Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#361   ^
Old Wed, May-30-18, 11:14

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I stopped the daily broth when I saw the msg in the ingredients - so now I started putting 1/4 tspn under my tongue with a 16oz water chaser. How many grams of sodium is that?

edit: ok, found this in the Phinney / Volek article:

.. 5 grams per day (3 grams in your food, 2 grams from broth/bouillon).

.. Salt and sodium are not the same.
1 teaspoon of salt = 5 grams of salt = 2.3 grams of sodium
(the rest is chloride)

Last edited by s93uv3h : Wed, May-30-18 at 11:25.
Sponsored Links
  #362   ^
Old Thu, May-31-18, 10:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
edit: ok, found this in the Phinney / Volek article:

.. 5 grams per day (3 grams in your food, 2 grams from broth/bouillon).

.. Salt and sodium are not the same.
1 teaspoon of salt = 5 grams of salt = 2.3 grams of sodium
(the rest is chloride)
How do you gals and guys get your 2 grams of salt a day? I'd like to be able to make bone broth and bottle / refrigerate them for daily doses, but that'll probably not happen.
  #363   ^
Old Thu, May-31-18, 10:44

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Rosemary, yes, salt makes me retain water.

s93, I put salt on my food, and in my water, and in my tea.
  #364   ^
Old Thu, May-31-18, 11:12

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Make one big pot full and use freezer ziplock bags to portion it up. I generally don't keep meat products for more than 3-4 days so freezing is the way to go!
  #365   ^
Old Thu, May-31-18, 11:12

BF:

SilverEm: thanks!
  #366   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-18, 04:57

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

New talk from Breckinridge.

Is salt reduction ‘the holy grail’ of preventing heart disease?

https://www.dietdoctor.com/is-salt-...g-heart-disease
  #367   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-18, 08:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
New talk from Breckinridge.

Is salt reduction ‘the holy grail’ of preventing heart disease?

https://www.dietdoctor.com/is-salt-...g-heart-disease

Sorry - I meant this video on salt - it only shows like a minute and then gets cut off.

What was the verdict on salt?
  #368   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-18, 09:40

Although Phinney, Volek and Westman have long advocated adding salt to a Ketogenic Diet, this is the most through explanation I’ve seen.

Think you have "adrenal fatigue"?...you may be low on this one essential mineral.

Sodium, Nutritional Ketosis, and Adrenal Function

https://blog.virtahealth.com/sodium...renal-function/
  #369   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-18, 10:16

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

My canary in the coal mine is my abdominal muscles, they'll cramp with exertion if I'm not using enough half-salt. A bit under a teaspoon in some water, plus salting food to taste with half-salt, seems to do the trick. I also take magnesium, but it's the potassium salt that I notice when I forget.
  #370   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-18, 11:25

That's interesting! I certainly do not pay enough attention to Potassium. Have the Half-Salt for an electrolyte drink, but like with many supplements, my use of it is hit or miss.
  #371   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-19, 14:14

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

I've been struggling with headaches and ache-y muscles and I knew it was some sort of water/electrolyte imbalance. I have been taking magnesium and potassium supplements and I drink at least 64 oz of water/day. I have had trouble with leg cramps in the past, but I've been okay with this lately.

I started reading through this thread and upped my salt intake a lot in the last couple of days. It started to help, and I didn't wake up this morning with all those imprint lines you get when you're retaining a lot of water. But I still had an isolated headache, some muscle aches and that weird puckered feeling in my mouth that you get when you eat a lot of salty food. I took another potassium supplement (those things are tiny at 99 mg) and within 30 minutes my muscle aches started to ease up, my headache is improving, and the puckery feeling is GONE.

I think I probably did need the salt, but it's such a delicate balance with the other electrolytes. Just a reminder that if you need to up one, there's a good chance you need to up the others, too.

I'll keep adjusting over the next few days.
  #372   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-19, 04:54

Even though you will find electrolyte drink recipes all around the LC and IF world, and I have not personally had any problem using them in small amounts, the IDM program recently added a warning about potassium. The pills are so tiny because an overdose can be lethal. The quote is here, though I continue to make a Keto-ade which has small, controlled amounts of K in water with half-salt.

Quote:
Potassium is not needed by most. We can get plenty from our food. IDM does not support supplementation as stated above.

Potassium can be lethal if too much is taken. The only sure way to know if you are low is by lab work.

Because there’s a danger if it’s overused: It can be fatal. Cardiac arrest.

I cringe when I see what seems to be cavalier use of potassium. Too much or too little can kill. It should never be supplemented without a doctor’s advice.
Especially if you have heart issues

Can add Potassium from:

Spinach
Avocados
Mushrooms
Meat

#373   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-19, 06:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I added more meat to DH’s diet, and his night time cramps resolved.
  #374   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-19, 12:05

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Even though you will find electrolyte drink recipes all around the LC and IF world, and I have not personally had any problem using them in small amounts, the IDM program recently added a warning about potassium. The pills are so tiny because an overdose can be lethal. The quote is here, though I continue to make a Keto-ade which has small, controlled amounts of K in water with half-salt.

Thanks JEY. I was aware that's why the pills are so tiny. In the context I was writing, I meant that I felt it would be okay to take another one, because it would be okay to go from supplementing 2% to supplementing 4%. For me, the supplements are easier than Keto-ade or SmartWater.

I eat a wide variety of foods, including spinach, beef, and cold water fish, but maybe not enough for me.

My general conclusion is that I thought my salt intake was too low based on how I felt several days ago, so I started adding more to food, drinking broth, etc. to increase my intake. And it sort-of worked. But because electrolytes work in balance with each other, adding salt threw off my balance and I ended up needing both more potassium and more magnesium to get back in balance.

I still feel like I haven't found a solid set point, but I'm feeling much better. I'm not feeling as lethargic and achy as I was and my headache is mainly gone.
  #375   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-19, 12:26

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
Thanks JEY. I was aware that's why the pills are so tiny. In the context I was writing, I meant that I felt it would be okay to take another one, because it would be okay to go from supplementing 2% to supplementing 4%. For me, the supplements are easier than Keto-ade or SmartWater.

I eat a wide variety of foods, including spinach, beef, and cold water fish, but maybe not enough for me.

My general conclusion is that I thought my salt intake was too low based on how I felt several days ago, so I started adding more to food, drinking broth, etc. to increase my intake. And it sort-of worked. But because electrolytes work in balance with each other, adding salt threw off my balance and I ended up needing both more potassium and more magnesium to get back in balance.

I still feel like I haven't found a solid set point, but I'm feeling much better. I'm not feeling as lethargic and achy as I was and my headache is mainly gone.

City Girl, I take a prescription strength of Potassium because the 100mg is ridiculous. The RDA is something around 2800mg so you would have to take 280 over the counter to go over that
My prescription is about 750mg and since I was getting dizzy, very dizzy for hours, it made all the difference to stop that! I think I may be predisposed to being deficient in Potassium because I had bad symptoms in my 20s where my leg muscles would just give out while going up several flights of stairs.
But especially with strict LC induction levels for me, I had to have more potassium.