Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-13, 08:21
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Asian Pork Patties with Dipping Sauce ("Dumplings" optional)

Finally a way to have my "Pot Stickers" and EAT them too! We just love Chinese Pot Stickers at the restaurants, but low carbers can’t have the dumplings. I’ve found a way to have this tasty dish without the high-carb noodle wrapper they are usually made with. Instead, I made a batch of very small simmered dumplings that I make with glucomannan powder and ate them “along with” the meat and dipping sauce. I would have sworn I was eating real steamed dumplings!! So good!! I tried a bit of red bell pepper in my batch, but we both thought it conflicted with the other flavors and will definitely not put that in them next time. For this reason, I am not including the red bell pepper in the recipe below. This recipe is suitable for all phases of Atkins, Keto diets and Primal-Paleo if you omit the peanut butter in the sauce and use coconut aminos for the low-sodium soy sauce.

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb. lean ground pork
1 beaten egg
2 jalapenos, seeded, ribs removed and minced fine
2 tsp. low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
2 cloves, garlic, minced
2 T. olive oil (for frying)
1 optional recipe of my dumplings: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2013/01/12/dumplings/

DIPPING SAUCE:

2 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. creamy natural peanut butter (omit if on Induction)
2 T. rice vinegar
1 tsp. ginger root, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. Sambal Oelek chili sauce (or Sriracha sauce)
2-3 drops liquid stevia or sucralose
1 T. low sodium soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
1 T. finely minced green onion
2 T. water

DIRECTIONS: If you wish to serve this dish with dumplings on the side, prepare a recipe of my glucomannan dumplings at the link above according to that recipe’s instructions, simmering them in plain water that is barely at a simmer. Be sure to make them real tiny, about ˝” is what I did, as they swell to about 3/4″ during simmering. When they are done, using a slotted spoon, dip them gently onto a plate. With paper towels, blot away as much water from around them as you can. Set the plate of dumplings aside for now. Sear them in an oil-glazed non-stick skillet if you like the browned bottom effect.

Mix the dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

Mix up the meat ingredients in a medium bowl with either a fork or your hands. Heat the 2 T. olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Form into 10 patties (mine were about 1˝ oz. each and about 2″ long). Place the meat patties in the skillet and brown on both sides until golden brown, making sure pink juices are no longer coming out of the meat when slightly pressed with the edge of your spatula. Turn off heat and dip them onto a serving platter in a circle. If serving with dumplings, serve those in the middle of the platter. You can rewarm the dumplings on defrost in your microwave if you feel so compelled, but I find room temperature is just fine since the meat is piping hot. Pour the dipping sauce into 3 tiny bowls and place one at each person’s place at table. I forked 1 dumpling with a bite of meat, dipped into the sauce and shoved the two right into my mouth! Pure heaven it was. I swear it tasted just like steamed dumplings! Now to see just how I can get that browned taste of Pot Stickers next time. Must brown my little dumplings in a skillet next time! I didn't get that idea until dinner was over.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes ten 1˝-oz. meat patties. The numbers below do include 1/10th of the sauce. The info below does NOT include the optional dumplings, but since they have negligible food value, I wouldn’t worry about them too much. They are virtually pure fiber. I get around 36-40 mini-dumplings or gnocchi out of the dumpling recipe so 3 dumplings only have around .1 net carb (or less)! Like I said, virtually negligible. Each meat pattie & sauce contains:

167 calories
14 g fat
1.11 g carbs, .16 g fiber, .95 g NET CARBS
8.7 g protein
142 mg sodium
153 mg potassium
15% RDA Vitamin B6, 16% B12, 12% C, 8% iron, 15.5% niacin, 14% phosphorous, 13% riboflavin, 24% selenium, 31% thiamin, 14% zinc
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-13, 11:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/224/180 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 21%

holy cow these are good and the dumplings are FANTASTIC *hugs* I really needed this recipe I was missing dumplings badly . thank you sooooo much!!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-13, 18:09
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Isn't is good? I'm so glad you like it as much as we did! And that dumpling recipe, they tell me on LCFriends forums, sears nicely in an oiled skillet for the real "Pot Sticker" browned dumpling flavor! I MUST do them that way next time! This recipe is going to be a regular for us.