Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
Diana's Sucess story.....
Posted by DianaO
Posted Wed, Jul-28-04
Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%
Smile Diana's Sucess story.....

My Atkins Journey

My Journey with Atkins on August 11, 2003. I was at my highest weight 175.5lbs and gaining by the minute. I originally tried to Low Carb it back in May but didn’t take myself serious enough and failed after 2 weeks. August came around and I was tired of being Fat, Tired of being embarrassed when my Daughter, 2 at the time would grab my fat rolls and laugh, it just tore me up more inside. I happened across a picture of me that made me want to get sick, I had never been this big in my life. I had to do something. I went out and purchased Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution Updated Revised book. I read it cover to cover in a few days, and started to re-read it. It made so much sense! I couldn’t believe the eye opener it was.

I started the new Way of Life (WOL) right away! The first few days I had a horrible headache, this I learned was my Sugar withdraw. As my body turned to my fat stores to burn (Ketosis) I started to feel better. Within a few days I felt great, I wasn’t hungry and my cravings had subsided. That first week I lost about 10lbs. I couldn’t believe how I felt and what I could eat, poultry, fish, shellfish, eggs and red meat, butter, mayonnaise, olive oil, and other vegetable oils, & Vegetables. This was unbelievable, how come not everyone knows about this?

By the time my first month passed I lost 19lbs. I still couldn’t believe it. After my first 20lbs of loss People started to notice and make comments which only made me float higher and higher. I started recommending it to my neighbors who of course told me how bad it was and that I was going to hurt my kidneys. So I decided to start studying up on this WOL. I found no Evidence that this WOL could hurt you. If fact all medical research shows how it can help you.

As the days turned into weeks and so on, I felt better and better. I finally needed to go shopping for new clothes, how awesome is that? Having to buy smaller clothes for the first time in years! Later I learned that this would become my backbone for Success. Looking forward to being able to wear clothes that are stylish and look good on you, not just to hide fat rolls and loose skin.

For the first time in years I have become a morning person, even while in the Military I couldn’t stand to have to get up at 4am, heck getting up at 7am was a struggle. But now I get up at 5am just because. I wake up with a smile on my face, I sleep 100% better then I have in years, refreshed and ready to go! I have never had such a positive attitude like I do now. I see the world differently. I act differently. I feel younger then I did when I was 21. Now just how is that possible? How is it possible to change your eating habits, your attitude, and your thought process and all of a sudden start to become Healthy? I’ll tell you why. A lot of us spend the majority of our days snacking, or maybe sitting on a couch and watching TV all day. Our reasoning, there is nothing to do, or I am bored. If we just had the motivation to get up off of that couch and change our lifestyle for the better, wouldn’t it be worth it? Wouldn’t it be worth living many, many more years, watching your children grow up. Being able to spend time outdoors? I think we all know the answer to this.

I have gone through some rough spots along the way. I don’t want to paint a rosy Picture for everyone and say how it is so easy. Yes it can be easy for some and extremely difficult for others. Around Thanksgiving time I ate some foods that I should not have. I thought they were a Sugar free item, only to wake the next day with a major headache like I had a hangover. Of course that day I ate pretty much the same thing, waking the following day exactly the same, headache and no loss on the scale. I soon realized what had happened. I felt like I did back when I ate Carbs, I was bloated, gassy moody you name it. What I didn’t know was how hard it was going to be to recover from it. That night I had an appetite I could have ate a house! I ended up eating some peanuts and a Low carb bar to try to take the edge off. I soon discovered these items do not agree with me. I gained the next day. It was unreal, shock of what was happening. I vowed to get back to it, pushing harder. The next week went well Loss started again and I was back into Ketosis. Around Christmas I decided to enjoy a meal. I figured I worked hard for this success I deserve this. Amazingly it did not kick me out of Ketosis, but it jumped started weight loss. I felt fine the next day, no headache nothing. Well I should have known that was the “Kiss of Death” as Dr. Atkins refers to it. I have learned you can not reward yourself with food. This is what we need to learn from the beginning. Our problem starts with food, why are we rewarding ourselves with more? It has been a battle for the most part in December and the Beginning of January 2004. I finally got angry with myself, what was I thinking? Was I going to destroy everything I worked so hard for? 45.5lbs loss in 4 months, was I nuts for kissing it all away? NO! I got mad, Hopped back on Induction to BREAK my cravings. Soon again I was feeling great and in control of those cravings.
My first week back to induction, I had lost over 3lbs that week. Things seem to get a bit better, I feel better, eating better, exercising just feeling better for getting back on track. Amazing how eating better, more vegetables, leaner meats, small amounts of diary can make a person healthier. Just monitor your LDL and your HDL levels, watch the miracle happen!

January 19, 2004 I was supposed to be in Los Angeles for a taping of the Dr. Phil Show called “Debate with Dr. Phil” Another person I know through the boards I frequent was also picked to go and debate. Well we waited, got all of our information together and apparently they decided not to do the show. We were not going to slam his WOL, just show him that Low Carbing works. That there is no medical evidence that it can hurt the body. Matter of fact we were gathering Studies that show it does. He has to admit he jumped on the bandwagon with his foods just like all other WOL’s. I just can not stand to hear a person or “DR.” slam a WOL, where is his evidence, His studies? You never see one! No one can say his WOL doesn’t work, or Low Fat doesn’t work. Everybody is different, and what works for some may not work for others.

I have helped about 10 people start to Low Carb, a change from their Low fat WOL. To hear them constantly talk about being hungry or eating food with no real taste, was too much for them. After a month or so seeing them to this day is awesome! They look great, grinning ear to ear and what’s more they are healthier. They talk about the fact that they can actually enjoy what they eat and feel satisfied when they are done. To not have to think about food all the time, just plan a meal, enjoy it and go on about the day. I love being an inspiration to others. I love being able to help people feel better about them selves. Helping people see what I discovered, and adding days, weeks, Years onto their lives. Now how can you say no to that?

Since getting to goal of 125lbs I have never felt better in my life. I work out at the Gym Monday/Wednesday/Friday and on Tuesdays and Thursdays I do Pilates. I believe exercise is the greatest help with any weightloss program!

My advise for anyone wanting to lose weight-
1. Portion control Measure it all!!
2. Water! Drink a minimum of 64oz
3. Exercise at least 30 minutes a day!
4. Make sure you are getting plenty of Veggies!

These are great Keys to success!
Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
In-Progress
Not uploaded yet
After

by nikkil on Wed, Jul-28-04, 06:46

what an amazing story! Congratulations on sticking to it and learning all that you have. Thank you for sharing your experiences with all of us (specifically ME). I'm having a hard time right now and reading your story is a big boost. I keep procrastinating on the exercise and I know that is key!

Thanks again,

Nicole

8 comments [read all comments]