Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 11:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/153/120 Female 62"
BF:Start38%
Progress: 33%
Question PERSISTENT HEADACHE NORMAL!?

HELLPPPP!!!
I'm on day 5 of induction (6lb loss) and my headache is very severe. Went to bed and woke up with it. And I've had it since day 2. Is it normal to last this long? Will it go away? How? How soon? Visited headache thread, am taking supplements. Is this normal!!! A little worried about this. Any suggestions? about.
Ruby
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 12:24

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I guess my first question is are you drinking enough? 64 oz of water plus 8 oz for every 25 pounds you want to lose?

My second question would be: Are you eating enough? Sometimes we experience no hunger and forget to eat. This doesn't mean you aren't hungry. Are you consuming 10 to 12 times your body weight in calories?

Third would be, how much caffine did you consume before the diet? Could be you are having some massive withdrawals.

No the headache doesn't normally last through the 5th day, unless of course one or more of the above apply.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 12:40

Default headache

Thanks Agonycat,
I've been eating enough I'm sure. And I'm not a coffee drinker so it's not caffeine withdrawal. I'm drinking about 1.5L of water a day. Is that enough?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 13:20

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I have a feeling you are dehydrating and that is why you are having headaches. You have lost lots of water already and 50 oz just isn't enough. Try drinking more. The norm is 64 oz of water plus 8 more oz for every 25 pounds you want to lose.

Here's hoping you feel better by tomorrow

*hugs*
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 13:22

Default dehydration

Yep, I think you're right. Thanks so much Agonycat.
Great big hugs back for your help and advice.
Ruby
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 00:08
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 160/150/112 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default headaches

I've had the same problem and water and rest helps in the first few days.
I actually started induction before xmas but gave it up and have gone back on again now that the parties and visitors are over. When I broke induction the first time (and the only I hope) and ate carbs, I developed a massive headache and assumed it was due to the sudden sugar/insulin rush, is this possible?
Cali
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 10:17
Registered Member

Stats: 266/246/210
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default I think so

Hi Cali, I understand that going back onto carbs can cause headaches, so i guess insulin could be the reason.

Also to Ruby, drink LOTS more water! Before i went on my diet, i was drinking about 3 pints a day, but yesterday i drank 10! and only because i was SO thirsty. Water is SO good for you, you should drink lots & lots.

Steve
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 20:31

Unhappy headaches

Hi Cali and Steve
Welcome. Thanks for the advice Steve. I still had my headache last night took two Advils and it went away, then this morning took two more. (I've never taken aspirin in my life!) Today the headache is still there, but not quite as bad. On the left side, can't barely walk. I'm not a headachey person, so I know it's the diet. I drank 64oz plus today! Still headachey. Hope tomorrow will be better. I also upped my protein intake to see if that would help. Good luck to all!
Ruby