Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 06:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/176.2/168 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Great loss this week Jey, well done.
I dont know. The carbs in it I presume? I absolutely LOVE cottage cheese and could easy eat half a kilo in one sitting. I can't trust myself with it! Best not to risk it.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 07:10

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labhrain
I am still craving salt, despite not being new at all to low carb. I was eating very low carb before going to Stillman. You'd think I wouldn't be having salt cravings.

When I first started cutting my fat out I got salt cravings too. I thought it quite strange for the same reasons. Like Jey, we use the Himalayan crystal salt (gotta love TJ's!), and I'm still trying to use up a pretty full bottle of No-Salt. I think with going lower fat on top of LC my body seems to be throwing off more water than before. I don't notice the salt cravings anymore but I salt most stuff that I am eating now too. Hopefully it's just a little phase and passes quickly for you.
  #93   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 07:13
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Good going, JEY!!!!!

You've dropped that bounce weight and more rather quickly.

Dita, cottage cheese isn't my downfall but Greek yogurt owns me. For that reason I can't have it in the house.
  #94   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 08:23
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

JEY, congrats on the loss! This is great going.

I have no idea if I can tolerate cottage cheese or not. I guess I like it okay, but not enough to have bothered with it at this point.

I use RealSalt, which is also pinkish in color and has all the other natural elements typically found in salt (unrefined.) It's quite tasty, so I don't mind feeding the salt craving, except for that it's a bit of an annoyance. I had just wondered if anyone else noted this issue, despite already being very low carb before taking up Stillman. Salt doesn't bloat me, so I'm fortunate that way.

I think I might weigh myself tomorrow or the next day. I don't typically weigh daily, and sometimes not even weekly.
  #95   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 19:08
Real food!

BF:

Okay, I think I'm finishing the day out around 1215. Oddly, I'm still a bit hungry, but I'm going to wait. Sometimes it suddenly hits, then I regret eating more. I had pork for dinner, and I suspect the fat content of the meat was a bit higher, and the protein content a bit lower, than the food tracker gave. I say this because it was one of the darker pork loin chops, as opposed to the lighter meat ones. There seems to be a bit more fat on the darker ones. But, I love them and wasn't going to deny myself when I had very little fat all day.
  #96   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 08:55

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I found sugar-free and fat-free Maple Grove Raspberry Vinaigrette at Walmart. It appears to be flavored water and Xantham gum but it will have to do for this week.
Lab, I have now been at 166 for four days, and I both exercised madly and ate almost nothing yesterday. I know all about "why scales lie" and CICO doesn't work, but it sure can be frustrating without a bit of positive feedback in the short-term. I have to focus on the week number or I'd dive into some fats right now. Hope that week number is a good one for you.
  #97   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 09:09
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

JEY, the sugar-free is also fat-free. It has great flavor and the other night I used it plain as a dip for my baked chicken tenders.
  #98   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 10:10
Real food!

BF:

JEY, yes, things can move slowly and be a bit frustrating. But, let's just hang in there.

I need to get back on track today. Last night, I had horrible vegetable and oil cravings after dinner. Nothing was going to quell them except giving in, it seemed. So, I did. And, I ate a TON of extra kcals in the process. I ate some cheese with it, which gave me a stomach ache (which is finally going away now) and a stuffy nose. (Damned dairy issues.) Despite it, the scale was pretty kind to me today, as I weighed in at 167, the lowest weight since starting Stillman. I guess I won't always be perfect at this, but I'll get back on and do the very best I can.
  #99   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 10:20

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

You doing great, ladies!
I am still working my way to lower fat. I thought I was doing alright, as I don't add fat to my food anymore. But putting it in Fitday, I still come up with 50% fat! A lot lower then my usual 80, but there is room for improvement. Calories average 1100.
I don't have a scale right now, since I moved and did not pack the last one. I can get pretty fanatic with the scale, so I am trying to do without. We'll see how that works, lol.
  #100   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 10:32
Real food!

BF:

Fauve, I think you're probably fine with a bit more fat if you're keeping kcals down so low. Seems to me that the point of the relatively low fat on Stillman isn't about fat, itself, but about kcals. Fat is energy dense, so lower fat means a lot fewer kcals than lower anything else. But, if you've already got kcals down to an average of 1100, you may be just fine where you are.
  #101   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 10:44

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Thanks Lab. I have increased protein quite a bit, and in the beginning, it scared me. Not used to so much protein anymore. But it sure satisfies hunger, and the cal count goes down rapidly that way. I can do this way of eating for a while, for sure. No pain.
  #102   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-12, 12:20
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Glad I decided to try low fat for a while...it appears to be just the temporary nudge needed to burn some more body fat, instead of maintaining for so many months with 60% dietary fats.
This is my thinking as well. I'll be very happy to see onederland again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labhrain
Last night, I had horrible vegetable and oil cravings after dinner. Nothing was going to quell them except giving in, it seemed. So, I did. And, I ate a TON of extra kcals in the process.
You did your best given the situation, so good for you getting right back on track . I have to remind myself every day that doing my best doesn't always mean being perfect. That's why I put it in my signature.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I started yesterday, and managed to stay on track despite it being a crazy busy day . A bit over 1000 cals w. 32% fat, got in 8+ glasses of water and supplements.

Start weight was 205.8 .. down .8 this morning .. beginners' luck . Starting waist measurement .. 39.5 inches. Even if the weight doesn't fall dramatically, I'll be happy to see my belly deflate. The "menopot" has shifted to above the waist .. as I sit here typing it's like a shelf for the girls to rest on

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

#103   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-12, 09:11
Real food!

BF:

Yay, Doreen! Great first day and some results already. I have an above-the-waist pot, too, but I can't blame menopause. I've not been there yet. I just happen to carry most of my fat above the waist,directly under my breasts. AND, it's the fat that absolutely, positively does NOT want to budge!! I know it will be the last to go. Despite a 65 pound loss, I still have a 40 inch waist, because of that belly (and perhaps, in part, because of large fibroids, as well.) But, even before the fibroids, that upper belly was ALWAYS the first place to gain, the last place to lose.

So, I lost an impressive nearly 2 pounds (1.8) from yesterday to today. My bladder was very busy last night, so I know I'd been holding onto some water. Good to have it gone.

I finished out yesterday around 1150 kcals, and have a good start onto today with beef patties and eggs for breakfast.
  #104   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-12, 12:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/176.2/168 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 90%

I am having lean beef patties and eggs every day - it!
  #105   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-12, 15:54

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Lab, The Whoosh Fairy visited you..literally and figuratively!
That is great news.

I was just trying to find the QWL cookbook and ran across a recipe thread from a competing LCForum, so I hesitate to link it here. But if you google Stillman QWL diet recipes, they are easy to find...things like a quiche, various meatballs, etc if you need some variety. Or you can do beef and eggs every day

I was firmly in nutritional ketosis on Westman's diet keeping protein around 80-90 g. I tried the blood ketone test again and the ketone reading was so low, it wasn't detectable. Seems my protein levels near 130 g. have knocked me out of ketosis, so hoping that calorie restriction takes over.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Aug-05-12 at 16:50.