

So I started going to a gym again and have been loving it. There is agym in the basement of the building I work in, so I go right after work and its done before I know it.

On cardio days I don't go to the gym. I either run, or on those cold wet rainy mornings I use a stationary bike I bought at a garage sale.

My wife did pretty much the same thing. She was intimidated to go to a gym at first, so she started at home and then after a few months she ended up joining a women's only gym.

I still use the equipment in the basement once in a while, but not very often.

Arnie
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 12:57

Plan: ??
Stats: 135/???/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

I love my gym. I like seeing the same people all the time...they become people you say hi to, etc. Like you've joined some club by going all the time. I would like to have a cardio machine at home for morning workouts, but there's no room. One day. If I had to choose b/w the 2 though I'd stick w/my gym for sure!

--Cindy
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 15:13
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I live in campus housing, so even my few small hand weights take up too much room. I was starting to run for my cardio, that way I just have to get out door. It's snowing atm however that has really bad effects on motivation.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 21:26
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Hi Sheri:

I've always felt that buying home equipment was a better investment than going to a gym. We've slowly been purchasing equipment over the last 15 years and we're now free of having to join a gym. I've always hated being limited by a gym's hours on weekends and holidays, although the upside is that they have so much more selection.

I find it much easier working out at home. When I was younger, I loved going to the gym, but now I enjoy being able to workout at home b/c of the convenience. I have a home office, so it makes it that much more convenient.

Given a choice between minimal home equipment and a gym membership, my personal preference would be with the gym membership.

Good luck with your decision!

Wanda
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 15:47

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%

Ok guys and gals,

After much debate and going over the points you guys made, I decided to do it. I joined a gym! It's open 24 hours a day so I can go at my customary time of 3:30-4 am. And there will be virtually no one else there.
My husband decided to join too so I will have a workout buddy.

I'm taking those horrible collared barbell and dumbbells back.

thanks for all your input!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 16:20
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Hi Sheri:

Given your situation, that was probably the wisest decision to make, plus you got a workout partner in the deal. But 3:30 am workouts? LOL, come to think of it, I used to do that when I did the "commute" thing.

Wanda