Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-15, 00:15

Plan: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Stats: 212/162/155 Male 68 "
BF:32/23.5/23.5
Progress: 88%
Default How long has it been?

I'm returning to these pages, after being gone a very long time. I've been diabetic since 1997, and in February of 2007, I found the cure of all cures when I went to live in China with a Chinese Herbal Medicine Doctor.

It all seemed so perfect until the end of 2013, when I discovered my Chinese TCM Doctor wife that I brought here from China and married, was poisoning me with liquid herbal concoctions she was adding into my drinks and foods. That began a fast downward spiral in my health, and for all of 2014, my overall health deteriorated and it was a battle not to die. Every diabetic related complication returned with vengeance. I went from almost 7 years of controlling with just diet and exercise to maximum oral meds and insulin.

My blood pressure went through the roof, and I found myself in an emergency room on January 9th of this year. They kept me overnight with a diagnosis of unstable angina. in the following morning, they performed an angioplasty surgery and removed a 95% blockage in my LAD artery (the widowmaker). To top that off, the week going into that surgery I also developed the nastiest cold I ever had in my life and this was the first time I had been sick since 2007.

During 2014, needless to say, we separated and started a divorce process. I went into the deepest funk, a dismayed spouse could ever sink into. The stress led to depression, which led to not caring about my health. From August, 2014 when I began to do daily BG monitoring, I never had a reading under 300 and saw over 500 almost daily. I went into the deepest denial and I ate every wrong food imaginable, and even when seeing my BG monitor topping out at 600, I was in such denial that I never admitted myself into a hospital, and my response became to grab another beer, daiquiri or pizza, or etc....

From early 2007 to late 2013, or thereabout, I managed my diabetes with diet and exercise alone. Amazing, how a person that helps you find a right path can take that path away from you. I can't go into complete details on how I got poisoned and why, and I'll sum it up with, she married me for the green card, but it was a lot more complicated than that.

Anyway, I'm now diagnosed with diabetic neuropathy in my eyes, Ischemic Heart Disease, Insulin Dependent diabetic, and I went from years of keeping my weight under 175 and as low as 155 to now having topped out at 202, but as tough as this battle has been to regain my foothold mentally and spiritually, I finally turned the corned this past weekend. I put myself on a temporary raw vegetable diet, and I've already dropped 7 pounds, got my blood sugar in normal range, and blood pressure is fine. I've begun the healing process and I can see some kind of progress each and every day.

I stopped drinking as of Saturday, and my attitude to it all is acceptance that I brought most of my problems on myself, and that I should have sought professional medical help a lot sooner. I look at it like this: "I'm done with all that"... I cannot continue to live in denial and expect to keep living.

After the first month on all raw vegetables, I'll evaluate where I am and if I feel my progress was sufficient, I might add beans, tofu and certain grains to my diet. At some point I might add an egg for protein, but my focus will continue to be on a raw vegetable diet, continue to lose weight, continue to monitor my BG.

On the exercise end of things, I started walking and I've been taking some very long walks, and I plan to start at the gym as soon as I feel up to it.

I did learn a lot about managing diabetes and improving overall health and I let it all go in one lousy year, and it was a big mistake to not keep things together, but I am where I am and I'm done with the denial now....

I hope being here again, will help me refresh my memory on all the things I and others had learned in managing this dreadful disease known as diabetes. I hope there has been some magic cure all, found and posted in this forum, but mainly I'm here for the support all of you who are also fighting the good fight can give me.

I beat it once, I can hopefully do it again. On Sunday, I found within myself a new determination, and I need to hold on to that.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-15, 02:57

Plan: Bernstein, Fung, IF
Stats: 267/202/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

Cajunboy, welcome. This is a forum that has great supporters and a ton of information. I, for one, have learned a ton and have made tremendous improvements in my health in just a few months. You might especially find helpful reading the first several pages of the Dr Fung thread and give consideration to adding intermittent fasting to help speed your recovery from hyperinsulinemia. Come daily to stay connected to your resolve and don't be shy to just chime it. I will be rooting for you.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-15, 05:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Back Cajunboy, I remember you and am saddened to hear of the health problems suffered in your absence from this forum. But we are all here to help and support you back to health. Brushing off that journal again may help you through the tough times emotionally.

I had the same thought as IrishRed reading through your story. You must check out the New Doctor on the Diabetes block. Skim through the long thread but more importantly listen to him lecture. Since my suggestions in the first post on Dr Fung's thread last July, I would now strongly encourage you to start with a newer one...The Two Big Lies of T2Diabetes.
http://youtu.be/FcLoaVNQ3rc

Also new, not available at the beginning of the thread, is a more extensive list of insulintropic foods compiled by Marty Kendall. Check his website and Manifesto if interested. https://optimisingnutrition.wordpress.com. Dr Fung is very supportive of Marty's work.

Dr Fung's IDM program is a good fit with what you are inclined to do right now. When you come to his Dieatry Index you will see a big emphasis on Fiberous raw vegetables. He would still want you to add some protein and fats, but it is a different approach than Dr Westman or Atkins. Everything you need is here on the thread, but know his IDM offers a "Long Distance" program which is very inexpensive by US standards for a year of help. About US $160 for a year.
https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/join/

We are here to support you reverse that diabetes! You did it before and you will do it again.

Ps..you might want to update your weights and the plan in your profile, since it doesn't sound like you are 'Eating Fat' at this time

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Jun-05-15 at 07:50.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-15, 07:57

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Welcome back, Cajunboy. Janet has included links to excellent information that should help get you on the road to better health.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-15, 10:39

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I remember you Cajunboy. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. Welcome back.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-15, 11:46

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Wow Cajunboy, you were always such a huge inspiration to many of us here! I'm so sorry you have had to go through the time in hell that you have been through. It's hard to claw back when you get so depressed you hardly care about life anymore. I've been there too, even without any poisoning attempts! Coming backhere is another one of the best things you can do for yourself.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-15, 17:39

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

What a story! But you made it (and it would be a great book, sounds like) and you are making your way back.

And the fact that you CAN is worth celebrating.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-15, 10:53

Plan: As low as possible
Stats: 116/116/112 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%

Welcome back Cajun! So sad to hear about your troubles but you did it before you can do it again.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-15, 11:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Welcome back! I hope you're healing from all your issues and I'm glad you got the denial phase behind you now. Stick to your guns!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-15, 11:23

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Welcome Cajunboy. Nice to have you back. So sorry you went through such a catastrophic experience. Betrayal is worse than death if you ask me - no wonder you responded big time.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-15, 12:02

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Please let us know how you are doing, you haven't posted since June 5th. We all want to help.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-15, 15:47

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Yes, welcome back..I remember you well. I second Jey100's suggestion regarding the new Dr, Fung. Great stuff. You might want to ignore his last post on feasting though.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-03-15, 06:41

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunboy47
I'm returning to these pages, after being gone a very long time. I've been diabetic since 1997, and in February of 2007, I found the cure of all cures when I went to live in China with a Chinese Herbal Medicine Doctor.

It all seemed so perfect until the end of 2013, when I discovered my Chinese TCM Doctor wife that I brought here from China and married, was poisoning me with liquid herbal concoctions she was adding into my drinks and foods. That began a fast downward spiral in my health, and for all of 2014, my overall health deteriorated and it was a battle not to die. Every diabetic related complication returned with vengeance. I went from almost 7 years of controlling with just diet and exercise to maximum oral meds and insulin.

My blood pressure went through the roof, and I found myself in an emergency room on January 9th of this year. They kept me overnight with a diagnosis of unstable angina. in the following morning, they performed an angioplasty surgery and removed a 95% blockage in my LAD artery (the widowmaker). To top that off, the week going into that surgery I also developed the nastiest cold I ever had in my life and this was the first time I had been sick since 2007.

During 2014, needless to say, we separated and started a divorce process. I went into the deepest funk, a dismayed spouse could ever sink into. The stress led to depression, which led to not caring about my health. From August, 2014 when I began to do daily BG monitoring, I never had a reading under 300 and saw over 500 almost daily. I went into the deepest denial and I ate every wrong food imaginable, and even when seeing my BG monitor topping out at 600, I was in such denial that I never admitted myself into a hospital, and my response became to grab another beer, daiquiri or pizza, or etc....

From early 2007 to late 2013, or thereabout, I managed my diabetes with diet and exercise alone. Amazing, how a person that helps you find a right path can take that path away from you. I can't go into complete details on how I got poisoned and why, and I'll sum it up with, she married me for the green card, but it was a lot more complicated than that.

Anyway, I'm now diagnosed with diabetic neuropathy in my eyes, Ischemic Heart Disease, Insulin Dependent diabetic, and I went from years of keeping my weight under 175 and as low as 155 to now having topped out at 202, but as tough as this battle has been to regain my foothold mentally and spiritually, I finally turned the corned this past weekend. I put myself on a temporary raw vegetable diet, and I've already dropped 7 pounds, got my blood sugar in normal range, and blood pressure is fine. I've begun the healing process and I can see some kind of progress each and every day.

I stopped drinking as of Saturday, and my attitude to it all is acceptance that I brought most of my problems on myself, and that I should have sought professional medical help a lot sooner. I look at it like this: "I'm done with all that"... I cannot continue to live in denial and expect to keep living.

After the first month on all raw vegetables, I'll evaluate where I am and if I feel my progress was sufficient, I might add beans, tofu and certain grains to my diet. At some point I might add an egg for protein, but my focus will continue to be on a raw vegetable diet, continue to lose weight, continue to monitor my BG.

On the exercise end of things, I started walking and I've been taking some very long walks, and I plan to start at the gym as soon as I feel up to it.

I did learn a lot about managing diabetes and improving overall health and I let it all go in one lousy year, and it was a big mistake to not keep things together, but I am where I am and I'm done with the denial now....

I hope being here again, will help me refresh my memory on all the things I and others had learned in managing this dreadful disease known as diabetes. I hope there has been some magic cure all, found and posted in this forum, but mainly I'm here for the support all of you who are also fighting the good fight can give me.

I beat it once, I can hopefully do it again. On Sunday, I found within myself a new determination, and I need to hold on to that.

Hello Cajonboy,

I am so sorry to hear what has happened to you. This is simply awful.

I haven't been coming to this forum in quite a long time either. I do browse through it ocassionally. Then I saw your post.

A lot has changed for me too; all for the better.

I had a gastric bypass procedure back in 11/4/2013. I haven't look back since.

My weight has come down to 200; my goal.

I no longer need medications of any kind to control my diabetes. My A1Cs are always in the 5's. I could do better I suppose with more disciplined eating habits. However, by following the bariatric program (high protein, low carb and veggies) I have done quite well.

I am currently looking into Dr. Davis's "wheat belly" approach; albeit I am not sure I want to give up everything completely as his followers suggest.

I do hope you get back on course and resume your life. You really took a very severe hit from what you state above.

Best wishes,

Ralph
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-04-15, 07:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinbr
I am currently looking into Dr. Davis's "wheat belly" approach; albeit I am not sure I want to give up everything completely as his followers suggest.

I suggest you give it a whack for thirty days. I did, and the improvement in places I had no idea could improve convinced me to stay on the gluten-free course.

Yes, it's a metaphorical pain in the neck. But compared to the real pain I was feeling from arthritis and digestive issues, it is amazing that something so essentially simple can work such wonders.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Sep-04-15, 07:37

BF:

Cajunboy, congrats for getting on the path you are following now. It sounds like you have a book in you. If you wish to create a memoir, go right ahead. Many people report it is a healing process.