Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-14, 18:15

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%
Default The famous WHO graph

A while back, when Dr. Perlmutter was doing interviews to promote "Grain Brain," I participated in a spirited online discussion about his ideas and the sources he used to support his ideas. One particular comment I made was this:

Quote:
A WHO study shows a U-shaped curve for all-cause mortality when plotted against total cholesterol, except for those over 50 (http://tinyurl.com/ptkrlll). I'm a bit skeptical of the accuracy of your LDL number, since the Friedwald equation used to calculate LDL is known to be inaccurate when triglycerides dip below 100. In any event, the evidence for cholesterol being any kind of marker for cardiovascular disease is quite flawed.

Just yesterday, I received a reply to this comment:
Quote:
That curve comes from http://renegadewellness.files.wordp...ality-chart.pdf

The author says the data are derived from WHO studies, but the graph itself and the analysis are not themselves WHO materials, nor has this report been published in any peer-reviewed scientific journal.

But even supposing that the author has correctly redrawn his graph from proper data, it's still meaningless. These are not *individual-level* data, but data for entire countries. The Japanese as a country, smoke more than Americans do as a country, but get less lung cancer: that doesn't mean that smoking doesn't cause lung cancer. To find the link, you have to look at *individual* smoking habits and *individual* cancer outcomes. Similarly, to see the relationship between total (or LDL, or HDL) cholesterol and mortality, you have too look at the *individual* levels of these lipoproteins, and their *individual* ages at death. And, you should adjust for different confounders, such as blood pressure, exercise, and diet.

A meta-analysis of such individual-level data, following a total of "almost 900,000 adults without previous disease and with baseline measurements of total cholesterol and blood pressure" and with more than 55,000 vascular deaths (heart attacks, strokes, etc), found that for every 1 mmol/L [that is, 38.6 mg/dL] that a person's total cholesterol was lower, their risk of death from heart disease was reduced about a half if they were at ages 40-49 (hazard ratio 0.44 [95% CI 0.42-0.48]); reduced by about a third (0.66 [0.65-0.68]) at ages 50-69, and by a sixth (0.83 [0.81-0.85]) at ages 70-89 years, with no apparent threshold; the ratio total/HDL cholesterol ratio gave even stronger predictive effect.

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retr...6736(07)61778-4

Naturally, the effect of any one risk factor becomes weaker as you age, because the degenerative aging process increases your risk of dying of heart disease and also of many other causes, so individual risk factors get swamped by the general effect of aging.

The study itself is behind a paywall; if you're a non-subscriber and not affiliated with an university, you can see the graphs and tables in the collaboration's PowerPoint slides:

https://www.ctsu.ox.ac.uk/research/...lesterol-slides

I understand well the basic limitation of observational studies: they can't establish cause and effect although the correlation of the analyses cited look quite suggestive. But I think that the commenter's point about looking at individual rates of death rather than country-level rates is valid.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this commenter's argument?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-14, 19:21

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
The Japanese as a country, smoke more than Americans do as a country, but get less lung cancer: that doesn't mean that smoking doesn't cause lung cancer.

But it might mean that smoking by itself is insufficient to cause cancer--or that some other factor greatly increases the effect of smoking on cancer.

If you look at the cholesterol conundrum video RawNut posted yesterday--the presenter showed data suggesting that a high particle count, or high triglycerides, might only be risk factors for cardiovascular disease on the condition that insulin be elevated past a certain point as well. A diet and lifestyle that raises all of these might increase heart disease, where one that raised all but insulin might not. Something could be a risk factor in one setting, not in another.

Quote:
Methods
Information was obtained from 61 prospective observational studies, mostly in western Europe or North America, consisting of almost 900 000 adults without previous disease and with baseline measurements of total cholesterol and blood pressure.

On the individual data point--well, okay. But looking at Western Europe and North America, we're looking at a relatively homogenous culture. What if something about these cultures--high sugar intake? Years of access to trans fats? Maybe something leading to high insulin--makes high cholesterol a risk factor (especially if high cholesterol travels with a high particle count, high triglycerides, low hdl, as it often does when insulin is high).

Pretty long-winded way of saying that context is everything. Maybe tweaking cholesterol can improve things some, in a certain context. Maybe there are other options so effective that they make cholesterol and statins practically irrelevant. Hope so.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-14, 21:36

If you concede the point about needing to use studies of individuals rather than whole countries, than that well-known graph becomes meaningless, doesn't it?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-14, 05:13

BF:

If you concede the point. I sure don't. Something I remember from a well-known vegan advocate--I think it was McDougall, of all people--applies here, I think. He was talking about epidemiological studies that showed very weak associations of disease with meat intake vs plant intake. What he basically said, was that if you look at meat intake in some part of America, you won't find much advantage to decreased meat intake. Basically because veganism is so wildly unpopular on a population basis, that when you split things into quintiles, there often just isn't enough difference in the diet and lifestyle between even the top and bottom quintiles to make all that much difference. Looking at data from different countries, instead of individuals--or looking at what people ate in the 17th century, and how they did atherosclerosis wise vs people today, if you could get reliable data to make the comparison--might give us some valuable information.

If you think about it, this applies to paleo as well. It sidesteps the idea that eating like people who didn't get metabolic syndrome, type II diabetes, etc. might be a good idea.

Treat a thousand with statins, how many benefit? As many as if you find a way to lower insulin, increase insulin sensitivity, etc.? I doubt it.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-14, 09:44

You lost me after "If you concede the point. I sure don't." How does what you said connect with asserting that using country-wide statistics to prove a point is invalid?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-14, 13:03

BF:

But the person making the argument about country wide statistics him/herself then posts a study using statistics from North America plus Western Europe. How is it valid to lump all these countries together, but not to compare country to country? It's very convenenient to try and define the rules of a debate that you're right in the middle of.

I'm not saying that you can't get important data from the approach suggested. But that isn't to say that you can't get important data from a country vs. country approach. The one doesn't necessarily trump the other--we might just have a hold of another part of the elephant or something.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-14, 15:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
But the person making the argument about country wide statistics him/herself then posts a study using statistics from North America plus Western Europe.

What?! The critic specifically said "A meta-analysis of such individual-level data...". The title of the study is Blood cholesterol and vascular mortality by age, sex, and blood pressure: a meta-analysis of individual data from 61 prospective studies with 55 000 vascular deaths. How does that become country-level data?

I think a valid rebuttal would be along the lines of "how do you think country-level data is compiled? It's from a collection of individual-level data."
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-07-14, 16:54

BF:

Okay then... how is it reasonable to lump individual data from all these countries together but not to compare country to country data? How is the one approach reasonable and useful, and the other not? How does individual data from say Framingham invalidate a study comparing the Swedish to the Kitivans? Why exactly shouldn't we look at differences between countries?

To me, those WHO graphs, or the "22 country" graphs meant to counter Ancel Keys infamous study don't show that cholesterol isn't a factor in heart disease or mortality. It's entirely possible for cholesterol to be a major factor in one country, and not another. I don't know if this is the case, but it's possible. So in a way, I end up agreeing. I just disagree that the WHO graph is entirely useless.

Two rat cages. In one the rats are exposed to aflatoxin from rancid peanuts, in another, they aren't. In one rat cage--a high casein diet causes high liver cancer. In the other, it seems to be harmless. Yes we ought to pay attention to any apparent effects of excess casein in one of the cages. But we ought to pay attention to the cage where casein doesn't seem to matter, as well.

Quote:
But even supposing that the author has correctly redrawn his graph from proper data, it's still meaningless. These are not *individual-level* data, but data for entire countries.

My root argument is that the graph isn't meaningless. It's maybe not what the author intended (the author of the WHO graph, that is), in that it's not a slam-bam refutation of a relationship of cholesterol to heart disease. What I see in this and in the 22-countries type graphs is that at a given average national cholesterol level, you can have a wide variation in heart disease mortality.

It would be interesting to see a less Western-centric study like the one posted with data from mostly Western Europe and North America. In places where the WHO data shows high mortality from heart disease paired with lower average cholesterol, I wonder what the relationship between changes in cholesterol and heart disease looks like?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-14, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Okay then... how is it reasonable to lump individual data from all these countries together but not to compare country to country data? How is the one approach reasonable and useful, and the other not? How does individual data from say Framingham invalidate a study comparing the Swedish to the Kitivans? Why exactly shouldn't we look at differences between countries?

That, I think, is a reasonable rejoinder.
Quote:
To me, those WHO graphs, or the "22 country" graphs meant to counter Ancel Keys infamous study don't show that cholesterol isn't a factor in heart disease or mortality. It's entirely possible for cholesterol to be a major factor in one country, and not another. I don't know if this is the case, but it's possible. So in a way, I end up agreeing. I just disagree that the WHO graph is entirely useless.

My root argument is that the graph isn't meaningless. It's maybe not what the author intended (the author of the WHO graph, that is), in that it's not a slam-bam refutation of a relationship of cholesterol to heart disease. What I see in this and in the 22-countries type graphs is that at a given average national cholesterol level, you can have a wide variation in heart disease mortality.

That doesn't address one of critic's main thrusts: the graph, while allegedly drawn from WHO data, isn't specific about the methodology behind the graph, nor has that methodology been peer reviewed. That immediately makes the graph suspect and invalid to use for advocating anything.
Quote:
Two rat cages. In one the rats are exposed to aflatoxin from rancid peanuts, in another, they aren't. In one rat cage--a high casein diet causes high liver cancer. In the other, it seems to be harmless. Yes we ought to pay attention to any apparent effects of excess casein in one of the cages. But we ought to pay attention to the cage where casein doesn't seem to matter, as well.

That would be a reasonable line of thinking except for the fatal problem noted earlier.
Quote:
It would be interesting to see a less Western-centric study like the one posted with data from mostly Western Europe and North America. In places where the WHO data shows high mortality from heart disease paired with lower average cholesterol, I wonder what the relationship between changes in cholesterol and heart disease looks like?

Someone or some group with reputable credentials (e.g. a Cochrane Collaboration group) would have to validate the data/the data collection process and the graphing methodology. Then, yes, a comparison would be interesting.