Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 12:07

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Love Dr. Westman! His perpetually boyish looks and low-key charm are irresistible. But more important, he looks at the evidence: not only of so-called controlled studies but also of clinical results. He has attracted the attention of the medical community in a big way. And "just folks" like me with issues and questions know where to go online.

Thanks, Janet!

I agree. He is so reasonable. I really appreciated his pointing out that clinical results are evidence and should not just be overlooked as meaningless.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 13:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Newest podcast/video on DietDoctor: https://www.dietdoctor.com/diet-doc...dr-eric-westman

very good. Nice to hear his philosophy on medicine and keto and obesity. His lack of ego i n a high ego profession (medicine) is refreshing.
  #153   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 13:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I agree. He is so reasonable. I really appreciated his pointing out that clinical results are evidence and should not just be overlooked as meaningless.

X2
  #154   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-20, 13:34

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
So many new talks by Dr. Westman, but this is his newest speech given in Tel Aviv at the MetabolixOrg conference, posted yesterday. Also posted on the same YouTube channel, a new talk by Gary Taubes and Dr. Steve Phinney. Short interviews with some of the other speakers, their talks should also be added soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4odBoZYyaw

Great presentation by Dr. Westman. Very valuable for anyone who is just starting or has been doing low carb (keto) for years.

Edited to add: The discussion at the end acknowledges that those following keto have a different lipid profile than those following SAD. Eventually, this will become common knowledge, but to many in the Pharma and Medical communities, it's a dirty little secret that if validated, would change views on keto and make many drugs "treating" symptoms of Metabolic Syndrome unnecessary.
  #155   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 18:26
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Drs. Westman and Naiman seem to be at odds with one another on their recommendations.

Today I tried hard to get Naiman's "enough" protein and didn't come close, and I was using high-protein supplements in addition to food. Just can't do it.

Now that I'm not eating or drinking dairy, Page 4 seems to be what I'm eating. However, I do plan to continue to attempt to eat more protein.
  #156   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 01:43

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I run into that all the time while doing a lot of reading. One recommendation colliding with another. I make an educated (or through personal experience - pick one) decision and try not to throw the baby out with the bath water. The trap is to only agree with those who's recommendations coincide with what you're already doing.
  #157   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 03:58

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Drs. Westman and Naiman seem to be at odds with one another on their recommendations.

Why do you think that? Dr Westman really doesn’t have a protein recommendation. We don’t measure macros or grams...he believes you will eat what your body needs. If you are appetite suppressed, he wants you to prioritize protein before fat. And does not suggest whey powder. He mentions that 1-1.5 gram per Kg of Lean body mass as a guideline in this video on protein...but since his patients do not usually weigh meats (unless on a therapeutic diet), not at odds with Dr Naiman.

Good video on Protein: Are All Proteins Equal?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6dqg6XjRy0

This month, I am favoring more a carnivore diet, which also almost fits into Dr. Westman’s guidelines and I likely have a higher protein intake than usual. And when I first started NANY, and eventually learned about macros and my fitness pal, I worried what appeared to be high-protein (125g) and not enough fat. But the fat was coming from my body so it was all good.
  #158   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 04:43

BF:

Sometimes what appear to be contradictions seem to me to be different priorities so that different aspects of the eating plans are emphasized. Fortunately we always have the n=1 option so that we can try things out and see what works best for our own priorities.
  #159   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 07:12

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Y'all know I'm not about weighing and measuring and counting. Even when I'm on a track, as I am now, which is ketogenic, I just follow the "eat this, don't eat that" guidelines. Weight loss is slow compared to my wishes and expectations. But then, so was the gain that crept up on me over years, not weeks.

Even if I decided to do it, I'm not sure I could figure out how much protein vs. other nutrients is the right amount for my body. Also, I've read that determining the actual amount of protein in a given food is not simply a matter of weighing it. Finally, how long would it take following a self-determined protocol like that to see measurable results? And would those results be caused by what I did?

All these complications! It's one reason I never succeeded with Dr. Atkins's original "carb ladder." Weight changes are just too uneven to measure against small increments of adding or subtracting a single food or type of food, in my experience.

There's always the element of impatience, of course.

Someone posting on this forum said that at DietDoctor, followers of the low-carb "eat this, not this" plan were informed they could lose twenty pounds in a year. Twenty pounds in a year??? Hardly a dent for some. It doesn't sound so good for a "loser" even if it's the healthiest way of eating on the planet.

So...I eat some meat and fish, some cheese, some veggies, some fiber (flaxseed), and some fat (olive oil, butter, avocado, mayo, and the delicious part of a steak). Keeps me happy. And slowly--very, very slowly--my body is adjusting to wherever it wants to go.
  #160   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 07:23

BF:

Barbara - For me what works is weighing and measuring everything, otherwise I get sloppy around the edges and I seem to be very sensitive to carbs, a few too many and I gain weight. I think what happens to some people is that they get very impatient for results and every little blip of what they believe is the wrong direction leads to discouragement which then derails them. As always it comes down to what are your goals, what is your personality and what can you live with. It also helps to keep one's expectations reasonable, to not to expect too much too quickly. We each have to find our own personal style and plan of eating.
  #161   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 09:22

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
. As always it comes down to what are your goals, what is your personality and what can you live with. It also helps to keep one's expectations reasonable, to not to expect too much too quickly. We each have to find our own personal style and plan of eating.
I completely agree! As I know you know.
  #162   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 10:49

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
All these complications! It's one reason I never succeeded with Dr. Atkins's original "carb ladder." Weight changes are just too uneven to measure against small increments of adding or subtracting a single food or type of food, in my experience.
I weighed and tracked carefully but Atkins' carb ladder didn't work for me because more than 30g carbs/day activates my hunger and cravings for more carbs, derailing me. I can handle non-trigger foods on the ladder as long as I stay under 30g total carbs/day. When I am not measuring/counting, I aim for 20g based on food lists & accumulated knowledge and that keeps me under 30g.

It wasn't until ~15 years ago that people like Westman & the Eades determined that some people, particularly those with insulin resistance, will not be able to climb the ladder to 50-100g carbs. If I had known that 50 years ago, I could have saved myself a lot of grief. Lack of hunger and cravings is the primary reason for my success on my vLC diet as opposed to any other … and I have tried them all.
  #163   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 11:28

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

What astonishes me is how ditching vegetables stopped cravings. To NOT eat them with ZERO guilt -- awesome.
  #164   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-20, 06:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr. Westman's Keto Clinic serves many at-risk patients in the local community. About 50% of practice are referred from social services for obesity and diabetes.
Latest video for his patients on Everything you need to know about Covid-19: https://youtu.be/MZy-g9wgSiw

And How to Manage Type 2 Diabetes while in Quarantine/Stay at Home for Covid-19. Tips pertain to his weight loss patients, which is almost everyone in the practice, whether food insecure or comfortable.
https://youtu.be/vm_UJOlD_mo

He has also started a website promoting Mask use anytime outside the home in the Triangle area of N.C., but this information could be used by anyone to Start making/donating masks in your local area. He has already delivered 400 Homemade masks to a homeless mission home, plus other At risk communities as he gets the donations. https://www.coveringthetriangle.com

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Apr-10-20 at 11:57.
  #165   ^
Old Fri, Apr-10-20, 09:59

BF:
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I weighed and tracked carefully but Atkins' carb ladder didn't work for me because more than 30g carbs/day activates my hunger and cravings for more carbs, derailing me. I can handle non-trigger foods on the ladder as long as I stay under 30g total carbs/day. When I am not measuring/counting, I aim for 20g based on food lists & accumulated knowledge and that keeps me under 30g.

It wasn't until ~15 years ago that people like Westman & the Eades determined that some people, particularly those with insulin resistance, will not be able to climb the ladder to 50-100g carbs. If I had known that 50 years ago, I could have saved myself a lot of grief. Lack of hunger and cravings is the primary reason for my success on my vLC diet as opposed to any other … and I have tried them all.

I certainly love that Dr Westman has carried the baton for Dr Atkins......Dr Atkins addressed the carb ladder to maximize the benefits of vegetable and fruits AND he discusses in all his books that some of us will not be able to eat much more than the 20-30 level. So you are not alone.