Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 13:06

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%
Default Anybody else more of a gatherer than a hunter

I am alone in not really liking meat that much. I am a firm believer in the Paleo way of life but I honestly don't care for meat as much as I think other Paleo people do. I especially don't like meat that isn't ground up, like steak or something. I like fresh sausage and hamburger but I don't have a desire to eat it everyday, in fact if I eat a hamburger one day, meat is almost repulsive to me for the next few days. I could definitely go for days just eating fruit, veggies, nuts and fats. I am worried that by doing this I am not getting enough protein and also that I am getting way too many carbs. Does anyone think that it is okay to eat this way if it feels good or do you guys think I am in denial and that I'm just a carb junkie.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 13:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Aren't nuts a complete protein?

I like meat but I couldn't survive on just meat. I like sausages. Nummy.

How are you with fish? Do you have vegan moral sympathies you're struggling with?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 13:48

Although I do feel bad for killing animals to eat them I also feel like it is a very natural thing to do and that isn't what is standing in my way from eating meat all the time. I like fish ALOT but I dont always want to eat it. I dont think nuts have anywhere as much protein as meat. So far today I ate

Coconut milk, banana, strawberry and pineapple smoothie
apple and almond butter (about 1/3 cup)
avocado

I really like fatty fruity veggie things in case you cant tell

In fitday it says i ate something like 30 g protein. For the amount of calories i ate it doesnt seem like a lot

Is it okay to eat a whole lot of protein one day and then eat just a little for a few days afterward. I think that would be a good diet for me but don't know if protein can be used retroactively by the body or if you need a certain amount everyday
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 18:37

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Eating a lot of protein once every two or three days probably mimics our hunter/gatherer consumptive habits - I would say it is very in-line with Paleo.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 18:51
Registered Member

Plan: Paleolithic
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I second the suggestion of fish. Also, a rich stock made of meat, bone, and any other animal part is, in my opinion even better than meat alone in some ways. I believe it is even a good source of protein, though meat, I'm sure, is better. I use it in soups, but I also cook my my rice in it (I'm not totally paleo), in which you can hardly detect the taste of stock. Discussions about the proportion of meat to veggies have come up before and I think that many people agree that the "gathered" part probably constituted the better part of the paleo diet, so as long as you're getting some animal products in a week, I wouldn't fret.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-07, 06:37

Thanks everyone, those are the answers I was hoping to hear so I am excited. I decided to try a new way of eating for awhile that is eating fruits/veggies throughout the day and having a medium portion of some kind of meat at night. If I feel yucky about meat one night maybe I will try just a can of sardines or something.
I was thinking that real cavemen probably didn't have 3 meat meals a day as that would make no sense in their world so it was probably ok to eat fruit and stuff, but you know when you want to you can rationalize any behavior you have. I'm glad to hear others' opinions.