Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 10:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/204/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Low Carb Bread

I was so excited about making bread yesterday! I used to eat bread as a staple in my diet. I made bread ALL OF THE TIME! I made low carb bread yesterday and it smelled so good. Then I tried it. YUCK! I would rather go without bread. Has anyone tried a tasty low carb bread?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 11:27

Stats: 267/253/180 Female 5'9
BF:WAY too much
Progress: 16%

ugh!! I'm sorry it was so awful!! We have a local bakery that makes a low carb bread that is quite yummy. It's expensive though, so I try to do without!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 11:40

Stats: 158/134/130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 86%

I just recently discovered cheap lc bread at my local Shopper's Food Warehouse. It's Schmidt Old Tyme Sugar Free Whole Grain bread. It has 8 net carbs per slice which is higher than Atkins but it tastes good and cost me $1.88 per 16 oz loaf.

I just mentioned in another thread how I made french toast with it this morning for my kids and drizzled sf maple syrup all over it and they loved it and not one of them suspected anything different!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 13:48

Stats: 225/140/140 Female 5' 4.5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

The only one I have been able to tolerate is Atkins. Not great, but tolerable. I don't eat it often (actually, I never ate bread often before) but like to have it on hand just in case I want a sandwhich or something. I wish I could find a decent one that was less expensive
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 14:02

Plan: low cal,less pro. atkins
Stats: 138/130/118 Female 179 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 40%

country hearth lite. under 2 dollars a loaf, 1 slice has 4 carbs. it's a commercial brand too, so it never says low carb on the bag. but it just happens to be whole grain so it's more fiber than something like, oatmeal or white bread.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 14:07
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

My DH likes Food for Life low carb bread. It's kind of pricey ($3 a loaf at Trader Joes) but he says it tastes good -- 4 g carbs per slice. I can also get it here in Tucson at Wild Oats Market, but it's much more expensive there (> $4 a loaf).

Jeannie
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 14:09
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischab
I was so excited about making bread yesterday! I used to eat bread as a staple in my diet. I made bread ALL OF THE TIME! I made low carb bread yesterday and it smelled so good. Then I tried it. YUCK! I would rather go without bread. Has anyone tried a tasty low carb bread?

I really don't enjoy low carb breads that much, so I've resorted to baking low carb muffins -- there are TONS of good recipes out there. I find that I miss eating the "bread-textured" things, and the muffins fill that void for me.

Jeannie
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 15:24

Stats: 158/134/130 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 86%

Have you ever tried making muffins in a loaf pan. Then after you've "tested" a slice or two with a cup of coffee, the next day toast a slice and butter it -- yum!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 15:39

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hi there!!

I also have tried quite a few low carb breads and thought they just tasted gross!!! Then, at the local health food store I discovered Natural Ovens low carb bread. I thought ' okay let's try this one' since I have eaten and liked their high carb breads previously.

IT WAS DELICIOUS!!! It tastes just like normal bread to me, it is absolutely amazing. 3 carbs/slice and a large loaf cost $4. It is totally worth it, 7g. of protein and lots of fiber in each slice too!!

I also agree with the others about the muffins. I also like the Atkins muffins but not the breads.

But really, the Natural ovens low carb bread is spectacular.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 16:14
Registered Member

Stats: 224/204/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 31%

Thank you all for the great advice! I may not give up bread =- and I'm going to Trader Joe's Tomorrow! I look there for the bread as well! Thank you!
Mischa
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 16:23

Stats: 416/369/185 Male 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 20%

I found a link to the Natural Ovens lo-card bread. Looks like you can buy it online.
http://www.naturalovens.com/Product...read/index.html
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 16:30
Registered Member

Stats: 170/152/144 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Trader Joe's is GREAT for low carbing, but beware of their so-called low carb cookies. They have 10g of carbs and some verbiage about only a certain small number of "bad" carbs, with the rest being "good" carbs, so they don't count. It doesn't sound like they're talking about fiber. They must be referring to some diet that I don't know anything about. Does anyone understand this?

Last edited by vickiel : Sun, Aug-24-03 at 16:31.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 16:49

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 225/203/175 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Low carb bread

Just returned from WalMart ... saw (and purchased) some low-carb bread made by Natures Own !!! It's called Wheat 'n Fiber ... total carbs per slice = 7 !!! Less the 2 grams of dietary fiber = 5 grams !! Also contains 2 grams soy protein per slice. Only $2.14 for a pound loaf !!
They also had a whole wheat with no soy ... 11 grams of carbs less 2 dietary fiber = 9 per slice !!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 17:02

Stats: 194/164/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Vickiel--

I think the "good" carbs they're referring to are the sugar alcohol carbs. There's been a lot of debate about whether the sugar alchohol carbs stall people or not (in my case they do) so it's hard to trust what the package says. I tried a low-carb cookie from GNC (I don't remember the brand, but it was in a bright red wrapper) and it was GROSS. Why they fill those things chock full of vitamins, I'll never know.

Pam
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 07:34
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hayseed, the Nature's Own Wheat 'N Fiber bread is really good! It's like $1.88 a loaf at my Super Wal-Mart. It's so nice to be able to have a sandwich (at least half a sandwich) again. Heck, last week I had a PBJ sandwich! I want to try it for French Toast next.