Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-13, 13:34

Plan: Paleo-Ketogenic, LCHF
Stats: 358/263/235 Male 6' 6"
BF: More to Love
Progress: 77%
Default Typod's Gym Log

Decided to start a Gym Log to help keep me focused on the exercise side of my new WOL. My main Journal (The Path to Homeostasis) has really helped me to get my thoughts and struggles out there, and help hold me accountable to keep at it everyday.

Today is the first day of week 3 of my ketogenic diet. Quick background, I follow a generic diet based on Atkins Induction, Protein Power, and various other diets of the kind. I've greatly considered switching to a Paleo style diet once I reach goal, or am at least in a maintenance stage. I've lost great amounts of weight on Atkins in the past, and am just now returning to get my life back on track!

Cardio: 20 minutes stationary bike

Chest: 8, 5, 3 reps of 60lbs straight bar bench press.

Arms: 8, 5, 3 reps of 35lbs curl bar bicep curls. 10 reps tricep curls. 8, 5, 3 reps side raises DB 10lbs each. 10 skull crushers ~ 10lbs.

Core: 10 reps crunches, top and each side (total of 30) and 10 leg-ups for bottom abs.

Legs: 2 sets of 10 squats, body weight only.

I just threw this workout together in my home gym because I wanted to get something done. Next time will be much more organized. I need to bring the weight down and increase the reps, I'm strength training not bulking.

I will probably "officially" start doing a full body routine of compound exercises (bench press, squats, pushups, dead lift, etc) and stick to that 3-4 times a week for a few weeks before starting any isolation. I'm even reluctant to do curls yet, but I'll see where this log and my day-to-day take me. Back in the day (wow, I sounded old just then) I did a 5-day split (Legs, shoulders, chest, core, arms) but that's way over my head right now, and I just need to focus on cardio and basic compound exercises for the moment.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-13, 14:38

I took the time to write up a template for my workouts that I plan to start next Monday. I'm taking the rest of this week to up my cardio and mentally condition myself for hitting the irons next week. I know building muscle will slow down the visible numbers of weight loss, but will aid in the loss of FAT.

Here is my basic template (for mon/wed/fri). I will add my weights and any changes to sets/reps per entry. This is just the outline...

Day 1

1. Bench Press (1 Warmup set at 80% 10 reps, 2 working sets at 100% 10 reps)
2. Dumbbell Fly (3 Sets of 10 reps)
3. Inclined Bench Press (3 Sets of 10 reps)
4. Front Dumbbell Raises (3 Sets of 10 reps)
5. Shoulder Press (3 Sets of 10 reps)
6. Side Dumbbell Raises (3 Sets of 10 reps)
7. Dumbbell Row (3 Sets of 10 reps)
8. Crunches (3 Sets of 15 reps (5 top, 5 each side), 3 Sets of 10 Leg-ups)

Day 2

1. Deadlift (1 Warmup set at 80% 10 reps, 2 working sets at 100% 10 reps)
2. Squats (3 Sets of 10 reps)
3. Calve Raises (3 Sets of 10 reps)
4. Straight Leg Deadlift (3 Sets of 10 reps)
5. Bent Over Row (3 Sets of 10 reps)
6. Back Extensions (3 Sets of 10 reps)
7. Crunches (3 Sets of 15 reps (5 top, 5 each side), 3 Sets of 10 Leg-ups)
Day 3

1. Hammer Curls (3 Sets of 10 reps)
2. EZ Bar Curls (3 Sets of 10 reps)
3. Isolation Curls (3 Sets of 10 reps)
4. EZ Bar Tricep Curls (3 Sets of 10 reps)
5. EZ Bar Tricep Extensions (3 Sets of 10 reps)
6. Dumbbell Tricep Kickbacks (3 Sets of 10 reps)
7. Crunches (3 Sets of 15 reps (5 top, 5 each side), 3 Sets of 10 Leg-ups)

Last edited by typod360 : Wed, Jan-16-13 at 14:45.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-13, 09:40

Alright, yesterday was my first of a basic 3-day split. I was very lucky to have a close friend join me and help me out (plus has agreed to do all these workouts with me!) It is important to note that my Olympic bar is only 25 pounds rather than the standard 44. I am including the bar weight into totals using that bar. Dumbbell weights listed are per dumbbell, not the total of both.

Here is what I did and the weights and reps:

Bench Press: 55lbs 3 sets: 10, 10, 10
Dumbbell Fly: 10lbs 3 sets: 10, 10, 8
Inclined Bench Press: 75lbs 3 sets: 8, 8, 6
Front Dumbbell Raise: 10lbs 3 sets: 10, 10, 8
Shoulder Press: 55lbs 3 sets: 6, 6, 4
Side Dumbbell Raise: 7.5lbs 3 sets: 10, 9, 6
Dumbbell Row: 10lbs 3 sets: 10, 10, 10

Here's what I learned: Firstly, I went to heavy on my incline BP. My first BP was a bit light so I upped it, but over-shot my ability by about 10-15 pounds. Next week I will try upping my BP by 10, and lowering my incline BP by 10. My Shoulder Press was too heavy. I lowered the weight knowing that I couldn't take the 75 that was on there, but the 55 was still to heavy. For this I'll remove 10 next week. Lastly, the DB row that I ended with was a bit light, I could have (and should have) pushed out more.

Although a few of these ended in complete failure, I didn't intentionally push myself to failure. I want to get at least a few weeks of strength training (time for my minor muscles to get a little stronger) then I'll push my last set of each exercise to failure.

I want to up my cardio this week. I didn't do any yesterday and I feel that was selling myself short. I also planned on adding an ab workout, but I ended up not doing that. Perhaps I'll do both of those today, and continue to do that on my off days.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-13, 20:43

Did TONS of walking today at the Children's Museum, and even a little jogging (downhill, but 3 stories worth of ramp.) My workout today was a little lacking because I was rushed, but I did what I could with the time I had.

Deadlift: 55lbs 1 set 10 reps
Straight leg deadlift: 55lbs 1 set 10 reps
Bent over row: 55lbs 1 set 10 reps
Squats: 55lbs 1 set of 10 reps

I think I could go up on the deadlifts, but probably not the others, definitely not for 3 sets. The squats need to come down a bit. I made it, but I know I couldn't do 2 more sets, heck, maybe not even 2 more reps!

I'll stick to it. Arms and core Friday.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-13, 21:56

Plan: Whole Foods Atkins
Stats: 178/168/150 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 36%

Wow...good for you! I don't even know what half of all that means...lol! But I agree exercise needs to be a part of our weight loss and health regenerative journey.
Best to you and much progress...go for it! I just started an exercise journal also. Hopefully it will help to keep track. Yesterday I almost didn't do it because a very busy day. Then I just decided to go to the gym anyway in the evening. So good to keep on going!

Vicki
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-13, 09:30

Awesome! Sometimes that determination is lost on me. lol. I've been meaning to do some cardio pretty much every day, and for one reason or another I never end up getting it done. Today is day 3 of my split, and I'm definitely getting that done (arm day, my favorite.) I'll have to check in your log and motivate you to exercise, that may remind me to get off my tush and do it too. lol.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-13, 20:16

Plan: Whole Foods Atkins
Stats: 178/168/150 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 36%

Hope you're doing ok with workouts! Sometimes things get so hectic...hard to do it but sure feels good after!