Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-16, 19:58

Plan: <150 Carbs
Stats: 180/178/165 Male 180
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Bloody urine during fasting

About six months ago I was ten days into a water fast. My day involved jogging to work 3 miles, working, and jogging/walking back.

On the morning of the tenth day I got cramps in my bladder and had to urgently pee. I found there was blood mixed in with urine, it was a murky brown/orange colour and it hurt really bad to pee. After I had "been" I felt okay.

I stopped my fast, after jogging to work, that day... or the next day; I can't remember which one and I didn't experience blood in my urine again.

Has any other low-carber experienced this while fasting ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-16, 20:28
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I've never heard of any of those symptoms being related to diet, but... a ten day fast?! This sounds a little excessive.

I'd strongly suggest you see a doctor. It's likely a bladder infection or kidney issue that you shouldn't ignore.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-16, 20:43
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Uh, you might also look at our recent policy via Doreen's post here re extended water fasts. I tend to doubt the connection between the water fasting and the passing of blood though. But like Kristine, I suggest you see a doctor.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-16, 21:38

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Jason Fung always says that extended fasts are safe, except that he says you should be monitored by your doctor -- especially if you need to lower medication.

Ten days doesn't seem excessive to me, however, and I would think your symptoms may not be related to the fast.

Last edited by katmeyster : Sat, Aug-06-16 at 00:24.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-05-16, 21:59
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeyster
Jason Fung always says that extended fasts are safe, except that he says you should be monitored by your doctor -- especially if you need to lower medication.

Ten days doesn't seem excessive to me, however, and I would think your symptoms may not be related to the fast.

PS: I'd probably ignore his advice myself, mostly because I don't know any physicians who believe in fasting. I'm thinking about doing a long fast -- my longest has been 40 hours. I actually really like them now.

Kaymeyster, I'm going to take a guess here that you didn't read my link to Doreen's post in my previous post. I'm now going to strongly suggest you do so, because, as her post clearly explains, this forum no longer supports prolonged water fasts.

Doreen's post regarding water fasting
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-16, 05:49

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

One of the risks of fasting or even of a very ketogenic diet is the possible formation or worsening of kidney stones. They give kids on the ketogenic diet for epilepsy potassium citrate to reduce the probability of kidney stone formation.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-16, 07:32

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Kaymeyster, I'm going to take a guess here that you didn't read my link to Doreen's post in my previous post. I'm now going to strongly suggest you do so, because, as her post clearly explains, this forum no longer supports prolonged water fasts.

Doreen's post regarding water fasting
curious to see Doreen's post but when I try to go to the link I get:
vBulletin Message
Quote:
Merpig, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Your user account may have been suspended due to a violation of our forum rules. If that is the case, please contact us at webmaster~lowcarber.org
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-16, 08:07
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
curious to see Doreen's post but when I try to go to the link I get:
vBulletin Message

The link was broken . It's fixed now.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-16, 11:09

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Extended fast or no extended fast, blood in the urine is not something that you limit your advice seeking to non-professionals on the internet.

Blood in the urine means that you get in to see your primary physician IMMEDIATELY. As in, call the office, say you are coming in, and why, and that you expect to be seen that day.

Waiting this long was less than wise. Please, for your own sake, don't do that anymore, OK?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-16, 09:39

Plan: <150 Carbs
Stats: 180/178/165 Male 180
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thanks for all suggestions to see a doctor...

Now I've looked into it further it seems I had the symptoms of a kidney infection according to The British NHS

Anyway... it's healed now, but definitely something to mention to the professionals in case of complications.

Last edited by gy___ : Sun, Aug-07-16 at 09:48.