Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 14:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/222/199
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default No Carbs?

I am only on my second day of Induction, but I think I could do this diet eating little to no carbs. I only ate about 5g of carbs on day one. So far today I have only had 2g. Is this bad?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 15:08
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile

hi Ricamortys (I love that, by the way)

From a purely technical, science point of view, yes, you could get along eating no carbs ... with no adverse effect on your health. The original Atkins plan, back in the 70's ... started you out at 5g carbs a day, then you gradually added a few more over succeeding weeks. But ... he discovered after 20+ years of treating patients at his clinic .. that eating 20g carbs per day right from the start will produce just as successful weight and fat loss, and ketosis will happen just as fast. Plus the fiber and vitamins/minerals in veggies will be helpful to your overall health.

Why would you want to be so severe and restrictive?? Such a diet will become boring very quickly without the variety of some salad and low carb vegetables, such as broccoli, zucchini or green beans. Dairy products -- cream and cheese -- have smalll amounts of carbs, so do eggs and most shellfish .. and processed meats - bacon, ham, sausages etc ... If you choose to drink coffee or decaf, there's carbs in that too.

A truly NO carb diet would consist of pure fats and oils, and pure muscle meats - beef, lamb, pork, poultry, fish. Plus water.

My suggestion is to get your hands on Atkins New Diet Revolution and/or Protein Power ... you can probably borrow from the library if you don't want to buy anything. Learn how to make this something you can live with. It's not a contest to see how long you can go without. It's about learning a new way of eating that will help you lose fat, correct metabolic problems with insulin and get healthy.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 15:14

Stats: 233/222/199
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Thanks...

Thanks for your response. It sounds as like this eating plan is actually pretty flexible. It doesn't sound like there would be an any advantage to eliminating carbs completely. I will throw a few more carbs into my diet for variety.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 15:39

Stats: 299/288/197
BF:
Progress: 11%
Red face TIRED

Do I need to wait a certain amount of time to feel this energy thing happen. To tell ya the truth i have less energy now, Can there be a certain reason for this? Am i not eating enough? Help i expected to be a big ball of energy.

#5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 16:17

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

It takes about 5 to 7 days for the energy to kick in. Reason being is the first couple of days your body is starving for the quick fix of glucose it is use to getting and it's being very lazy in converting all that protein it's getting into energy.

Once it figures out that is all it is going to get, BINGO! Tons of energy and then the weight starts melting away

Just hang in there. Drink lots of water. EAT if you feel weak or light headed. It's your body's way of complaining it's hungry.

Just FYI...When I started low carbin back in April of last year...I too felt like I was going to fall flat on my face from being exhausted. My arms, shoulders, legs all felt like they weighed a ton of bricks. I would fall asleep on the couch at 7pm at night. After the 5th or 6th day I started to notice I was staying up until 10 or 11 pm and not even feeling sleepy. So just hang in there a bit longer. It will get better I promise!

Last edited by agonycat : Thu, Jan-03-02 at 16:26.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 16:28

BF:
Default Tired

Thanks,
I figured thats what it was. Well i cant wait for the energy. How do you not get sick of eating meat and is there a limit to how much eggs you can eat?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 16:37

Well, if you mix it up it doesn't really seem like all that much meat. I get burned out on eggs!

Remember eggs have carbs...so you can't go over board on eating them.

Let me run over to your journal and see what your menus look like. Maybe I can help make it to where it doesn't seem like an all meat diet

Pokey doesn't have a journal yet! *hint hint* Go start one up so we can see what you are eating
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 16:47

BF:
Default Journal?

What? Where? How? hehe I am so dense at this
Help please.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 16:55

Here ya go my dear

http://forum.lowcarber.org/f85/

This is the N-S section. Just start a new thread with your own information. You can browse through other journals there before you start your own so you get an idea of what to put into it.

It's all about you, and us prying into your fridge *laughs*
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 16:58

BF:

I have looked everywhere for journal i dont see it.
Its probably in the most obvious place huh?
Thanks
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 17:00

BF:

ok gotcha
Thanks

#12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 17:09

BF:

ok i went and did my journal lool it over and tell me if i did anything wrong.