Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-07-22, 12:59

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default New obesity drug

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/28/...ide-wegovy.html

Excerpts from the article"
Quote:
An experimental drug (Tirzepatide) has enabled people with obesity or who are overweight to lose about 22.5 percent of their body weight, about 52 pounds on average, in a large trial, the drug’s maker announced on Thursday.

The company, Eli Lilly, has not yet submitted the data for publication in a peer-reviewed medical journal or presented them in a public setting. But the claims nonetheless amazed medical experts.

The results do seem to be amazing.
Quote:
The Eli Lilly study lasted 72 weeks and involved 2,539 participants.

Quite a long study.
Quote:
Patients injected themselves with the drug once a week.

I am surprised that they got the subjects to inject themselves weekly for over a year. I have a needle-phobia and could not do that.
Quote:
But prices may be a barrier. Insurers often will not pay for weight loss drugs. The Novo Nordisk drug, whose brand name is Wegovy, has a list price of $1,349.02 per month.

If the price is anywhere near that then most people needing it could not afford it; especially since it is every month for the rest of your life.
Quote:
All received diet counseling to reduce their calorie intake by about 500 a day.

Reducing calories is not something that most people can do long-term, even with counseling. I wonder if the participants for the study were specially selected.
Quote:
The medications are among a new class of drugs called incretins, which are naturally occurring hormones that slow stomach emptying, regulate insulin and decrease appetite. The side effects include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. But most patients tolerate or are not bothered by these effects.

I would be very bothered by nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea. Those side effects would definitely cause me to lose weight though!
Quote:
Diet and exercise, combined with earlier obesity drugs, usually yield perhaps a 10 percent weight loss in patients. That is enough to improve health, but not nearly enough to make a big difference in the lives of peoples who are obese.

The only other treatment is bariatric surgery, which can result in substantial weight loss. But many people are ineligible or simply do not want the surgery.

So, the only methods that they can come up with are the traditional diet (low-fat) and exercise. I have had great results with low-carb eating and have enjoyed the good results for 20 years with no drug cost.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-07-22, 13:04

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Hmmm. Was there a control group counseled on a 500 calorie deficit to compare to drug plus 500cal deficit?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-07-22, 13:12

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Hmmm. Was there a control group counseled on a 500 calorie deficit to compare to drug plus 500cal deficit?
Yes there was. The control group lost an average of 5 pounds.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-08-22, 07:30

Plan: Atkins, Dr. Westman
Stats: 267/167/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 82%

I think this drug is similar to Ozempic. Ozempic is also helpful in losing weight and is targeted for type 2 diabetics. My husband has type 2 diabetes and has been taking ozempic several months, and is steadily losing weight...nothing dramatic, but about a pound or 1/2 pound a week. It is also an injectible, and comes in a multiple use tube like insulin and is a tiny needle that is changed out with each shot.

Since he is diabetic, it is covered by our insurance (Medicare and our supplemental) we have to pay our top tier amount which is reasonable.

If this new Lily drug is also used to lower blood sugar levels like ozempic, it will probably eventually be covered by insurance as Ozempic is - (depending on your insurance drug coverage)

I asked to be put on ozempic when I saw how easily my husband was losing weight but my NP would not do it as she said it would drop my blood sugar levels too low as I was not diabetic. (but she says I am pre-diabetic!) .....Not sure if insurance would cover either as just a weight loss drug if you were not diabetic..

Interesting to follow though....
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-09-22, 18:28

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

500 fewer calories per day was a sure way to make the test work.

As far as I can tell, every drug has side effects, mostly undesirable.

It's good to have drugs when nothing else works, and you need them to keep from getting sicker or dying. On the other hand, if you can do it with diet and exercise, it's a better choice.

I know diet and exercise isn't easy, and harder for some than others, so I don't want to be judgmental.

After a few different attempts, keto and walking 2 miles a day worked for me. Now I'm the only person in my immediate family who is under 300 pounds. My BMI is actually normal!!!

Bob
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-12-22, 09:27

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger

So, the only methods that they can come up with are the traditional diet (low-fat) and exercise. I have had great results with low-carb eating and have enjoyed the good results for 20 years with no drug cost.

And I just laughed and laughed because I remember anal leakage. That was a deal breaker...

I think these were people who were feeling terrible and were highly motivated. But as Mike points out, we can get the results, even better results! without upsetting our digestive system or potentially endangering our health.

I'm glad bariatric surgery is becoming more correctible, but people still find themselves in a constant search for the nutrients their body is not so good at digesting afterwards. This was responsible for side effects which didn't show up for years, perhaps. But were terrible all the same, like the high possibility that this can cause seizures and mental and physical problems so people can't work and parent with the ease they probably hoped for.