Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-16, 12:37

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%
Default People over 55

What kind of weight loss are people over 55 getting on LCHF?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-16, 13:26

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I'm the same height as you and now 62. LCHF has permitted the best, sustainable weightloss of my life, all after age 50. After 35 years of yo-yoing, for me this is the only satiating WOE for losing & maintaining. I did tweak by eliminating my inflammatory foods (dairy protein, grains, soy) and got below 150 lbs, where I always got stuck when younger than 50. Rate was 0.5 to 1 lb/week, slowing down for the last 15, but it kept moving. Now I maintain with intermittent fasting (a 4-10 hr eating window).

Last edited by deirdra : Mon, Oct-10-16 at 13:32.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-16, 13:48

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I am 67 years old. I have lost over 120 pounds all after age 55. I have no trouble maintaining this weight loss. I can't eat dairy, grains, soy or eggs and I avoid fruit because of all the carbs so I live mostly on meat, fish and low carb veggies with plenty of good fat. It's working; it's easy; I enjoy it.

Jean
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-16, 16:16

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 218.5/203.8/150 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 21%

Following....you guys have done wonderful
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-16, 16:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I lost 5 lbs in three years on a standard diet, from 189 to 184. Since I started low carb/grain free in August of 2013, I've lost another 35 lbs, and am below 150 for the first time in well over 2 decades.

I'm hypothyroid, and thought that was the reason I couldn't seem to lose. Nope. It was the carbs!

I stay below 20 grams of carbs a day, usually below 10. I eat mostly meat, eggs and some dairy, mostly HWC, and a few veggies most days.

I DID regain 12 of the first 20 I'd lost, over a tough winter when I gave myself the excuse to eat a bunch of dried fruit. But since the spring of last year, I lost that 12 and another 15. So, a little better than a pound a month. Which is still MUCH better than every 7 months, and then nothing!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-16, 19:01

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm 63. The weight loss is slow. But that's better than no weight loss at all. The best part is my blood sugars are now coming close to normal.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-16, 22:46
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

I was 65 when I reached my goal of 100 pounds lost, and have been maintaining - give or take a pound or two - for the last 18 months.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-16, 12:15

Wow these results are great! I'm 60 and I was asking because I'm losing barely a lb a week being on LCHF and if I have alcohol, I don't lose. My thyroid is fine. (last time I check every few years..I have no symptoms like feeling cold, dry skin or dry hair) I was hoping to lose a lot faster. I don't think I'm under 20. I'm still adjusting to the diet and I still have to drink bullion every day. I was hoping for a 5-10 lbs loss the first week and I lost 1 lb. I didn't think I was over doing the dairy.. My clothes feel better.. looser and I have more energy. I have 50 lbs to lose. Do any of you exercise regularly? I walk 30 mins and I try to work out with weights. When I first started this WOE I was very lethargic and I went a couple of weeks without exercising. Now I'm back into it. I hope to see better results on the scale!
I like this way of eating so much better. I'm eating real food.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-16, 12:21

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

So...if you assume that this is your WOE for the rest of your life, does it really matter if it takes you a year, or 5 years to lose the weight? Stop allowing yourself to go off plan, and focus on the ways that you feel better on LCHF.

It's an entirely different way of approaching things from what we learned to do: always focus on the loss, and expect it to be steady. Except that it isn't, and never is, and the "expectations" that we were sold on were based on mathematical formulas, not the actual metabolic processes of actual human bodies.

I have a goal to reach my goal by NYE. Will I make it? No clue. I can't control voluntarily how my body metabolizes what I give it. All I can do is give it on plan foods, and go along for the ride.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-16, 13:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers
Do any of you exercise regularly? I walk 30 mins and I try to work out with weights. When I first started this WOE I was very lethargic and I went a couple of weeks without exercising. Now I'm back into it. I hope to see better results on the scale!
I like this way of eating so much better. I'm eating real food.

I walk a mile after each of my 2 main meals to help with my gastroparesis. Sometimes I miss one or the other, but rarely both. I don't think it helps with weight loss, but it helps my bg & just generally feeling better. I lost weight before walking regularly. I used to be very lethargic too - it was hard to just get out of bed.

You're doing great losing a pound a week - it takes me a month! And I generally eat 10g carbs a day.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-16, 13:22

BF:

I lost the first 100 pounds with no regular exercise. The final 20+ have come off after I started walking 4-6 miles a day. There are benefits to exercise but losing weight is not necessarily one of them.

Jean
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-16, 13:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I lost the first 100 pounds with no regular exercise. The final 20+ have come off after I started walking 4-6 miles a day. There are benefits to exercise but losing weight is not necessarily one of them.

Jean

Just curious - is that 4-6 miles all at once or is it the daily total? While I walk my 2 miles divided into 2x a day, my fit bit says I walk over 5 miles/day. That's just my usual trotting around doing my animal chores, housework, & other things. I've noticed that the total mileage goes way down if I have to drive anywhere. Too bad I can't walk to town.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-16, 14:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Just curious - is that 4-6 miles all at once or is it the daily total? While I walk my 2 miles divided into 2x a day, my fit bit says I walk over 5 miles/day. That's just my usual trotting around doing my animal chores, housework, & other things. I've noticed that the total mileage goes way down if I have to drive anywhere. Too bad I can't walk to town.

That's my daily Fitbit total but only about 1-2 miles just walking around. I usually take one walk of about 3 miles and another walk of about 2 miles give or take.

Jean
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-16, 14:06

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 218.5/203.8/150 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
So...if you assume that this is your WOE for the rest of your life, does it really matter if it takes you a year, or 5 years to lose the weight? Stop allowing yourself to go off plan, and focus on the ways that you feel better on LCHF.

Except that it isn't, and never is, and the "expectations" that we were sold on were based on mathematical formulas, not the actual metabolic processes of actual human bodies.

I definitely needed to hear that! Thank you! I need to post on my frig, desk, phone, etc.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-16, 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
So...if you assume that this is your WOE for the rest of your life, does it really matter if it takes you a year, or 5 years to lose the weight? Stop allowing yourself to go off plan, and focus on the ways that you feel better on LCHF. .

Hi, I never said I went off the plan? I'm just not at 20 grams. I eat 25-30 grams of carb.