Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 10:13

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlee
These are a favorite Sunday morning breakfast in our house. Taste- and texture-wise, these fall somewhere in between true doughnuts/beignets and funnel cakes. They cook very fast, so make sure you have everything on hand!

1 egg
1/2 stick (1/4 c) butter, melted
2 tbsp Splenda or erythritol
1 tsp vanilla
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
Splenda & cinnamon for topping
Canola oil

Heat about 1 inch of oil in a heavy skillet until it's hot enough for frying. While the oil heats, beat the egg lightly with the melted butter, then add the Splenda, protein powder, and vanilla. Whisk together until all the lumps are pretty much broken up, then let it rest a minute or two and whisk a bit more (batter will still have a grainy look to it, but that's fine). Using a small ladle or large spoon, drop the batter by large tablespoonfuls into the hot oil in batches of 4. Fry until bottoms are golden-brown, which will only take a few seconds, then flip. Drain on paper towels, then sprinkle with Splenda and cinnamon to taste and serve hot.

Makes about 8 doughnut holes, and serves 2-4 depending on how piggy you are.

COUNTS:
Counts are for total recipe, excluding the sprinkled Splenda/cinnamon, and may vary a little bit depending on your brand of whey. The carbs are mostly from the Splenda, so using an alternative heat-stable sweetener will cut the carb count a bit more (I use erythritol).
Calories: 586
Fat: 52g
Carbs: 6g
Protein: 24g

NOTES:
I've made these probably 10 times, and after trying every kind of spoon and pouring implement in my kitchen, I use an ice cream scoop for the batter -- it seems to give me the most control. The batter manages to be both thick and liquidy, and it takes some practice to figure out the trick to pouring.

These are easier to flip neatly if you use your spatula to dribble a little oil over the tops of them while the first sides are cooking. The batter will still be liquidy in the center at that point, and it will spill out when flipped; but if you use a little oil to make a "skin" on the tops, you'll get nice round doughnuts.

If you prefer funnel-cakes, you can pour the battter into the oil in ribbons, but be aware that this goes even more quickly than the holes!

You could easily fool around with other flavors of whey protein -- chocolate and praline both sound appealing -- to tweak these up. I'm working on using natural-flavored whey and no sweetener to make sausage balls and other little savories.

I was just surfing through the various threads and I am going to make these things for lunch. I have all the ingredients. Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 12:16
revcharlie

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Donuts for breakfast are beyond my imaging. The thought makes me dizzy and sick to my stomach even if they are low carb. They look good, however, and I may make them for a dessert.
  #123   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-08, 19:06

Plan: various plans
Stats: 209/187/131 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 28%

I just made these!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!! They're wonderful!!! Even my picky, nine year old liked them. I used one packet of splenda in the batter and rolled them in one packet, plus some cinnamon. Next time, I'll try to get a different sweetener for the rolling. It tastes good, but has an after taste.
  #124   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-08, 19:30

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Just tried these today for the first time. I havent eaten doughnuts in years, but these definately taste at least close to what I remember ....used chocolate whey protien, and added extra cocoa.
  #125   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-08, 09:32

Plan: various plans
Stats: 209/187/131 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 28%

Just made these again. This time, I used 1 scoop powder, 1 egg, 1/2 stick butter, sprinkle of cinnamon, and tsp vanilla (watch the vanilla, some has corn syrup in it!!) I left out the splenda.

After mixing all that up in a measuring glass with a spout, I poured it into a skillet with 1/4 inche of oil. I let the batter take on the shape of a piece of french toast, making sure to splash oil on the top before flipping them.

When they were done, we had pancakes! I served them with fried eggs. We really liked them, though skip the butter on top. There's so much better in the batter and then the oil that it makes it a bit sickening.... can't believe I just said that about butter!!

Thanks again for this recipes. It's great!!
  #126   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 16:19
Never Give Up!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/139/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

This thread is pretty dated, but I just had to reply because this has got to be one of the best recipes I have found for low carbing yet. Even my non low carb very picky teen age daughter loved these. With goodies like this one, who wouln't do low carb? My "donuts" turned out more like funnel cakes, but I think they tasted better that way, soft and crispy and very yummy. I can't stop raving over this recipe!!!
  #127   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-08, 23:43

Stats: 163/148/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I made these today and they were so good. Next time though I will try baking them on my doughnut pan. I used co inn place of the butter and lemon in place of the vanilla.
These are so simple to whip up. I didn't even top them, I thought they where sweet enough.
  #128   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-08, 00:00

Stats: 163/148/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
So I found me a pan (I have LOTS of kitchenalia!), an old one that had shallow wells in it that looked right for aebleskivir/poffertjes, though it wasn't cast iron. I decided to give the no-DEEP-frying thing a go, with this pan and with this recipe with only a tweak or two.

A couple of drops of oil, maybe just under a 1/4 tsp, in each "cup", preheated the oven, mixed up a double batch of this batter (which filled each cup about 3/4 full) and off I went. BTW, I really don't know how much less oil that works out to in the end, compared to deep frying, or even if it IS less...the only way to check that is to measure the oil precisely before deepfrying and then again after, and note the difference. Sigh. Too much for me to even think about.

Here are the results:

Anyways, they worked out rather better tasting than they look; they did puff up, but most of them fell when I took it out. I didn't have to turn them over (probably the high fat content encourages browning, as does protein). I've tried them both ways, Danish style aebleskivir with a bit of low carb jam in the little hollow -- raspberry, VERY nice -- and Dutch style with a sprinkle of "sugar" and cinnamon, also VERY edible. These are my breakfast for the next little while...so 6 breakfasts or desserts out of this recipe, doubled. Not bad!

Two things I'd do differently: I'd turn down the temp from 400F to about 375F, and I reduced the added sweetener just a bit to 1/2 Tbsp (I had added some liquid SugarTwin, 1 Tbsp, to the base recipe in addition to the sweetener already listed). These took about 10M at 400F; they make take a little longer at 375F but still need to be watched.

This is how I want to try them. I just wanted to quote this so people who are jusst joining the thread can read it.
  #129   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-08, 13:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/123/130 Female 5' 6"
BF:some
Progress: 170%

yummy!! These turned out great and so easy. Just make sure your oil isnt to hot else these will burn before there done. I like mine real small like the size of a walnut. Thanks you are amazing ATLEE
  #130   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-08, 17:30

Stats: 262.8/167.0/135 Female 5'3"
BF:lots and lots
Progress: 75%

These sound so good - gonna have to try them. Atlee - did you ever come up with a good savory recipe?
  #131   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-08, 10:06
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Last night we did two experimental little batches:

1 egg
1/2 cube butter (regular salted)
1 cap (maybe 1/2 tsp) vanilla
a little bit of apple pie spice (cinnamon,allspice,nutmeg)
1 Tbsp coconut meal/flour

One variant: 1 scoop 'french vanilla' designer whey brand protein powder
Other variant: 1 scoop chocolate DW protein powder.

To one batch:
1/2 tsp butter-pecan flavoring extract
sweetzfree to taste

Then to the other batch:
1 square baking chocolate 70%
sweetzfree to taste

I didn't have much oil so I used these little All-Clad deep/oversized metal ramikens that you can use on stovetop too, to get some depth of oil (or organic nonhydrogenated palm shortening technically).

I used a cookie scoop (like the little 1" ice-cream style scoop) to dish the batter into the pan.

They tasted much better to me for having the additional flavoring and a little coconut flour in them. Even the few that were incompletely done so still battery in the middle tasted good there instead of protein-ish. I hate the taste of protein powder so it was amazing I liked even the ordinary version of these, but I think the flavoring/coconut flour really helps for me.
  #132   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-08, 10:39

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hey PJ...I just noticed you are only 7 lbs from your goal!
  #133   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-08, 16:32

Stats: 262.8/167.0/135 Female 5'3"
BF:lots and lots
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
I hate the taste of protein powder so it was amazing I liked even the ordinary version of these, but I think the flavoring/coconut flour really helps for me.

Me too rightnow - can't stand the stuff. I always get excited when someone says they've found a protein powder that tastes great...but I've learned ... I still don't think it tastes great so now I don't buy it and expect to be able to have breakfast drinks etc.

I'll have to try your recipe - let you know how it goes
  #134   ^
Old Thu, Aug-27-09, 09:42

Plan: Whole Foods, Mod Carbs
Stats: 292.4/190.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I think I'm going to try this today!

Yummmm
  #135   ^
Old Sat, Aug-29-09, 19:18
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I recently made a very different version of these that was amazing.

Pizza Protein Pups
1/2 cube butter fully melted
1 egg
1/4 cup natural (unflavored) protein powder (I use designer whey)
1 tsp coconut meal
pinch of salt
1-2 tsp (to taste) of italian herb seasoning
small-diced pepperoni (I took 3 of the large sandwich-size pepperoni I got from the deli and sliced them up into about 1/3"x1/3" squares) (this is optional probably)
and
oil about 2" deep for frying

Melt butter, mix in coconut meal and herbs and salt, add the egg and pepperoni and mix, add the protein powder, then let it all sit to thicken a bit. If too thin still after sitting awhile a little extra coconut meal will take care of that promptly. The coconut is not taste-able.

Before serving, heat a little red italian (like spaghetti) sauce to dip these in.

I use a tablespoon-sized 'scoop' (the kind you push the thing with your thumb and it dumps out cookie dough or whatever). Heat the oil to very hot, and drop in a spoon of it. You don't want too much or the inside won't cook without making the outside overdry. Spooning it out quickly yet in a slightly "sliding" pattern (not a basketball drop but a bit more spread) is ideal.

It takes about 10-18 seconds per side to cook depending on how hot your oil is and how well done you like it -- you may need to experiment, make one and let it cool a bit then slice it open and see how the inside is cooked. I use a long fork or fondue forked stick to flip them over then, and then I usually keep a grid cooling rack on a cookie sheet right behind the pan and I literally flip it out of it onto the rack. If needed you can stab it and lift it out. I let it drain on that. You could use paper towels instead for draining them.

These were stunningly good. I mean I couldn't believe it. They actually tasted like something wonderfully-bad for you that you'd get either in frozen food section or fast food. And dipped in the spaghetti sauce it was fantastic. I literally couldn't believe it! I ate a couple of them thinking, maybe it's just me, but the slightly salty sorta crunchy fried outside of these are amazing, and the inside is yummy too, and perfect with the sauce!

I called my 13 year old in to try one. She said, "Oh my god!" and grabbed my plate and ran off with it, bringing it back to me when they were all gone, drats! I'm going to try them again and take pics and measure better so I can put the recipe on my blog.

PJ