Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 07:27

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%
Default losing inches, not weight

can somebody explain this phenomenon to me please. I have a scale that reads weight and body fat percent. neither of these numbers has changed in the last month i have been doing neanderthin but this morning my waist was 1 1/2 inches smaller. i even changed the batteries thinking it may have been wrong and i got the same old numbers. I do not work out at all so i find it hard to believe that my fat is turning into muscle. Also if that were the case wouldnt my bfp decrease since my weight is remaining constant. dont get me wrong, i am not complaining, just curious.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 10:16

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I am doing Atkins, just popped in here for a visit. This is a common phenomena on ketogenic diets. Don't worry so much about the scale's reluctance to move. Inches lost are more definitive of weightloss success.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-20-04, 08:04

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

does anyone the scientific explanation though. like what is happenening in your body when this happens. I guess i could go do research and find out but im lazy and im sure somebody on this forum has the answer. thanks
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-20-04, 09:59

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

I don't know for sure, but I remember reading somewhere that our bodies often store water in place of the fat for awhile as a sort of "placeholder" for in case you gain it back. So, the water weighs more but tales up less space than fat, and I believe those bodyfat scales are affected by water % retention which might explain the bf% number not changing?

Maybe someone has a better idea, I've experienced the same thing and I'm very curious about it too!

Hey Aimee, congrats on the shrinking waistline, our height, start weight and goal are nearly identical!