Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 06:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/135/128
BF:
Progress: 53%
Unhappy Help Ladies!

I've been on induction for three weeks, probably only getting 12-15 carbs a day. Anyway, the first two weeks I had lost a total of 8 pounds. Today I got on the scale for my weekly weigh in and I've gained two! I'm probably in pre-menapause as my monthly is at least 1 1/2 week late at this point. Could this be the weight gain? I swear I've stuck to it religiously but I can tell my clothing is a little tighter, not loser.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 06:53
Registered Member

Stats: 225/215/130
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hang in there, it WILL work!!

Mary H.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 07:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 138/122/120 Female 5.4 1/2 small frame
BF:23%/23%/?
Progress: 89%

8 POUNDS in TWO WEEKS! That's fanastic!

I doubt the 2 pounds is weight gain - sounds like your body is simply adjusting... it's probably just TOM...

I've read consistently throughout this forum that as we continue to lose weight the rate of loss slowes down to a "healthy" loss i.e., 1 pound or less per week. Therefore, you're more likely to keep the weight off.

Hang in there! viv
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 08:32

Stats: 236.5/223/120
BF:
Progress: 12%
Cool

Sounds like good old TOM to me.
It's probably water retention and will drop off once you start.

Personally, I think TOM is the universe's practical joke on women. But then again, guys get to go bald. LOL.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 08:47

Stats: 153/139/120
BF:
Progress: 42%

I'm really re-gearing my thinking so that I keep water weight loss/gain in mind. If we don't keep in mind just how much that can fluctuate, we're bound to be dissapointed. I lost 8 lbs. after my first 4 days on the plan, but I know that probably 5 of it was water. And, I know that whether it's TOM, or a small indulgence, or some other factor, at SOME point that 5 lbs of water is going to come back! So go really easy on yourself, psyche your head out for what water can do so that you are not totally guaging everything by what the scale says. Take measurements once a week and ditch the scale for a while if that helps you. Too often we see an increase in numbers on the scale (also called a "gain" . and we get so dejected that we throw the towel in and go for a binge. Best!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 12:54
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

This happened to me just 3 weeks ago. I hadn't gained or lost pounds but my clothes were tighter. However, it turned out i got knocked up!

SOunds to me in your case it is water retention due to TOM though.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 14:31

Stats: 153/139/120
BF:
Progress: 42%

[QUOTE]Originally posted by atiaran

However, it turned out i got knocked up!

Funny!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 15:39
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Boy oh boy...some of us gain 5 to 7 pounds because of TOM and other female/hormone associated lovelies!!

Just hang in there and keep to your plan...eventually you'll meet the Whoosh Fairy

#9   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 15:04

BF:
Angry Me Again

Never really had a monthly this time and what I did have was 13 days late. I feel really bloated and the pants that fit me nicely after my initial weight loss are tight all over - legs too! I feel like a stuffed sausage. I swear I've stuck with this program religiously and instead if shrinking, I'm going the other day. It's really hard not to get discouraged. I only weigh once a week but I'm afraid to do it this week as I know I've gained - not lost! I've been on induction since the day after Easter. Is this normal?? Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 15:10
Registered Member

Stats: 165/159/150 Female 68
BF:26% / 26% / 21%
Progress: 40%

Keep it going! I too am not losing each week, but I am noticing how my clothes are hanging! Are you perhaps constipated and retaining water?

I have been taking 3 flaxseed, omega & borage oil pills (all three oils combined in one pill) every day. I take one first thing in the morning and the other two with my vitamins and other suppliments. It keeps things moving if you know what I mean! Drink enough water also!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 15:31

Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%
Talking

I lost 6lb in my first week and 0 in my second and third then 4 in the 4th! We vary and fluctuate so don't stress over it. I shall continue to eat this way and if the pounds drop then they drop. I sure LOOK an awful lot better!

Oh and yes, I felt very bloated the second week but then it went away again.

Hang in there, you'll be fine!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 13:26

BF:
Default Could I Be Bulking Up?

I've been doing Eight Minute Buns and Eight Minute Thighs in addition to sticking reliously to Atkin's Induction (see previous post from me on this thread). A friend suggested this may be bulking my legs up. Since there's no weights involved I don't see how this could happen from the exercise and I don't want to stop after putting a month into the workout. Any thoughts?
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 14:47
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Yes you can bulk up. Atkins increases muscle mass just by getting adequete protein in your diet. You might be gaining muscle mass faster than you are losing fat which would account for your experience. Just keep going and it will come off. Plus, some exercises will build muscle whether you use weights or not and healing muscle holds onto water.

I ALWAYS gain 3 pounds before my TOM. I can count on that like clockwork.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 10:04

BF:
Default Thank You!!

...for the great advise - I've been really wondering what's going on and losing a bit of faith. Now that I think about it, I started doing the tapes daily a couple of weeks ago - right in line with the negative body change I am seeing.

Do you suggest I cut back or quit this particular type of exercise??

Thanks a bunch!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 13:03
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Don't quit the exercise! It has many benefits including reshaping your body. You won't just be a smaller version of you, you will be a whole new you.

I know how frustrating it is to not see the scale move or it moves in the wrong direction-but just hold on. I bet you are shrinking no matter what the scale says. That will eventually catch up with your losses and you will get a visit from the whoosh fairy.