Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 18:30

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Default THE FIRM...anyone else addicted?

(I'm sure there's already a "Firm" thread on this forum somewhere......)

I got The Firm "parts pack" from my mom (another LC'er) for Christmas and thought I'd die the first time I watched the tapes... they just keep moving the whole time and they are using weights to top it all off! Well, I jumped on the FIRM bus and haven't stopped since. In fact, I even bought bellydance workouts for when I wanted a rest from the firm and have hardly touched them. The firm just gives you such a good workout for the time you put into it, and I can really see and feel the results! (They should be paying me to say all this!)
I'm sure there's a bunch of you on this board that are Firm addicts.. how did you find out about it and what are your favorite workouts?

Sheri
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 06:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/257/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

I'm so glad to see your post Sheri! I recently bought a pack of four Firm videos, but haven't tried them yet. (came down with a wicked flu right after purchasing them) I am starting them tomorrow. I got Five Day Abs, Upper Body, Standing Legs and Tough Tape 2. Think I'll hold off on the tough tape until I'm in better shape!

Are the workouts okay for beginners? I have 3 lb. hand weights to use with the videos, but not sure if I'll even need to. Moving my big arms alone might be enough weight....LOL.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 10:44
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Ibelieve! I got 2 this past week: Firm Cardio and Time Crunch Workout. I have not used them yet. I need to start using them. Let me know how good those are and I will do the same.

Happy working out.

red
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 11:00

Plan: Schwarzbein and Zone (love Dr. Weil too!)
Stats: 155/146/145
BF:???
Progress: 90%
Thumbs up Love the FIRM

I've been doing the FIRM for years, and am still seeing amazing results!!! Most recently, I lost all the weight from my second pregnancy, plus and extra 8 pounds!!!
You simply cannot beat these tapes for variety and results. They have a brand new set coming out this month too. It will three tapes, and a "sculpting stick" which is like a light barbell (about 8 pounds). The word is that this set will be great. They have it on sale this month for a great price at Collagevideo.com. I know tons of people who have pre-ordered it. It's going to be in their new infomercial coming out this month.
Keep up the good work!!! Firms can be for every fitness level, just modify. Start with no weights, then move slowly to three pounds, then five, etc. YOU WILL SEE RESULTS!!!

Carole
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 17:37
Registered Member

Stats: 300/257/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

Carole, thanks for the info and the encouragement! Those new tapes sound great. If these four work well for me I will definitely be looking for more!

Red, those two sound great too! I will definitely let you know how mine go, that is if I can still lift my arms to type....LOL Let me know how it goes for you too!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 21:57
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I love the Firm - just bought the 5 Day Abs (what's with the pretty boy?) and ordered some Fitprime tapes this weekend. Fitprime is made by some former Firmers - even more of a challenge, so I've heard. All around good tapes and no giggley instructors.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-03, 23:03

Default Firm

I can't believe how addictive these workouts are..

Ibelieve: Those are the same tapes I have and they are awesome!! The standing legs one is so hard.. I think it is harder than the tough tape 2 just because it is all legs instead of legs + arms. I still can't finish Standing legs yet! I was afraid to try TT2 just because of it's name but once I finally did I love it. And the first time I would recommend no weights or very light (I used 2.5 wrist weights for everything the first time and it was hard!) I still am not up to the poundage they use in the videos but I've only been doing them since Christmas. Good luck!

Red: let us know how you like those 2 workouts (time crunch & firm cardio) I am interested in both of those (they are already on my wish list at Amazon.com!)

Carole: I saw that new set with the Sculpting stick at Target and wondered if I had to pay so much for a fancy dowel... (yeah, I'm pretty cheap) Let me know if you like the videos in the set and if cheapos like me can substitute a heavy broom stick or dowel!!

Iowagirl: I love the abs tape probably most of all. It's not long or strenuous, but I do it every morning at 4:30 before work (about the only thing I can manage to do that early) and it's short enough that I can stick to it and hard enough that I see results. My little pot belly is almost gone! I love the Abs workout and I wish they'd come out with another one for religious ab'ers like me. And I have to roll my eyes at pretty boy every morning too! I think we could manage fine without the eye candy! I've been hearing about FitPrime and definately have to check it out...
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 11:25
empress of fashion

BF:

A dowel - fancy word for broom stick.
I'd like to see pretty boy sweat - might make it all worthwhile.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 19:06

Plan: Schwarzbein and Zone (love Dr. Weil too!)
Stats: 155/146/145
BF:???
Progress: 90%

Nitrovixen,
They have the sculpting set at Target already?? Are you sure it's the right one? I thought the FIRM wasn't even selling any until the end of the month!!! How much was it??
Carole
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 19:46

Default Firm

Carole: That's weird.. I'm sure I saw it. It was 3 videos and some kind of weird stick with round things on the end, looked like one of those plastic "Master's of the Universe" weapons except pink-purple, maybe Barbie's or somethin. (Deos that make any sense?) All I remember about the price is it was over $65.. too much for me! This is the same girl that climbed on the IKEA coffee table instead of the "tall box" or "fanny lifter" ha ha! But come on.. is there really any reason to buy a $50 stepping stool when I can use my old unused "Ab swiveler"?

Iowagirl: yeah! If I have to hear him say "lie supine" one more time I just might break! I want to choke pretty boy!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 14:50
empress of fashion

BF:

Ha Ha , Vixen.
You know there is a website for Anna Benson, I'm sure the Firm has one, too. Should we email and ask what's become of supine boy?
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 22:53

Iowagirl: Only if I can be president of his fan club! Maybe he'd send me an autographed photo o him in his grey sweat pants with no shirt.. it might say "Sheri, thanks for lying supine so well and so often! xoxo" ha ha
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 09:08
empress of fashion

BF:

That picture underneath your name - is that you lying supine for pretty boy?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 11:32

Default ha ha ha!

oh you're so clever! I'm laughing me ass off over here!
If you really want to get into it.. have you seen the two guys in "Upper Body" and "Standing Legs" (both from the Parts Pack)? Oh my gawd... It's like the guy Charles Atlas helped, the one who got sand kicked in his face and the other dude is like a mix of prince and michael jackson...His hair is like a neatly trimmed topiary. They sure know how to pick winners. And the tapes are eighties so the guys are wearing like spandex "swimsuits" (tank top & shorts in one)
(No offense if either of those two fellows are anybody on here!)

I have to laugh every morning when I do my ab tape.. "that was a GREAT week of ab work, see ya next week!" or "now that was tough" oh my.. I have all his lines memorized! My fiance hates supine boy.. maybe he's a little jealose I lie supine so willingly for him?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 10:16
empress of fashion

BF:

Sorry I've been out of the loop - had a rendzevous with supine boy. ("that was tough!" LOL)

I don't have the tapes mentioned. I just bought Fitprime Up and Down and did it on Monday. One word - "OW!" Of course, towards the end of the tape I realized she was using a barbell with two 5 pound weights while I was using two 10 pound dumb bells - (whose the dumb bell?). My biceps were screaming.

Also got their super cardio tape (I think that's the right name). That is on the agenda for Friday. It's 63 minutes, not sure I will do the whole thing, I happen to think that's a bit much. Looks like it will whip my a$$. But in a good way, of course!