Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-05, 20:50

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Flax and Pumpkin Seed Crackers

I adapted this from
http://www.rawfoodsupport.com/read....i=12755&t=12755

And thought I would share it with you all. I have been experimenting trying to come up with something crunchy. I just found the Almond Thin recipe today and I will be trying that tomorrow, but this was my result today with this yummy ‘raw’ cracker.

Flax and Pumpkin Seed Crackers

1/2 cup brown flax seeds
1/2 cup golden flax seeds
2 cups water
3/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds

Mix both the brown and golden flax seeds together then add water and soak for 2 hours, after which add the pumpkin seeds in and soak for another 2 hours. It will be very gel like when done soaking. Drain in a paper towel lined colander (so you don’t lose seeds) for a minute or so to get rid of excess fluid. It should be moist and gel like, but you do not need the extra water so drain it out.

Line a large cookie sheet with wax paper and dump the mixture in the middle. Place another sheet of wax paper on top and roll out the mixture very thin. Take off the top sheet of wax paper and then sprinkle with a seasoning of your choice. I used Cajun; anything salty and spicy would be good!

Dry in the oven for about four hours at 150-180 degrees. I keep the oven door ajar and it works great. Keep an eye on it now and then and be sure oven is NOT too hot. You are drying the mix, not cooking.

When I pulled it out of the oven I found the top dried and the bottom a little wet so I turned it out on a cutting board, removed the wax paper and sliced into 2 inch squares using a pizza cutter, placed them on a microwave safe plate and nuked the pieces for about a minute in a half, but in 30 second intervals. It was just perfect, they turned out crunchy and tasted just like roasted pumpkin seeds.

I bought some Taramosolata which was very low in carbs (from Krinkos) that I love, but I was dying to have it on a cracker, not just a piece of celery. This was perfect.

Be sure not to over due them and drink plenty of water with them.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-05, 20:18

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%

Since I first made this I realized after a few batches that if you let it dry too long it sticks to the wax paper.

The next few batches I have sprayed pam on the wax paper and that seems to do the trick. I am going to buy some mylar sheets and see if they work better.

I like these crackers alot better than ANY other low carb cracker recipe, don't let the time factor discourage you, they are a snap to make. I think I will try them baked and see if that works instead of the drying process. Also the original recipe calls for pine nuts, but I like pumpkin better.

thanks,
Kellie
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-06, 02:13

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

that looks really good!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-06, 17:26

Plan: Lchf
Stats: 340/246/170 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 55%

I did raw for a good long while this past year.......flax crackers are great. I use a dehydrator to "cook" them.

1 c. flax seed
2 cups water.....let sit overnight till all water is absorbed.
Put in food processor with splenda and cinnamon for a sweet cracker....any flavorings.
or for a savory you could use herbs, veggies.......blend well.add water as needed to make a thin, gooey mixture.....spread on teflex sheets and dry, spreading with a wet hand till thin and even.

Makes a ton of thin, very crisp crackers.lc crackers.

Any questions please feel free to ask......or pm me~
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-06, 17:34
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

I'm lazy, but this recipe sounds a lot like some of the Dr.Kracker crackers available in a lot of natural food sections of grocery stores now. They are great! Just google for Dr. Kracker.

Kay
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-09, 16:11

Plan: Self
Stats: 229/215.5/175 Female 5ft7in
BF:
Progress: 25%

Did you say I could do this with pine nuts? I have a bag and I haven't been able to figure out what to do with them.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-09, 19:58

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:
Progress: 0%

Instead of wax paper, I'd imagine parchment paper would be better most likely as it has no wax on it to melt and is meant for the oven.