Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-08, 14:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 261/235/200 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress:

Hey Glenda

I'm using "Kay's Final Bread" recipe, which can be found here.

I find that I have to add about a 1/4 cup of water to that recipe to take it from making gnarly-misshapen bread to fluffy loaf. I use a bread machine, on the quick bake setting.

Here's a few notes on ingredients:

Vital Wheat Gluten - "Super Gluten" from Save On Foods, or "80% Vital Wheat Gluten Flour" from Choices

Whey Protein - I use soy protein isolate from choices, or another isolate from Famous Foods.

Oat Flour - I usually substitute this with soy flour (Bobs Red Mill available at Save On)

Flax Meal - I grind my own from Western Family Brand flax seeds at Save On in my Magic Bullet blender

Stevia - I use the concentrate from save on, or superstore. You have to read the labels though, because most are like splenda and add in fillers to bulk it up (and add carbs).

I haven't calculated this exact recipe for carb count, because I often play around with my substitution for the oat flour (sometimes I add 1/4 cup bran, and an extra 1/4 cup flax, for example), and its been in flux for me because of my ingredients troubles, but the last calculation I have for it was ~2 or less carbs per slice. Be sure to calculate for yourself from your ingredients though. good luck

Cory
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-08, 17:58

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Thanks Cory. I always forget to check that recipe section! I'm obviously missing some good ones.

The thermostat's shot in my ancient bread machine so I just use it for kneading and I'll treat the dough the way Kay suggests. And thanks for the substitute suggestions -- I have some oat fibre (I presume that's the same as oat flour) and I also have some soy flour on hand, also a couple of different protein isolates, both whey and wheat, so I'll do some experimenting to see which we prefer and whether I get the same results from each.

Thanks again, and also for the reminder of the older recipe section!
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-08, 18:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendarc
Thanks Cory. I always forget to check that recipe section! I'm obviously missing some good ones.

The thermostat's shot in my ancient bread machine so I just use it for kneading and I'll treat the dough the way Kay suggests. And thanks for the substitute suggestions -- I have some oat fibre (I presume that's the same as oat flour) and I also have some soy flour on hand, also a couple of different protein isolates, both whey and wheat, so I'll do some experimenting to see which we prefer and whether I get the same results from each.

Thanks again, and also for the reminder of the older recipe section!

Actually, oat fiber is not the same as oat flour, not nearly. Oat fiber is VERY moisture absorbent and like about 98% fiber -- and it's on the label; oat flour is very finely ground whole oats (and you know the percentages on that). Bob's Red Mill makes oat flour in bags, but it's SO expensive and imported as well (as are all Bob's Red Mill, there's not a single BRM product I want to use that I haven't found a perfectly good local, less expensive version of). I also will take a crack at making my own, the Robin Hood Wild Oats in the bag, on sale, or Scotch OatMeal (any brand), etc., into the food processor and around and around. Or the bulk bins because they have the better grinders. For sure the bulk section of Lifestyles Markets (and their "prepackaged" house brands section over in the baking aisle) has a better priced product.

Soy flour (roasted, defatted, regular, stoneground, etc.) are to be found in many brands and in bulk in almost any health food store, and quite often in places just like Thrifty's or Save-On or even Superstore. A good base product for baking is the defatted, else the stoneground.

I always check those places (various bulk and baking/house label sections) before I'll buy BRM, these days.

ps: my old yummy bread machine rye recipe is in that recipe section, too. Those were the days, the frontier of LC baking and experimenting...and just what we could get around here for ingredients, late 90s and early 00s...
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-09, 23:14

Stats: 227/227/140 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

Hi I'm new to this forum and will be starting a low carb diet in the next few days. Can anyone tell me where I can find pork rinds in Vancouver? I live on the west side and the safeway and superstore near me don't have them. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me which store on what street? Thanks!
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 00:24

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

My local Safeway (Oakridge) has pork rinds in the Asian foods section. If you can make it to the East side, many ethnic stores carry them. The East-West Market at 26th and Main has two varieties - I like the "old fashioned" ones, which have some fat left on and are less styrofoam-y than the more processed ones. East-West also has a permanent sale on unsweetened Almond Breeze, 2 carbs a cup, great milk substitute!

Rachel
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 00:33

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Rachel, that's timing! I'll be at Oakridge on Sunday the 15th - a stamp & coin show at the Oakridge auditorium, and we usually grab a bite for lunch at the Safeway - I'll have to wander around the store to see if I can find the pork rinds! I'll pay close attention in the Asian food section - thanks!!!
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 12:53

Stats: 227/227/140 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

Oh Rachel, you're awesome! Thank you so much. I will be going there tonight to get some. I will also check out the East-West Market too. I appreciate your help. Have a great day!
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-09, 15:21

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

Aw, blush ... thanks, guys!
R
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 20:07

Stats: 212/184.6/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Surprised no one really mentioned this but....if you want Torani or Davinci syrups, head down to Bellingham. The cash and carry or Iowa st has every flavour under the sun and they are $3-4 each.

Also, there is (was??) a low carb bakery behind the Safeway on Austin in Coquitlam. I havn't been in a while, but they used to sell some packaged products as well.

Best bet for low carb bars is the Deals Only on Sunset in Bellingham. Lots of sugar free chocolate and I've seen Dreamfields there before for .69c a box.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 22:16

Plan: primal blueprint
Stats: 226/000/000 Female 5' 3"
BF:36
Progress: 100%

perclady, you are a GEM! thank you for the helpful info.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-09, 17:06

BF:

**blush**

Actually heading down next weekend - will post what goodies I find.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-09, 23:47

BF:

OK, here's what I found. The cash and carry had tons of Davinci and Torani syrups for $3.88. I bought French Vanilla, Cherry and Pineapple. They also had the best price on LC tortillas.

Deals didn't have hardly any LC/sugar free products. In the past they had tons. They did have a sweet deal on Crystal Light singles. 2 boxes of 14 tubes for $1. I stocked up. They had many flavours we don't have in Canada, like Blueberry white tea.

Trader Joe's (across the street from Deals) has some neat stuff. I got a pound of Thai chili and lime cashews for about $5.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-09, 10:52

Plan: primal blueprint
Stats: 226/000/000 Female 5' 3"
BF:36
Progress: 100%

haven't tried the cashews, but the pistachios are sooo good.