Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-13, 18:49
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Creamy Chicken-Cabbage Skillet Casserole

I can never get my husband to eat much cabbage as a separate dish, but as soon as I cheese it up, make it creamy and turn it into a casserole……..his tune changes. I created this little quick skillet dish tonight for dinner that got my husband’s ultimate “up vote”: “You can fix that one again ANY time!” I liked it a lot, too! So this dish will definitely be in my regular chicken dinner rotations. And what a nutritious dinner this was!! Just check out the nutritional stats below! Who needs a multi vitamin with food as healthy as THIS?! Best of all, this recipe is super EASY............my kinda dish!

INGREDIENTS:

16 oz. raw boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into four ½” thick filets
1 T. olive oil
4 c. cabbage, coarsely chopped
½ c. sour cream
½ c. homemade mayonnaise
Dash each salt, black pepper and garlic powder
1/8 tsp. ground thyme
½ tsp. my Shawarma Spice blend (see below)
½ tsp. onion powder
1 c. Cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet. Brown the four pieces of chicken on both sides over high heat (chicken will not be fully done however). Lift them onto a plate while you put the rest of the dish together in this same skillet. Lower heat to medium-high. Add the chopped cabbage to the skillet and stir/saute for 2-3 minutes just until it begins to wilt. Turn off heat. Add the sour cream and homemade mayo and stir well. Add the spices and stir again to blend. Top with the cheese and neatly lay the browned chicken pieces on top. Pop the skillet into a 350º oven and bake for about 30 minutes. ENJOY!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 4 servings (a serving is 4 oz chicken + ¼ cabbage mixture):

533 calories
42.2 g fat
8.47 g carbs, 2.35 g fiber, 6.12 g NET CARBS
30.8 g protein
629 mg sodium
440 mg potassium
24% RDA Vitamin A, 49% B6, 81% B12, 44% C, 8% D, 33% #, 23% calcium, 21% copper, 43% iron, 18% magnesium, 12% manganese, 71% niacin, 77% phosphorous, 69% riboflavin, 104% selenium, 17% thiamin, 38% zinc.

Shawarma Spice Blend:

4 T. ground cumin seed
2 T. ground coriander seed
1 T. turmeric
1 T. black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-13, 08:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/154/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Your recipes always look so good! I love cabbage and can't wait to try this one. Thank you!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-13, 15:05

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

That sounds good! I going to try that. How's it going Peggy?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-22-13, 10:07
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

It was amazingly good, Liz. I've done creamy dishes like this before with pork, but never with sour cream and seasoned mayo. We were both surprised how good it was, and DH doesn't like cabbage too much.

I'm doing fine. Keeping busy with the holidays and family/tax stuff that comes around in Dec/Jan each year. Still not losing any weight though.