Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 13:09

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 209/136/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 106%

Okay peoples now let me ask you this.. and be honest..hehe (I don't bite).. I would like to know why it is that when it comes to walking outdoors why we use the weather as an excuse to walk or not walk??? Okay when the weather is nice we do walk outdoors but why must we use the rain as for not walking outdoors??? I can see if we have a major lightening storm then it's the obvious.. But if we have a little rain why not go out.. A rainsuit will protect ya..teehee.. Even in the winter.. Why use the winter as an excuse for not walking..Extra layers of clothes will keep you warm. I'm sure sidewalks are cleared of snow??? Okay okay so some of you live in the country and it's not possible. teehee.. I've walked most days this winter and I live in ONTARIO>. where we receive LOTS of snow.. but I still managed my walks...when it rains I carry an umbrella...When it's cold extra layers.. So please tell me why??? LOL.. Put you on the spot??? But think about it...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 13:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Not sure who this is directed too....but I know I haven't a problem in walking in any kind of weather.

Wendy

#3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 14:10
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile walking

I love walking and hiking, and hate the fact that the cold weather causes my fibromyalgia to flare so badly, just getting around the house is an incredible task. I am noticing a gradual increase in energy levels with Spring arriving, and have resumed more outdoor activity. I can usually look forward to 4, maybe 6 weeks nearly symptom-free in the summer. Can't wait!!

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is another problem some of us members experience, and it is very real. Yes, exercise is beneficial for boosting the mood and whatnot, but it's hard to muster up the energy to do more than one's job and the usual household tasks ... then collapse.

I know what you mean about the rain..... actually, I don't mind warm rain, if it's light. Don't enjoy it when the wind's so bad, yer umbrella folds inside out ..

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 14:51

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Guess I can't use the "I'm sugar and I might melt" line here!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 19:12

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 209/136/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 106%

I'm a fibromyalgia sufferer as well and yes indeed the cold does affect ones energy and causes lots of pain. Actually it's the chronic fatigue that saps my energy more.. But I find if I'm more and more on the go with my walking I tend to forget about it. As for depression.. I'm borderline manic depressive and has found that walking and this low carbing have played a big major role in getting off my medication. So I guess it does have it's pros and it's cons.. But remember peoples and I will leave you with this thought WE ARE NOT MADE OF SUGAR WE WILL NOT MELT..LOL..Although sometimes I think that would be an easier and faster way to lose the weight.. ROFLMAO Oh and by the way??? That ealier posting wasn't made at anyone directly.. It was just something I thought of today. hehe
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 19:17

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Not to worry I use to be a postie so one walked five hours a day five days a week...didn't matter what the weather was, one had to do it....So me thinks, if I can do it..so can everyone else.

Again, with the pmsing....help.....and I take vitamins and rosemary for this sypmtom....grrrrrr

Wendy
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 19:27
Forum Founder

BF:
Smile not to worry Joanne

Hey there, not to worry sweetie. It's a good question, and makes people think. Everyone is different, and we all try the best we can.

Thanks for sharing about the fibro. and the bipolar disorder... .. I've posted more than a few articles and discussions and links re - lowcarbing and fibro, CFIDS, SAD, depression, etc...... meds........ down in the Health Issues forum. There's a lot of evidence that eliminating refined carbs, and keeping blood sugar and insulin levels stable is beneficial to these conditions. By the way, did you hear that Allan Rock, Minister of Health, recently passed a bill that officially recognises Fibromyalgia and Myalgic Encephalitis (formerly called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) as standard diagnoses, with standardized treatments, as per the World Health Organization??? It's no longer "just in our heads" and the families and friends and doctors who tell us differently can kiss my asthma!!

Doreen

Oh, and about sugar melting in the rain..... just had a thought ... imagine if you will, a bowl of granular Splenda. Now, think about what would happen if a few raindrops fell in ... .... POOOOFF! fizzzzz..... **LOL**
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 21:49
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default It's All in Your Mind

Regarding the walking thing...

When you are do something because it's "good" for you or you "have" to, I think you'll use any excuse to get out of it. When, because of a change of attitude, an activity becomes pleasureable, we wouldn't miss it for anything.

Most activities involve using your torso, arms, legs and moving your head. You may not like washing the dishes, but you enjoy sex. They're both activities. Now for some, sex may seem like washing the dishes.

It's all about your attitude towards it.

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-01, 22:36

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default At the risk of sounding like a wuss.....

OK, maybe it's an excuse. But rain is WET!!! I live near the ocean and rain is often accompanied by a strong wind - hard to hold an umbrella without constantly fighting with it - can't stay dry under it anyway, because rain comes in sideways - hands get cold and slippery. Why not wear a hood? Glasses get wet and I can't see. Feet soak through, no matter how I waterproof my shoes. Pant legs soak through. My supposedly waterproof raincoat soaks through. It is NOT pleasant! It may be just me, but I don't like walking in the rain because it's so often acutely uncomfortable.

Besides, rain depresses me.

Rachel
who lives in Vancouver and hates rain
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-01, 08:21

Plan: modified Dr. A
Stats: 214.5/214.5/150 Male 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool

Why not walk in a mall during inclement weather
Joe
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-01, 09:42

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Question Malls....

That might be a good idea for some, especially those with health problems that make walking on uneven terrain difficult (I'm thinking of my mom and stepdad). A walk in the mall once a day or so would do them a world of good, but try and tell them....

Wouldn't work for me. The nearest mall big enough to actually walk in is 1/2 hour's walk away (just walk there and back, now THERE's an idea!) and besides I hate malls anyway. Artificial lights....claustrophobia....other people......fake air......tacky stuff to look at......great stuff I can't stop looking at......

So the next question is: treadmill anyone?

Rachel
who wants to live somewhere where it's sunny ALL the time, and wouldn't get bored with it, not even a little bit
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-01, 11:34

Plan:
Stats: 145/135/120
BF:
Progress:
Wink RAIN DRAIN

AS A VANCOUVER ISLAND GIRL, THERE IS A LOT OF RAINED OUT WALKS FOR ME. FIRST OFF, IT GETS YOUR DOUGHNUTS ALL SOGGY JUST JOKING HONEST. ANYWAY MY EXCUSE/REASON IS MOST OF MY WALKING TRAILS BECOME VERY SLIPPERY AND MUDDY. I HAVE SLIPPED A FEW TIMES AND IT WAS LESS THAN ENJOYABLE. STAIR STEPPER COMES IN TO PLAY THEN. YES, A NICE GENTLE RAIN IS OKAY, BUT THEY ARE SELDOM THAT WAY ON THE WEST COAST. WALK ON
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-01, 12:38

Plan: Low Carb Whatever?
Stats: 263/230/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I am one of those souls that just dislikes walking for the sake of walking I need to have a reason and a destination. I think it has to do with my warped thinking that for me it is a waste of my time. I even got a dog hoping that she would inspire me to walk. No luck!!! However, when I do go out, I do love to walk in the rain, which is never more than a drizzle here in Alberta.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-01, 17:11
lizzy38

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Just A Walking In The Rain

Well everyone I actually enjoyed reading all about walking in the rain. I too hate walking in the rain and it actually depressess me. So I decided that there is no sugar daddy out there that is going to buy me my own treadmill lol, so off I have gone to the centre here in Langley an used the treadmill which I love even better then going for walks. Every other day I do some weight bearing excercise for my osteo as I already had one knee replacement and I sure want to keep the other knee intact and strong. I do walk with my dogs quite a lot but I really enjoy walking with someone for company cause the time seems to pass quickly and before you know it you've walked at least 5 to 8 kilometers. With my asthma sometimes thoughs dog darn hills can slow me down a bit. I'm not losing any weight right now but I guess the prednisone may be the culprit.

P.S. Want to wish everyone a HAPPY EASTER and please enjoy your long weekend.

Lizzy
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-13-01, 10:49
Forum Founder

BF:
Cool walking

Besides being terrific exercise, walking is also a great way to help out worthwhile causes in your community. Now that warmer weather seems to be here (well, maybe not in Nfld .. ) there's plenty of charity walkathons happening everywhere. Help yourself and others -- grab a pledge sheet, don the walking shoes, and raise a little money as well as yer heart rate ...

Lizzy, Happy Easter to you too, and everyone. Have a peaceful and enjoyable weekend.

Doreen