Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-09, 12:00
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Cinnamon "Candy Coated" Nuts

Saturday I made the most awesome candy-coated almonds. I cannot stop eating them. They have a really crunchy hard-candy shell and are dusted with cinnamon/Splenda. Here's the "recipe," with the amounts left very much up to your own personal taste:

Hil's Cinnamon-Splenda Nuts
Salted butter
Xylitol
Cinnamon
Splenda
A shaker full of cinnamon/Splenda mixture
Plain nuts (although I think salted might be good too). I used almonds.

Melt the butter in a large skillet, when it's just melted, stir in some xylitol and cinnamon until the mixture is a bit thick and tastes sweet enough to you. Salt is a good addition also because I like the sweet-salty combo, but that's optional. Let the mixture boil and cook down a bit until it's rather syrupy, then stir in enough nuts so there's just a bit of a syrup puddle left in the pan. Cook them a minute or two, stirring. Turn the nuts out onto some aluminum foil (they will be very sticky). Let cool a minute or two, but no longer.

Dump some nuts (or all of them if your bowl is big enough) into a bowl with a lid, or a big Ziploc bag. Dump in a lot, and I mean a lot, of the cinnamon-Splenda mixture. Shake to coat the nuts. Break up the stuck-together ones with a fork, dump in more cinnamon/Splenda, and shake again. Keep breaking up chunks, adding more and shaking until every nut is individually coated and non-sticky. Pour out onto clean foil to harden completely (takes a few hours).

This reminded me in a way of making "puppy chow," you know the Chex cereal coated in chocolate/peanut butter and then tossed with powdered sugar til it's dry and coated. The nuts harden with a very crunchy shell and they're absolutely delicious! And much easier than this recipe makes it sound, I promise.

NOTE: Yes, I do think using xylitol in this recipe is important. You can try it with just Splenda, but the xylitol is what makes the syrup thicken and creates the hard-candy coating. Splenda just won't do that. Might still be sweet, but it will be much thinner and won't coat the nuts nearly as well. I ordered my xylitol from netrition.com ages ago; it measures cup-for-cup like sugar or splenda does so it's easily used in recipes. I would think any other polyol would work just as well, if you have it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-09, 13:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've done something similar but I use Erythritol rather than Xylitol.
They're insanely good.

I just melt the E. in the butter, toss in the nuts, salt. Let them get roasted and then cool.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-09, 08:10
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Now I'm trying to figure out if I could throw in some cocoa powder in place of the cinnamon, to make a chocolate-coated version. Hmmm....
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 12:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/148/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I've done something similar but I use Erythritol rather than Xylitol.
They're insanely good.

I just melt the E. in the butter, toss in the nuts, salt. Let them get roasted and then cool.

I had read somewhere someone does this with coconut oil too. It sounds pretty easy so Iam going to give it a try.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-09, 20:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/148/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I tried this tonight with the CO and Malitol. It was a good way to get some more CO in. Very good.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-20-18, 20:55

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

I’m wondering how much cinnamon to use for these things. How much cinnamon per cup of sugar substitute would you recommend? Anybody? I know this is a very old thread.