Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 09:42
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 148/141/117 Female 5' 4"
BF:Way Too Much
Progress: 23%
Default How does this CAP meal plan look?

Here is what I would be eating.

morning
1 cup coffee with two creams, two splenda sweetners (within 15 min)

afternoon
2 oz chicken

30 minutes before dinner 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

dinner
1 cup salad
3 cups pasta with veggies
desert

30 minutes before bed 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

Also, is it okay for me to take my supplements?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 10:06

Plan: Ketogenic Diet Dr Westman
Stats: 267/243.6/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi bellablue7,

If you are trying to do the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet I can see a couple of items in your menu that don't match how the diet is written.

Your CM meals should be 4oz of protein and a cup of low carb vegetables.

I don't see any protein in your RM dinner. The RM meal should be 2 cups of salad, protein, low carb veges and your carb.

I believe that the apple cider vinegar is a Reward Meal only item.

What are you taking for supplements?

I'm sure that there are other people here who can add some further insight for you. If you haven't already done so I suggest that you pick up one of the Heller's books for more detailed information. This way of eating does work as written.

Have a great day!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 10:25
Registered Member

I have the book and I have read it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 10:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 340/285/175 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 33%

I would do a little more for breakfast than coffee. Like Dar said, protein and a little bit of veggies - like maybe a scrambled egg with some diced veggies in it. Or a piece of chicken and some raw veggies and dip. Just small portions.

And instead of a snack, do a small CM lunch similar to what you have for breakfast in size. Maybe a salad with chicken, tuna or other protein.

Are you doing CAD or CALP? There is a difference in how you plan your RM. What you have is a CAD meal listed but not a CALP meal. On CAD, you can eat anything in the one hour time limit. On CALP, it must be balanced as Dar suggested.

Yes, take your supplements. I've used the vinegar at any time during the day without problems because I use it to make my salad dressing.

Hope this helps! Please post more to let us know how it's going for you!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 10:38
Registered Member

I have the original book. I tried CAD about five years ago after my first daughter was born and lost twenty pounds pretty easily. I have tried to stay on Atkins, but my temptation for carbs lets me get about 4 days into it and then my cravings kick in. I also don't like the way it made me feel.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 11:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 340/285/175 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellablue7
I have the original book. I tried CAD about five years ago after my first daughter was born and lost twenty pounds pretty easily. I have tried to stay on Atkins, but my temptation for carbs lets me get about 4 days into it and then my cravings kick in. I also don't like the way it made me feel.

Your RM is acceptable for CAD....but I'd still rethink the rest of your menu a bit. You can be setting yourself up for failure but not doing the CM's as written. All I see is one portion of protein for the entire day. Even if you are a vegetarian, this is not enough. By making your RM so carb heavy you could also have some problems, especially just starting again. Good luck!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 14:42
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi Bella-
you asked, and this is JMHO-
but I think posting is a great idea.

If all you want for CM in the morning is coffee, go for it. I try and not have AS, I think I release insulin with it, but it is a YMMV issue.

Your lunch CM is WAY too small. If you read all the Hellers books (as I have) they did not mean to limit the protein to 4 ounces- 4 ounces is s suggestied portion. I never weigh or measure, and just have protein and veggies. A chicken breast, a burger, a chicken quarter, a hotdog, tuna, sardines, turkey, chicken on a salad, salmon, all kinds of leftovers. For CM veggies just look at the list. I do mainly letuce, spinach, and green beans.

THe vinegar is RM only. If you want to have it before your RM dinner, you can but having it 30 minutes before limits your RM to the hour from that point.

The RM is not okay with any Heller plan- there is no protein. In all the Heller books, all the Protein Power books and all the Atkins books there is a common thread- you only eat carbs with protein. The books all treat this differently, but you combine carbs and protein. Now if you threw a chicken breast, a burger, a sausage, a steak, shrimp- whatever- into the sauce with the veggies for your pasta- that would be a fine CM for CAD. For CALP or CAHHP you would need more salad and would balance the veggies/carb/protein.

I think you are hungry and having cravings (from your other post) because you are not eating enough. Veggies will fill you up, and protein satisfies.

Does this help? Is it making any sense?Please let me know-
E
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is what I would be eating.

morning
1 cup coffee with two creams, two splenda sweetners (within 15 min)

afternoon
2 oz chicken

30 minutes before dinner 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

dinner
1 cup salad
3 cups pasta with veggies
desert

30 minutes before bed 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

Also, is it okay for me to take my supplements?

Thanks!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 15:24
Registered Member

what about adding the chicken to my salad is that okay?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-08, 18:11
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
ading what chicken to what salad? If you mean adding at least 4 ounces of chicken to a salad for lunch- great. One of my favorite lCM unches is exactly that. If you mean adding at least 4 ounces of chicken to your RM 1 cup salad, that is a much better RM than the one with no protein. For me, the dinner would not work to lose weight but I could maintain. You said dessert- what dessert? Is it yogurt, or fruit, or cake or ice cream? No limits on CAd or CALP, but for me the pasta and dessert would not work to lose- but maybe to maintain. I really balanced my RM- it made a big difference for me.

Tonight I had salad (at least 2-3 c lettuce, green peppers, homemade dressing with olive oil and balsamac vinegar and garlic), roast turkey (a wing and a slice of white meat), about a cup of corn casserole, cooked spinach, and a cookie. I am feeling very full and am very satidsfied. [DH ate 2 servings of the casserole, a beer, and the rest of the bag (maybe 4) of cookies].

How does this sound?
2 ounces of protein is, just in my opinion,not enough.
And more veggies would help, too.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-09, 10:41
Registered Member

Plan: ~ CAD ~
Stats: 276.6/272.0/175 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 5%
Smile

Good Info...