Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#2281   ^
Old Sat, May-11-19, 15:56

Plan: Carb Addicts
Stats: 175/154/135 Female 5 5'
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alene1
Hi Mary. That tea recipe sounds interesting. I'm trying to find something to drink between meals that doesn't cause cravings. I tried some passion tea yesterday, which is fruity, and it made me hungry. So, back to the drawing board. Maybe some plain tea with a squeeze of lemon would work for me. I get enough caffeine in my coffee. What part of Ireland do you live in? I loved my visit there and plan to go back!

Hi Alene & welcome!
I'm from the west of Ireland in County Mayo. Love it here and have no desire to go globe trotting at all.
If your coming back, i recommend you travel on the 'wild Atlantic Way' all along the north, west and south coasts.

I'm so envying you that your in the feeling free stage of following the plan.
There really is nothing like that peace and freedom.
Have been struggling to get past the first few days which are the hardest when starting over.
The 'hangry' stage: (hungry & angry) feels almost intolerable so i just give in and have a Carb to stave off the beast.
I've been exercising as well so i wonder is this affecting my appetite adversely; i suspect it does sometimes.

It's so worth it though to push through.

Last edited by maryh : Sat, May-11-19 at 16:13.
Sponsored Links
  #2282   ^
Old Sat, May-11-19, 16:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakr
I am happy without sweetener in my tea, but that sounds interesting, especially the bit of lemon. I do love a touch of citrus.

Hi Patricia; I've changed my mind about it now: Of course i have!
Had it the other day and it set me off feeling funny; a bit wired & not in a good way. I didn't use as much lemons; i think its best with 2 full lemons and 3 tsp. sweeteners.
think its better perhaps after the RM, not throughout the day when you don't have much in your stomach, which is what i did.
Think it would be the most recommended CALP/CAD way to have it with the RM,
It is worth trying though. I crave lemon based things. Usually cheesecake or lemon sorbet. That kind of thing.
Must brush up on my homework again.
Can't wait to start posting in an orderly fashion again.
  #2283   ^
Old Mon, May-13-19, 06:21

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Maryh, will enjoy seeing you post

Food plan for today:

breakfast cm was: 2 eggs with 1 mushroom - sautéed in 1.5 tsp. butter, 1 slice pepperjack cheese melted atop. 2 tbs. half and half with my coffee.
*note this is my choice to measure, and set a daily calorie limit, I simply do better on calp when I do.

lunch cm planned: 2 cm uncured beef hot dogs and 1 serving no-salt added green beans.

dinner planned: 1 cup boiled zucchini, 9 oz. of grass-fed T-bone, 8 oz. beer, 2 tbs. half and half in my coffee.
  #2284   ^
Old Mon, May-13-19, 07:22
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Mary, I will remember that when I go back to visit! I can imagine feeling very content there. Ireland was a place I really felt pulled to, and felt like I was coming home when I got there. I do have roots there and I think there's something to that.

Mary, do you think you're eating enough in your CM meals if you're getting hungry between them? Perhaps try bigger meals or more fat. I eat plenty of fat at each CM and it gets me through quite well to the next meal with minimal hunger. I think it would be worth it to give it a go to get you through those first 3 days or so and then you'd get into your sweet spot. Eat as much as you need to to stay satiated.

Like you Patricia, I have adapted the guidelines in one area too to make this a way of living that I can do forever. I include nuts and nut butters in my CM's to increase my satiety and enjoyment. I have switched over to the lowest carb of the nuts. It works for me and I enjoy my food very much! I think the extra fat really carries me between meals.

I'm feeling so good that I had a nice meal out Saturday night, a mother's day breakfast out with my kids yesterday, and my weight is 1.5 lbs. less today! Amazing! I just feel so good and feel amazingly thankful that I found this new way of living. I feel like a different person. Yesterday my food was:

RM: ham, green pepper and cheese scramble, sourdough toast w/butter, country potatoes, a few bites of a candy bar my DIL had brought me from Israel - we passed it around for all to try.

CM: 3 slices beef sausage, egg, celery w/peanut butter

CM: big salad w/diced chicken, Italian dressing, and sliced almonds

I hope you both have a great day!
  #2285   ^
Old Mon, May-13-19, 08:10

Alene, thank you - have a great day yourself!
  #2286   ^
Old Thu, May-16-19, 14:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alene1

Mary, do you think you're eating enough in your CM meals if you're getting hungry between them? Perhaps try bigger meals or more fat. I eat plenty of fat at each CM and it gets me through quite well to the next meal with minimal hunger. I think it would be worth it to give it a go to get you through those first 3 days or so and then you'd get into your sweet spot. Eat as much as you need to to stay satiated.

That's a great suggestion Thank you Alene. Am not exactly on plan though but i will definitely take it on board when i do make renewed efforts to make the CAD work.

For now i'm just concentrating on abstinence from some of the more 'addictive' carbs, trying to stay low carb, exercise and watch my calories.

I'm delighted your feeling so good on this plan; it does make the biggest difference. It's the only plan i really believe in.

Hope you are all having a good week.
  #2287   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-19, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryh
That's a great suggestion Thank you Alene. Am not exactly on plan though but i will definitely take it on board when i do make renewed efforts to make the CAD work.

For now i'm just concentrating on abstinence from some of the more 'addictive' carbs, trying to stay low carb, exercise and watch my calories.

I'm delighted your feeling so good on this plan; it does make the biggest difference. It's the only plan i really believe in.

Hope you are all having a good week.

Just waving at you as I zip in for a quick check. Not on plan, lots of thinking about my life going on, but also not binging and having some cm meals. That's just where I am at.
  #2288   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-19, 20:35

BF:

Hope the life contemplation goes well Patricia and that it entails good times too.
If not, hope there are lots of good people around you for support. It sure isn't easy.

Think I'm finally coming out the other side of processing a 10 year old trauma i had been in denial of. It was awful turbulent & painful although
confronting the hard things is a healthy sign..overall i suppose when i consider then and now.
Can only have hope that God can bring good out of all of it.

I've one foot on plan...one foot off plan..
Yesterday looked like this:
Started the day with a CM Breakfast; omelette w/ 1 cup of roasted veg, cheese, green tea.
low Carb snack: More cheese & nuts. (I want to incorporate a proper CM lunch/snack eventually, but my appetite is v. strange at times)
RM Dinner: A healthier version of fish and chips which i really loved. It was an 'operation transformation' one. Finding recipes that i actually love & is satisfying is everything and so long as i'm doing that i'm happy.
Strawberry & 1/3 cup of ice-cream for desert, 1 square of dark mint chocolate w/ cup of tea.

Exercise,
Low Carb Snack: Raspberry Quark (Kvarg) (17g protein, <5g carb) w/ 1/3 Banana, a few strawberries and a dash of 'choc shot' syrup.

So definitely not perfect but always with my eye on the CAD lifestyle as the ultimate standard.

Thanks for popping in and letting us know where you are at.

Last edited by maryh : Wed, Jun-05-19 at 20:43.
  #2289   ^
Old Sun, Jul-14-19, 15:32
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi-

tomorrow, 7/15/19, is my 16 year anniversary of starting CALP. It has been a wonderful 16 years. I did the first 6 months or so before I found this site and this community. I actively posted for 15 years, and in this last year I have not posted much and haven't been on the site a lot. I am still on CALP, and have actually lost weight this year (but I'm not changing my numbers on the site). I'm going to repost my 10 year anniversary post. It still is as true today as it was then. It's my way of stopping by, saying hi, and hopefully giving support to members who are still looking to this WOL to help change their lives. I know it changed mine! My health and quality of life has been improved so many ways by doing LC. I've had time to reflect on what has made me so successful in maintaining my weight loss on this WOL- and I come down to the following. First- I picked a plan that I could do and one that fit into my life- I could be LC and still cook and enjoy restaurants and eat dinner with my husband, family and friends. Second- I did LC for my health and focused on the immediate and long term gains in my heath. I knew this was for life- for the long haul. And finally and perhaps most importantly- I never go off my plan. I never take a holiday or or a cheat day or a stress day off plan. I always find a way to stay OP- even if I have to be flexible or have more carbs in a day then usual or have to feel a bit deprived for a while. And I have had lots and lots of stress and lots and lots of celebrations in the last 16 years. I just always stay OP. And I think that's the secret to maintaining- this is how you eat. Period. And I plan to continue to stay on low carb- even though I'm not posting here.
Be kind to each other and be kind to yourselves-
Wishing you all health, happiness and peace.
E

From 7/14/2013
hi-
tomorrow is my 10th 'planiversary' on CALP/CAHHP. I can't believe it has been 10 years! I'm going to mark the occasion by talking a bit about my experiences, and how things are for me now.

I found LC as a direct response to my continued worsening cholesterol and CRP tests. The straw that broke the camel's back was the "off the scale" CRP I had in the winter of 2003. My (then) MD wanted me to eat lower fat (Pritikin levels), double or triple my statins, and go off estrogen. He basically accused me of lying to him about my eating, saying no one who ate as low fat as I did could continue to see rising lipids.
I went home scared and angry. I had been eating low fat, and lower fat, for at least 15 years. I drank the low fat coolaide- believed it all. I said to my DH- if what I am doing is not working I can do it harder or do something different. I then started researching LC, starting with Atkins, Eades, Heller, Schwartzbein, Agatston and more. I remember telling my DH that I KNEW I was insulin resistant and had metabolic syndrome- and that was why I was fat (and getting fatter every year) and my lipids were so bad. I told him that while my kids were not home that summer, I was going to do LC. I asked him to support me and he did.
I chose CALP/CAHHP because it would fit my lifestyle and my personality. I hate measuring or weighing, I like eating and cooking unprocessed foods, and I value eating dinner as a family and going out with friends.
After 2 weeks on CALP it was a miracle. I felt "NORMAL" for the first time in 15 years. Then the weight began to melt off- like magic. And I felt great- lots of energy. Then my skin cleared up, my swollen ankles cleared up, my sleep got better- just everything felt better.
I lost the first 20 lbs by the end of August- and went to a new MD! He told me to keep doing what I was doing- but that my cholesterol was genetic.
I lost 30 lbs by December. I stayed on plan, because I felt great and I knew this was for life.
I started losing again that spring, and lost another 25 or so pounds. Plus my liver enzymes normalized (no more NASH for me!) and my CRP started going down while my trigylcerides were normal for the first time ever.
Since then I have stayed OP. I balance my RM, but admit I eat more carbs at RM now than that first year or two. It is my new normal- and I think I look better today than I did before starting CALP that July 2003.
I will always have the underlying metabolic issues, which eating LC manages. I believe I am insulin sensitive now, and also believe that a few days off plan will push me back to insulin resistance. So I STAY ON PLAN.
The people who I have met on this site, and the amazing wealth of info and resources about LC, has been incredibly important to me. Thank you!
I thank God everyday that I found LC, found CALP, and have been able to heal my life.
E
  #2290   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-19, 05:10
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/carb cycle/IF
Stats: 226/213/160 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Eno, thank you so much for checking in, reposting your 10-year anniversary post, and updating with your 16-year post. All you have said is so very helpful. You're missed!
Sharon
  #2291   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-19, 16:01
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 200/200/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi,
I was on the board back in 2011 I think. I was doing a general low carb diet. Sadly, I did not stick with it. I had another baby, moved to a new state, went back to work full time, lost my Dad, and lost my Grandpa. Life got in the way. I have reached 200 pounds and I am so disappointed. I picked up the Heller's first book at the library last weekend. I don't know...it seems too good to be true, but I am going to give it a try.
  #2292   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-19, 04:35
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/carb cycle/IF
Stats: 226/213/160 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

LadyJ, I believe you'll do well with CAD, as long as you don't look at your RM (reward meal) as a binge-fest. Keep it balanced and allow yourself the treat...and then stop. Good luck!
Sharon
  #2293   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-19, 04:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaydJ
Hi,
I was on the board back in 2011 I think. I was doing a general low carb diet. Sadly, I did not stick with it. I had another baby, moved to a new state, went back to work full time, lost my Dad, and lost my Grandpa. Life got in the way. I have reached 200 pounds and I am so disappointed. I picked up the Heller's first book at the library last weekend. I don't know...it seems too good to be true, but I am going to give it a try.

I never did cad, but adore calp (with for me, a daily calorie limit to help me portion control).
I am currently not on plan, but wanted to stop in to recommend you try reading that book by the Heller's as well. It is common sense, wonderful, simple, and works. I lost a huge amount of weight using calp (and the calorie limit) just a few years ago. Did not regain all, but have work to do. Much on my plate (hah) at the moment, will get back to it.
best wishes to you. My other advice - protein bullets (as someone from a list run by the Hellers used to say). Kill cravings with those as you settle in to being on plan.
  #2294   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-19, 07:52

Waves Hi to Maryh. Back - see my journal for update.
  #2295   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-19, 18:26

BF:

Hi Patricia; You know i'm never far away..

Lovely to read Eno's witness once more and long term success on the CALP.
Just so encouraging.

My only CAD success to report is that on one single day of late; i ate a CM breakfast of pancakes, cream cheese and flaxseed and
somehow miraculously found the will power to decline an ice-cream cone later that day. Totally unheard of for me.
I know eating this way is the safest and most successful way long term.

I have started running and actually sprinting along the side of the road. I probably look
like a crazy person who should be locked up
but it's just essential to release the raging storm within these days.
Have been generally good with exercise...diet not so much.
I find being outside in nature & getting fresh air really healing.

I'm still too unsettled to knuckle down to the plan.
I've become awful picky and am just 'off' foods i used to like.
The latest recipes I've loved is 'Porridge Bread' and 'Vegetable Lasagne' but with butternut squash instead of celery. (Operation transformation recipes)
I've been missing that bread for all my life as its completely non bloating and filling too as it had good protein content unlike other bread.
Highly recommend.
Regardless, whenever i do decide to get back on plan, next time i feel i will be more equipped with the basics to endure better as i have increased my cooking skills and also i'm finally going to take the mature approach of a slow weight loss each week.

I'm going to do this by calculating a conservative calorie deficit and balancing the macros and recalculating every 10 pound of weight loss.
In the past i think i went slightly too restrictive and too impatient also.
( I can share the mathematical formula if anyone is interested; otherwise i won't bore anyone with the details! )

Hope you all have a good week.