Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-14, 08:50

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
When I was on vacation a few weeks ago, I woke my daughters up early and we all went down to the beach to watch the sunrise. Now, you could probably count on one hand the number of times I've done something like that. Anyway, I was surprised do see so many crazy people up at the crack of dawn walking the beach. There are way more "morning people" than I would have expected. And now, I guess I need to rethink that "crazy" label just a bit. Maybe I've been the crazy one - living my life with a carb hangover every morning. I used to be sluggish and half awake until I had a few cups of coffee in me. No more. I'm very much awake and I enjoy that peaceful time in the early morning. Who'd have thought that? Not me.

Great story khrussva. On a beach vacation with a high-carb friend I was up and walking the beach at dawn every morning but my friend stayed in bed almost until lunchtime each day. I thought it was a shame to miss the sunrise, the dolphins jumping, the other friendly early morning people. I have to say that I wasn't always an early riser - far, far, from it. I thought it just happened with getting older, but now you've made me think about the carb factor.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Wed, Sep-24-14, 11:43
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapgirl
Having the same experience! I've always been a bit of a morning person even though I'm a little sluggish at first. The sluggish has gone away and I usually wake up at 4:30 with my husband now. It's awesome!!

Cool that you can get up and see your husband off (assuming that he gets up that early for a reason). What does he think of that? I hope 4:30am is not in my future. I'm still a beginner at this "morning person" thing, but that seems a bit too early for me.

Before I started this way of eating, I used to get up at 6:55am -- which gave me just enough time to get dressed, get fed, throw a lunch together, and make it to work on time. When I started eating LC last February, I got up 10 minutes earlier to cook breakfast and started making my lunch the night before. That gave me just enough time to get it all done. But soon, I started waking up before my alarm went off. Before long, it was more than 30 minutes before the alarm. Then it finally donned on me that I was becoming a "morning person" and I may as well take advantage of it. A few weeks ago, I set my alarm to 6:15am and I now take my time in the morning. It takes all the stress out of getting ready for work. I'll take another 15 minutes earlier if it comes. I think I can do 6:00am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
Great story khrussva. On a beach vacation with a high-carb friend I was up and walking the beach at dawn every morning but my friend stayed in bed almost until lunchtime each day. I thought it was a shame to miss the sunrise, the dolphins jumping, the other friendly early morning people. I have to say that I wasn't always an early riser - far, far, from it. I thought it just happened with getting older, but now you've made me think about the carb factor.

My wife didn't want to join us. She slept in. Maybe it was all the pizza, donuts, and junk food she'd eaten the day before? Anyway, she missed a gorgeous sunrise and a very enjoyable walk. I had some great Daddy/Daughter time.

Last edited by khrussva : Wed, Sep-24-14 at 13:41.
  #108   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-14, 17:50

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

I never know what to expect out of the scale, from day to day. I haven't been using a tape measure because I don't trust my ability to be consistent with the tightness of the tape and/or the placement. However, I do measure my ribs in the location you would consider the bra band. As little as a month ago, I was 38 inches. I am now almost 35 inches. That's a huge drop. almost three inches in a month or so. Now I wish I knew what date I measured.
  #109   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-14, 20:16

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
I never know what to expect out of the scale, from day to day. I haven't been using a tape measure because I don't trust my ability to be consistent with the tightness of the tape and/or the placement. However, I do measure my ribs in the location you would consider the bra band. As little as a month ago, I was 38 inches. I am now almost 35 inches. That's a huge drop. almost three inches in a month or so. Now I wish I knew what date I measured.
I really got excited a few days ago when I put on a bra and hooked it on the last hook--until I realized it was the bra I had set aside a few weeks ago because it was too big!! What a let down!!
  #110   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-14, 21:28

Plan: Keto, gluten/nut-free
Stats: 245.8/179/149 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I have a conference this weekend, and chose a dress I hadn't worn in almost a year. Last time I worn it, it was a bit tight.

Today, it is ridiculously too big! It is literally falling off my shoulders, but I didn't have anything else dressy that would fit any better, so I put a matching sweater over top to hide the looseness, and off I went to the conference!
  #111   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-14, 07:48

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I climbed a mountain yesterday! That's something I never thought I could do back when I was lugging so much extra weight around.
  #112   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-14, 08:04

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Awww JAnn, don't despair!! Best thing to do is now go out and buy yourself a gorgeous new lacy bra, one that is a little smaller, and work towards it! Splurge a little. You deserve it! And it'll give you something to look forward to. :-)

CallMeAnn, I don't trust myself with a tape measure either. I am never sure if I'm doing it right, so I don't use one. I just try to go by the size of the jeans I buy. Buying and wearing jeans now, after nearly 2 decades of NOT wearing any, is amazing! I used to wear nothing but loose black elastic types of slacks, black, slacks. SLACKS. Just the word, ughh! Slacks! Now I am the proud owner of denim JEANS! Oh God, how great it is to wear JEANS!! With a REAL BUTTON and ZIPPER! LOL!!

Werebear climbed a mountain! OMG, that is wonderful! I wish we had a mountain here in north Florida, haha, that would be really strange, but it would mean we had cool weather up at the top and trust me, I'd be up there!!

Khrussva, I get up early now too. I don't know if it's the WOE though. I have always been one to want to get up earlier in the fall/winter time. Just so I can soak up the cooler weather. It's so darn hot here in Florida. I love to get up early, get my coffee, and get online with my office window open. Just like this morning! It's 72 out, NICE for Florida!

You know, they food industry, sure made breakfast so easy to go overboard on. All of those pretty candy colored donuts and muffins.....pop tarts and cereals. They made it so easy for us to just wake up, and you know how long it takes to 'get going' in the a.m., right? I for one, and NOT in the mood to cook first thing! To grab some muffins or donuts was a simple quick fix for having some food first thing. I'm glad I don't eat like that anymore. I sometimes miss it, but mentally, I don't. Best thing for breakfast to me? Dinner leftovers!! Who says you've gotta have eggs and bacon for breakfast, hahah? In fact, this a.m. I have some chicken curry leftover that I am going to eat. I must have an iron stomach to be able to 'stomach' curry for breakfast, hahahah!!

Have a great day everyone!

Oh yeah, forgot--this IS a NSV post-- I nearly forgot: latest NSV is being able to bend over to paint my toenails! As many of you know, I am legally blind, so 'seeing' what I'm doing has always been a challenge. My husband used to paint them for me. But now I can bend over enough to do it myself. In fact, I can even get my right leg up and onto my left knee and bend my foot with the help of my hand enough so I can really see what I'm doing. Not as flexible with the left side yet, to do it this way, but I'm working on it. Meanwhile, I can sit at my desk and bend down and do it this way, even if I slather a lot of paint on my skin, it'll come off soon enough after a nice shower! And then my toes look FABULOUS!! It's a pretty big victory for a woman to have pretty toes, ya know!!
  #113   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-14, 08:45

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Awww JAnn, don't despair!! Best thing to do is now go out and buy yourself a gorgeous new lacy bra, one that is a little smaller, and work towards it! Splurge a little. You deserve it! And it'll give you something to look forward to. :-)
I am waiting a while before I go fancy shopping. I want to have an idea of what size I will be wearing. At one time I wore a 34DD but now these poor saggy, baggy puppies may not get there!

Quote:
CallMeAnn, I don't trust myself with a tape measure either. I am never sure if I'm doing it right, so I don't use one. I just try to go by the size of the jeans I buy. Buying and wearing jeans now, after nearly 2 decades of NOT wearing any, is amazing! I used to wear nothing but loose black elastic types of slacks, black, slacks. SLACKS. Just the word, ughh! Slacks! Now I am the proud owner of denim JEANS! Oh God, how great it is to wear JEANS!! With a REAL BUTTON and ZIPPER! LOL!!
Loved this! I know how you feel!

Quote:
Werebear climbed a mountain! OMG, that is wonderful! I wish we had a mountain here in north Florida, haha, that would be really strange, but it would mean we had cool weather up at the top and trust me, I'd be up there!!
Congratulations to Werebear on the climb. I'm not there yet.

Quote:
Khrussva, I get up early now too. I don't know if it's the WOE though. I have always been one to want to get up earlier in the fall/winter time. Just so I can soak up the cooler weather. It's so darn hot here in Florida. I love to get up early, get my coffee, and get online with my office window open. Just like this morning! It's 72 out, NICE for Florida!

You know, they food industry, sure made breakfast so easy to go overboard on. All of those pretty candy colored donuts and muffins.....pop tarts and cereals. They made it so easy for us to just wake up, and you know how long it takes to 'get going' in the a.m., right? I for one, and NOT in the mood to cook first thing! To grab some muffins or donuts was a simple quick fix for having some food first thing. I'm glad I don't eat like that anymore. I sometimes miss it, but mentally, I don't. Best thing for breakfast to me? Dinner leftovers!! Who says you've gotta have eggs and bacon for breakfast, hahah? In fact, this a.m. I have some chicken curry leftover that I am going to eat. I must have an iron stomach to be able to 'stomach' curry for breakfast, hahahah
I am so lucky. DH makes the coffee in the a.m. and I have it with coconut oil, splenda and cream along with a delicious flax muffin that we both really enjoy. I am now adding Kerry Gold butter to the muffin to up my fat %.

Quote:
Oh yeah, forgot--this IS a NSV post-- I nearly forgot: latest NSV is being able to bend over to paint my toenails! As many of you know, I am legally blind, so 'seeing' what I'm doing has always been a challenge. My husband used to paint them for me. But now I can bend over enough to do it myself. In fact, I can even get my right leg up and onto my left knee and bend my foot with the help of my hand enough so I can really see what I'm doing. Not as flexible with the left side yet, to do it this way, but I'm working on it. Meanwhile, I can sit at my desk and bend down and do it this way, even if I slather a lot of paint on my skin, it'll come off soon enough after a nice shower! And then my toes look FABULOUS!! It's a pretty big victory for a woman to have pretty toes, ya know!!
I know about the toes--and buckles on shoes. DH didn't help with the toes but he had to buckle my shoes for me. If I tried I would press so hard on my stomach that I couldn't breathe. Now I can buckle my own. The toes are still a bit of a problem but doable. My belly is the last place I'm losing so it's still in the way.
  #114   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-14, 11:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169.2/137/149 Female 69inches
BF:
Progress: 159%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I climbed a mountain yesterday! That's something I never thought I could do back when I was lugging so much extra weight around.

YES!!YES!!!yes!!!!
  #115   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-14, 15:37

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAnn
I really got excited a few days ago when I put on a bra and hooked it on the last hook--until I realized it was the bra I had set aside a few weeks ago because it was too big!! What a let down!!

That's funny. I know I remember the tape being at 38 not too long ago,but it seems my bras ought to all be really loose now and they're just a little less snug.
  #116   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-14, 00:58
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 215/210/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 10%

I am still just off the starting line (about 3 weeks now of under 30 carbs - took a few weeks to work down to it) so I have no weight loss to post so any improvement is a NSV.

I would have to say that having to cinch in and snug up the bra straps was my first sign that something had changed. That and the complete cessation of IBS symptoms.

That right there was such a HUGE NSV it could keep me happy for a long time.

Now I am just waiting for my first actual "scale" victory, and life will be complete
  #117   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-14, 22:32

Congrats. Sounds like you're making muscle.
  #118   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-14, 12:15

Plan: Keto, gluten/nut-free
Stats: 245.8/179/149 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Another NSV - as posted above, not only was the dress I wore to conference much too big for me, but a while ago I bought I bought some size 16 jeans on sale and thought I should grab a size 14 for that price - well, now the size 14 is getting too loose on me and I need a belt to hold them up! LOL
  #119   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-14, 13:11
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I finally went through the huge stockpile of clothes that I have accumulated over the years. Always intending to lose the weight, I never threw away any clothes that I outgrew if they were still wearable. The closet and dresser were packed. I had boxes of clothes in the attic. And for the past few years, I've put my clothes on a multi-shelved rack that was 6' wide and 5 shelves high. In other words, my clothes were everywhere! It took a couple of days to get through it all and more than 3/4 of what I had no longer fits. I have no intentions of getting big again, so all that oversized stuff is now in the trash or in donation boxes. By the end of the year, 1/2 of what I have left won't fit anymore and I'll be running out of things to wear. I just may have to do some shopping. Anyway, now my bedroom does not look like my bedroom anymore. What am I going to do with all this space?

Last edited by khrussva : Tue, Sep-30-14 at 17:36.
  #120   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-14, 15:16

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Treat yourself to a big screen flat tv for that bedroom wall? Congrats on your success, and now you have lots of free room too, that's great!!