Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-06, 05:40

Plan: 30/60/90
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
COUNTS:
Counts are for total recipe, excluding the sprinkled Splenda/cinnamon
Calories: 586
Fat: 52g
Carbs: 6g
Protein: 24g

The calorie and fat content does not seem to include anything for the oil absorbed during frying.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-06, 09:04

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 297/259.8/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 26%

These are awesome little things! I found the flavour to be great, although the texture was grainy. They cooked up quickly. Nice for a treat!

Last edited by NewPhoenix : Tue, Jan-31-06 at 09:05. Reason: cause I can't spell
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-06, 12:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_crone
The calorie and fat content does not seem to include anything for the oil absorbed during frying.

Do you have any method or experience that would help in accounting for a realistic quantity of oil "used" when deepfrying? Something I haven't come up with yet, but would be very interested...
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-06, 04:05

Plan: 30/60/90
Stats: 000/000/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

It sure would!
Short of measuring the quantity oil before and after frying, I can't think of anything. That would be easiest when shallow frying. I have measured fat run-off from meat by the tablespoonful and deducted that.

I make shallow fried pakoras sometimes. I need to figure out how much oil they absorb on average too. For things like crepes I just spray the pan with oil and count that in my daily totals. Sometimes I 'fry' onions in a non-stick pan without any fat at all!
It is a concern to people like myself who need to keep tight control of calories in order to lose.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-06, 16:49
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 196/189.4/160 Female 5' 6"
BF:44
Progress: 18%

These were out of this world......had to beat the adult kids away with a stick!
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-06, 22:42
Registered Member

Plan: Supercharged Low Carb
Stats: 340/150/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I copied this recipe last weekend, and finally made them last night! These have the best flavor I have found so far. Thanks for posting, my family thanks you too!
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 21:35
Registered Member

Stats: 285/158/150 Female 5'4"
BF:ohmy!..not
Progress: 94%
Default Omg!

Saw this recipe this afternoon.... had to make them right away.... before dinner LOL

They were excellent! I actually had to make a second batch - - - my 2, 4, and 6 year old sons devoured them all before I got any. Even my non-LC hubby thought they were very good... this is alot coming from him.

This is a big WINNER AND A KEEPER!!!!
Thank you so much for finding my Krispy Kreme replacement!

-Beverly
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 23:17
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I have read all the great reviews and these do sound like something wonderful but I keep wondering if they will taste like protein powder? I can barely stomach protein shakes when I drink them because I just dont like that protein taste. I dont like bars or atkins shakes either. Do these have that protein flavor to them? I have some french vanilla designer whey just sitting in my cabinet and I would love to try something with them that would be edible.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 00:09

Plan: Body For Life
Stats: 320/295/180 Female 67 inches
BF:too much thanks!

Well, I may not be the best judge since I enjoy protein shakes (although only with the whey powder - Atkins RTD shakes taste gross to me), but I LOVED these doughnut holes! They tasted just like the real thing to me, more like the funnel cake taste than a heavier doughnut taste. If anything, they were almost too sweet - *almost*. What the heck, give it a shot! This recipe is one of the few things I will make with my Designer Whey other than shakes.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 08:42

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

i too detest the flavour of whey protein shakes, i have to use one that has some kind of 'flavour burst' techonology that wraps the protein in a flavoured covering that disguises that horrible taste....i'll try this recipe w/my leftover regular vanilla whey and see how it is
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Mar-14-06, 18:15
Registered Member

Stats: 196/189.4/160 Female 5' 6"
BF:44

I didn't taste the protein powder in them either but I also like the shakes. I'd be interested to know if you can taste it or not. Please let us know. For me, I can't stomach anything with pork rinds!
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 09:28
Registered Member

Stats: 285/158/150 Female 5'4"
BF:ohmy!..not
Progress: 94%

Honestly, I really couldn't taste the protein powder flavor. I use Amplify vanilla by Release. I get it from GNC. It is mild and doesn't taste bad at all. It also mixes into recipies well, not sure how it mixes with plain water to make a shake though, I never tried it.

-Beverly
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 13:45

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

This looks like a great recipe to try, but as a Brit who has never heard of 'funnel cake' I am trying to work out how you would cook it if you want to make a funnel cake (or cakes? - I cant tell from the googled images what sort of size a funnel cake is!)

Do the 'ribbons' join up into one big blob or do they stay wiggled around and separated?
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 18:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 5 feet 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
This looks like a great recipe to try, but as a Brit who has never heard of 'funnel cake' I am trying to work out how you would cook it if you want to make a funnel cake (or cakes? - I cant tell from the googled images what sort of size a funnel cake is!)

Do the 'ribbons' join up into one big blob or do they stay wiggled around and separated?

If you go to fairs in the U.S., I think funnel cakes are like 5-6 inches in diameter or even as big as a dinner plate. But, yes they sort of join up since the batter expands when fried. Think of dropping a string in 1 spot. Reminds me of snowflakes or doilies. HTH.
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 19:26
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Take a ziplock bag, fill with the funnel cake batter, cut off an end, and pipe it into very hot grease. The first part of the batter starts cooking as soon as it hits, so the strings kind of keep thier shape, but cook together where they touch, like when donuts fry too close together.