Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-14, 06:03

Plan: Rosedale
Stats: 129/125/122 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress:

Once again a morning bg of 83 (always 103-107 before starting niacin) and ketones 2.6 (new high).

I think the next experiment will be taking another 500mg niacin during the day and monitor ketones and bg before and after 2 hour and 4 hour post. I'm especially interested in the effect of niacin on blood glucose. I'm just really curious. Didn't curiosity kill the cat?
Leslie
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-14, 10:19

BF:
Progress:

In my continuing experiment I have continued to take 500 mg Niacin before falling asleep. My fbg has gone down to the 80s and my ketones up to the 2-3 range. Before my ketones were in the 100-105 range and ketones upon waking around 1.7.

Last night I forgot and woke up at 2 am and took the niacin. I stayed awake unfortunately and can attest that I had horrid flushing all over. This morning at 5:30 my fbg was 78 (a new low) and ketones were 4.8 (a new dramatic high).

Without a doubt the naicin is having dramatic and positive effects on my fbg and my ketone levels. My appetite is lower and I've lost a couple pounds without effort.

I know the research I have looked at showed an increase in fbg with niacin and I wonder if being in ketosis has changed this reaction to a lower fbg or if this is a Dr. Phinney phenomenon like cholesterol reactions to ketosis which are either higher, lower, or stay the same? In other words varies with the individual.
Leslie
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-14, 11:50

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I've wondered sometimes whether the hyperglycemic effect of niacin might explain some of its therapeutic effect--whether the elevated rebound free fatty acids, by sparing glucose and promoting gluconeogenesis, would be protective against hypoglycemia.

It makes sense that the same metabolic drive to avoid hypoglycemia could result in elevated glucose in a person whose liver glycogen stores are high, and elevated ketones in a keto-adapted person with lower glycogen stores.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, May-18-14, 15:21

BF:
Progress:

Today i took 500 mg niacin during the day instead of right before bed so i could take postprandiol blood glucose and ketone readings and here they are: also i have no 'noticeable' flushing when i take niacin right before going to bed but the flushing today was extreme and painful and lasted over an hour. The things we do for science?

1 hour bg 97, ketones 1.7
2 hour bg 101 k .9
3 hour bg 95 k 2.2

Leslie
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Sep-07-15, 18:10

Plan: Keto clarity
Stats: 256/223/185 Male 6'3''
BF:
Progress:

This is a pretty awesome thread. Thanks for all the data and papers.

I too am interested in experimenting with niacin after reading about mthfr and this link:
http://selfhacked.com/2015/09/06/na...-health-issues/

Boosting your ketones sounds awesome. I may do it just for that (+ other side effects of higher ketones like appetite supression). I also like the idea of mobilizing fat and/or jump starting your energy metabolism deep down (hopefully without feeling hungry!).
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-15, 06:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

This book review and website will give you a sense of the work Dr. Abram Hoffer did with niacin:

Niacin, the real story

The flush tends to dissipate as you get rid of too much histamine in the body. I was up to 3 grams with no flushing until I got shingles... which had nothing to do with the niacin. I have just been struggling with illness and this is what happens when one's resistance is low.

I felt good while taking it, presently take 500 mg and no flushing. However, if I do, it feels so good after I don't mind

I'm taking it to remove the effects of chronic stress.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-15, 15:04
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Interesting stuff. My DS just started the 24 day Advocare? challenge.
Looked it up, some of the supplements like "Sparks" contain lots of niacin. Not sure that's a safe thing to be doing? It's also huge in the popular types of "Energy Shot" boosters.

My DB and I once took niacin polls -- I remember it made us as red as an lobster Never took it more than twice.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-16, 20:07

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

I'm currently reading Dr Hoffers niacin and would be interested to hear any follow up comments about a ketogenic diet and niacin working well together for both fat loss and health improvement.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-18, 12:27

Plan: Keto
Stats: 153/128/135 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

My eGFR was only 43 and I read Dr. Hoffer's article on Niacin he recommended to his patients taking 3 gms a day, I took it in 3 dosages a day and my last blood test shown my eGFR was 47 and seems to be working in my case. But taking 1000mg after each meal gave me uneasy feeling and I wonder if I could sustain that any more.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-20, 09:17

Plan: Keto
Stats: 238/193/183 Male 71.5
BF:
Progress:
Default any of you people still doing this stuff?

I have been doing keto for 2 years now but just recently discovered niacin. Are you guys still doing this? Are you even monitoring this thread anymore?
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-20, 10:21

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

There is a second thread that is more active...n
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-20, 02:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjonson
I have been doing keto for 2 years now but just recently discovered niacin. Are you guys still doing this? Are you even monitoring this thread anymore?

I did one in the War Zone:

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=476273