Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 21:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/220/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Help for a stomach ache?

What do you do or take when you have a severe stomach ache? I must admit that since starting this WOL I've hardly had any indigestion or stomach problems but I felt like I was going to die on Valentine's Day. I cannot tolerate certain vegetables like broccoli ( I get a severe stomach ache--dull and then sharp nagging pains) and I think my dark leafy salad caught up with me. I needed relief so I took 2 TUMS which I know is like eating pure sugar but it was 2 am and I didn't know what the alternatives were. Any suggestions that are Atkins friendly?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 22:14

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

For tummy gas I mix exactly 1/2 teaspoon baking soda (NO MORE) into 1/2 cup ice cold water and drink up! It's not very tasty (hence the need to use ice water), but it works for stomach gas. Once the gas makes it into your intestines, though, that won't do any good.

Also good for stomach gas: just as you would burp a baby, burp yourself. Pat yourself on the stomach; it helps the gas consolidate and move up. (My husband, a nurse, taught me that.)

Before starting Atkins, I had horrible gas (stomach) pains, so I know these things from experience.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 22:15

BF:

Oh, and cooking vegetables longer than normal can break down the cellulose and help with the gas problems, too.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 22:38

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

And they do make SF tums if you still need them.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 09:33
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

What else did you eat besides the salad? Since it was valintines there wasn't any sugar free chocolates were there?

There is a great thread on here somewhere that deals with the bowl problems many can have when starting LC. For those who never touched a raw veggies before, the extra roughage can cause problems. For a little while cook all your veggies. Then slowly cook them a little less and maybe add in just a small amount of raw.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 09:39
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

I went out to eat on SUnday and had chicken and stir fry veggies and when I came home I had the most awful tummy ache. Don't know why. It was so bad. My friend thought it was gas and told me to drink some warm water and I did and then I burped like 7-8 times and felt better. I then ate the left overs and then it came back again and hurt so much. It felt like it was hurting in the stomach walls and pushing my stomach out. I went to bed and it was hurting but when I got up on Monday morning I was fine.

The chicken was fried. I don't think there was any flour on it. The veggies were broccoli, bok choy and mushrooms. I specifically requested no flour or cornstarch. Could it have been the soy souce? I haven't had any in forver. Or do you think the veggies had sugar in them?

I'm glad it went away.

red
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 10:09

BF:

Well, Chinese food can be heavy on the veggies. Sometimes some people have to work up to eating that many at once. Broccoli is rough on some people, and I bet bok choi is too, since it's cabbage.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 10:30
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Thanks FrecklFluf! I was worried it was my gall bladder or a hernia or an ulcer.

red
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 20:22

Stats: 222/207/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 19%

My son has frequent stomach upset, with pains and cramps, I give him 2 ginger capsules and that helps. Tried it myself and it works, sort of warms the stomach too. Spring Valley is one brand I've found.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 20:28

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Chinese food is notorious for containing MSG. Maybe it was a sensitivity to the MSG. Many people have difficulty tolerating it.