Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-08, 06:48

Plan: paleo
Stats: 210/200/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 17%

I don't have time to bake alot, but I found a pretty good website to order some things. Not totally Paleo, but gluten free.
The blueberry muffin, pancake and chocolate chip cookie are my favorites that I save for special occasions. check out www.authenticfoods.com Let me know what you think!
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-08, 16:16
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss
Also - check out this wonderful blog, "Healthy Indulgences" - it's all low-carb, and it's gluten free. Plus, she takes the time to provide dairy-free alternatives in her recipes as well. It's a beautiful blog.

http://healthyindulgences.blogspot.com/

She posts here as 'lcstudent' and some of her photos of her recipes are in the recipes/food section of the gallery on here.

Thanks, Citruskiss! I always think of you when I try to tweak recipes to be dairy-free.

Here are some chocolate chip cookies I made for my blog. 'Spose you could use cacao nibs instead of chocolate to make it more paleo. You need to use another sweetener besides stevia to make these sweet enough. Erythritol is natural enough for me. It doesn't have carbs like honey, agave, etc. so I use it.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

Makes about 18 large cookies

Ingredients:
-1/2 cup unsalted organic butter OR coconut oil
-2 cage-free organic eggs
-3/4 cup erythritol (use whatever sweetener you like)
-1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
-2 cups blanched almond flour
-1 teaspoon baking powder (don't have to use this)
-1 teaspoon organic blackstrap molasses (not necessary for drop cookies)
-1/4 teaspoon sea salt
-1/2 teaspoon pure stevia extract
-1 teaspoon xanthan gum (necessary if you use erythritol)
-4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
-1 heaping cup homemade chocolate chunks OR chocolate disks with 73 % cacao, such as El Rey or Dagoba (or your preferred low carb chocolate)
-1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Powder erythritol with sea salt in coffee grinder or magic bullet (use the flat blade). Melt butter or oil in mixing bowl with the microwave, using 15 second intervals. Whisk in eggs and vanilla. Whisk in erythritol, sea salt, stevia extract, and blackstrap molasses. Pulse coconut flakes into a powder in magic bullet, if desired. Mix the rest of the dry ingredients together and stir into wet ingredients, adding nuts and chocolate chunks after the dough comes together. Shape dough into balls and squish on an ungreased cookie sheet with the clean bottom of glass--these cookies will not spread. If you are making the drop cookies, press chocolate drops into the tops of your cookie dough rounds, smoothing the edges with your fingertips if they crack.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, until light brown around the edges. Let cool completely on the cookie sheet, then remove from the pan and store in an airtight tupperware container. Nuke in the microwave before consuming for maximum enjoyment and gooeyness! Serve with unsweetened almond milk, flavored with a touch of stevia.

~3 grams net carbs per big cookie! (with homemade chocolate chunks)

Last edited by lcstudent : Sat, Sep-13-08 at 17:17.
  #123   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-08, 16:28
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wow, so pretty!
  #124   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-08, 18:09
Registered Member

Plan: Paleolithic
Stats: 240/137/130 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

Ok, I've been experimenting lately for my daughters up and coming birthday (I'm going to make a gf/healthier cake for her b-day) and I made this pumpkin cake today-Oh my, heaven!

3 extra large organic free-range eggs
1 cup organic light brown sugar, 3/4 cup agave nectar (you could play with artificial sweetener here, but baking for kids I went for it)
1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
1 15-oz can cooked pumpkin (or two cups of fresh cooked pumpkin)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup almond flour, 1 cup sorghum flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 10 x 13" baking pan with greased foil or parchment.

Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl till light and frothy; add the brown sugar, beat till smooth; add the oil, pumpkin, and vanilla; beat to combine.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (the GF flour mix through sea salt). Add the dry ingredients into the wet mixture a little at a time and beat to combine- for two minutes.

Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes, or until the cake is firm and a wooden pick inserted into the center emerges clean.

I frosted with a vanilla spice frosting that most definitely was not paleo, but was oh so good and this is for a bday party of little girls after all
Overall much healthier than aything they would get in a grocery store and best of all gluten free (for the gluten sensitive one sitting here)
My house smells divine
I got the idea from karina's kitchen, and modified from there
Becky
  #125   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 12:41
Experimenter

BF:

Ok, how about these? They're my egg crepes with blackberries. A staple in my diet these days:

Quote:
2 Eggs
1 non-stick pan
Cooking oil
Frozen or fresh berries
[optional] A bit of sweetener, I use liquid splenda.
Butter

In a small non-stick pan I add some cooking oil and let it get hot.

The berries are easy. If they're frozen, pop them into the microwave for 30-45 seconds until they're heated and juicy. Add in sweetener and mix.

Meanwhile I break 2 eggs into a bowl and add a few Tablespoons of water, to thin the egg. I beat it very well with a fork. Then pour enough egg into the pan to just cover the bottom. I let it cook until fairly well set-up. Flip it over and just let it cook for a few seconds on the other side. Flip onto your plate and top with butter and berries.
  #126   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 14:40

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:

Looks delish Nancy.
  #127   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 15:59
LCing for health!

BF:

Yummy! I can never get 'em to flip right and stay intact, though!
  #128   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 16:57

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~centa*of*
Wheat, sugar and Dairy free XMAS PUDDING

Ingredients:

2 Oranges
200g Almond Meal
3 Tsp Spice
750g of mixed dried fruits
6 Eggs

Method:

1. Boil oranges in water for 2 hours. Ensure water doesn't boil dry by adding fresh boiling water from the kettle as it gets low. Allow to cool before removing from water.
2. Slice ends of orange and remove seeds.
3. Blend remaining part of the whole oranges (including peel).
4. Add Almond Meal, Spice and Eggs, blend until cake like consistency.
5. Stir through dried fruits into the mixture using a wooden spoon.
6. Pour mixture into a greased metal bowl. Cover bowl with aluminum foil and tie off with string.
7. In a large pot (large enough to hold the metal bowl with cake in it), place an inverted saucer (this keeps the metal bowl off the bottom). Then place the metal bowl (with cake) on top of the saucer. Fill pot with water until it comes up to 3/4 off the metal bowl. Cover with lid.
8. Boil for 5-8 hours ensuring to add boiling water as it gets low. I found boiling it for 5 hours and then letting it cool before boiling it for another 2-3 hours the next day works well...

I just made this today. The oranges were quite small so I used 3, plus I was a little short on almond meal, so I added 2 heaped table spoons of shredded coconut to bulk it out, but it came out well (if very orangey!). I'll definitely make this again (I'll just make sure to have the right ingredients next time!

Thank you for the great recipe. I'll also try the muffins sometime soon.
  #129   ^
Old Sat, Sep-27-08, 17:52
LCing for health!

BF:

Made these muffins today. If you don't like olive oil, you could use a nut oil, but you'll miss out on the awesome flavor EVOO imparts.

Berry Crunch Top Muffins

Makes 12 muffins

Ingredients:
2 cups blanched almond flour
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 cage-free organic eggs
1/2 cup erythritol or preferred sugar-free sweetener
1/2 teaspoon pure NuNaturals stevia extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1/8 cup lemon juice
1/8 cup lite coconut milk
1 cup blueberries or raspberries
oat flour, for dusting (optional)

For Crunch Topping (optional):
2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated shortening or unsalted butter
2 tablespoons coconut milk
1/2 cup blanched almond flour
2 tablespoons golden flax meal
2 tablespoons erythritol
1/4 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon stevia extract

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Mash together the ingredients for the topping with a fork, then stick it in the freezer while you make the muffins. Whisk together wet ingredients plus the erythritol in one bowl. Stir together the dry ingredients in a different bowl. Add the wet to the dry ingredients, whisking until incorporated. Coat berries with a light dusting of oat flour (to keep them from sinking), and gently fold 3/4 of them into the batter. Fill muffin cups 3/4 of the way full, and sprinkle remaining berries over the tops. Pinch off bits of the cold topping, dropping them over the tops of the muffins. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Let cool until lukewarm, then turn muffins out of the silicone muffin cups (if using) so the tops are facing down. After completely cooled, store in baggies or tupperware with paper towels.

#130   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-08, 03:12

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%
Default Baked coconut custard

I made this recipe last night and it came out very well.
http://thai-laos-food.blogspot.com/...rd-dessert.html

I halved the amount of sugar as I thought it would be too sweet and then substituted with splenda as I don't have stevia. The sweetness was about right, to my taste.

You could also use honey as I have seen recipes for this using honey.

(I wasn't sure whether to put this on baking or on ordinary recipes)
  #131   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 10:45

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcstudent
Yummy! I can never get 'em to flip right and stay intact, though!

Slide it onto a plate and then flip the plate over the skillet. Otherwise, finish 'em under the broiler.
  #132   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 11:00
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Bringing up this thread again...

Nancy - how do you make that flourless chocolate espresso berry cake thing you describe awhile back in the thread?

I'm on the hunt for a good cake to make for a wedding shower that I'm having here at the house in about two and a half weeks. Would prefer to avoid gluten/dairy. Else I'd just make a g/f cheesecake or something. I might still do that, and just not eat any of it myself...

But chocolate/espresso/berry sure sounds good! Sounds very elegant too, suitable for a bridal shower.

Anyone else have recommendations for a really pretty GF/CF 'cake' ?

Last edited by Citruskiss : Thu, Mar-19-09 at 11:11.
  #133   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 11:07
Experimenter

BF:
Default Flourless Chocolate Espresso Cake with Raspberry Sauce

You must mean this one: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...berry-Sauce-754

I think I used erythritol instead of sugar but didn't add much because I used semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of unsweetened chocolate. As always you have to be careful using splenda with chocolate because they just don't synergize well.

I'd be really scared to use sugar free chocolate because I never have good results trying to mix all non-caloric sweeteners with things that have a lot of chocolate.

Last edited by Kristine : Mon, Jul-07-14 at 12:36.
  #134   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-09, 11:11
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Thanks very much Nancy! I'll have to investigate/decide if it's going to be 'sugar free' or not - I'm mainly trying to find a way to have a really nice cake here that doesn't contain gluten. Whether or not I eat any of it is still up for debate.

Printing off that recipe - the reviews look great. Thanks again

eta: this looks *near perfect* for a bridal shower, and it's gluten free - thank you!!!

Last edited by Citruskiss : Thu, Mar-19-09 at 11:27.
  #135   ^
Old Sun, Mar-22-09, 10:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 134/114.4/100 Female 152cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

I found this recipe on the Observer website by Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall - if the sugar is scrapped it seems like it could be pretty Paleo friendly. The reason I was interested is because it contains no egg (which I'm allergic to):
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandst...y-whittingstall

Castagnaccio

This traditional Ligurian cake contains no gluten or raising agent, so it won't rise like a traditional cake. Instead, it's dense and rich without being too sweet. You can buy organic chestnut flour from shipton-mill.com (£3 for 500g).

5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
25g sultanas
400g chestnut flour
60g caster sugar
A pinch of sea salt
Zest of an orange
30g pine nuts
1 good pinch fresh rosemary leaves

Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/ gas mark 2. Brush a 22cm springform cake tin (or similar) with some of the oil. Soak the sultanas in hot water for about 10 minutes, so they plump up while you prepare everything else.

Sieve the flour into a large bowl and whisk in the sugar, salt, zest and about 400ml of water. Stir until you have a smooth batter, then add the rest of the olive oil, beating as you add it. Pour the mixture into the tin, scatter over the pine nuts, sultanas (drained and dried) and rosemary, and bake for about 45 minutes.